20,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
Is your dash correct - drove 61.8 miles at 3.9 m/kWh and still have 3 bars remaining? Looks like freeway driving at 65-70 mph?

Yes, typical freeway driving for some of it. I drove to the Ecotality event in Carmel Valley at the Grand Del Mar Resort (wow, what a place). That's only about 25 miles round trip on the 56 freeway. The rest was school 1, dentist, school 2, gym, restaurant, etc.

Don't be fooled by the 3 bars. I drove 20 miles in the morning, and then topped off the battery back to 100%, but didn't reset the trip odometer. So, I drove about 42 miles to get to 3 bars (about 24 to 30 miles remaining), so 66-72 miles range. Obviously, I wasn't keeping super close records today, but it looks like I'm coming up short of the expected 82 miles at 3.9.

Of course, my morning trip was a bit cool, but the battery should have been in the 55-60F temp range.

TonyWilliams said:
Nubo said:
TonyWilliams said:
10 months, 12 days. The car did sit for several weeks while I was out of town.

Tony, if I may ask (off topic) -- did you notice any appreciable self-discharge while gone, or was it left plugged-in? I was gone for 10 days, stored at about 65% charge unplugged and lost only 1 mile range (per CARWINGS). People keep asking me about the Tesla "Bricking" and I give them what I know about the LEAF's discharge rate, which was tiny for me but I only have the one data point.

Sorry, but I don't use the GoM or CarWings. If you note in the picture, I actually cover the GoM. I haven't noticed anything unusual after relatively short week periods. ....

Oh, I see. I was reading it as if the car had sat for several weeks consecutively.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Yes, I'm already over 22,000 at not quite 7 months. I agree the car has been pretty much trouble free so far.

It is difficult to tell if the change in battery is due to cold or miles. Wasn't going to say anything definitive until next summer when I can take the weather out of the equation. I'm running over 3K miles a month.
Have you hit the 30,000 mile mark yet?

Thanks for asking - I will move through 35,000 miles tonight - just a couple of days short of 11 months. Taking the LEAF in on Saturday for last look before warranty expires (passenger window slow to rise). Going great and probably the most trouble free car I've had. Last night I was noticing when I dropped to 2 bars left compared to the place I set as a benchmark when I got the car and it is just a couple percent off in distance. I was going to wait until my one year anniversary to give an update once I've paid more attention now that weather is a bit warmer.

That is amazing! Being the first leaf driver in the world to finish that part of your warranty, sometimes being number 1 at something can not be so comforting, but buying the extended warranty in your situation does not seems to make much cents. I think you have nothing to worry about.

I am sure you get a lot of disbelief looks when you tell people about the miles, they are probably thinking you are BSing them as a golf cart can't do that.

How long do think you will drive it?

You see me every month on carwings - SteveM

I commute to Shelton every day - 125 to 130 miles RT depending on stops - 100% charge on level 2 at home and at work. I've been doing this drive for nearly 12 years now. My Honda went over 300K miles and the Grand Prix over 200K before it. I'm driving at least 10K fewer miles per year with the LEAF than I have in the past. Saving $0.10 per mile is looking like a good decision at this point. As for how long I hope to drive it - until it can't do the distance anymore or I've recovered the cost of the car. Although, I could be swayed to change to something with leather seats, a working heater and a bit more pizzazz... and real range.

I nearly drive cars into the ground and this is the first one that has a chance to save me some money and that savings is helping offset the purchase price.

Can someone please tell me what website this would be where this kind of data is posted ?

To me Carwings is the website - http://www.nissanusa.com/owners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in which I login and check my % charge. But it appears Carwings means many thing to many people.

thanks
Jay

mkjayakumar said:
Can someone please tell me what website this would be where this kind of data is posted ?

To me Carwings is the website - http://www.nissanusa.com/owners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in which I login and check my % charge. But it appears Carwings means many thing to many people.

thanks
Jay

To use Carwings, I log in at the site above, hit "view status", and then hit "Launch Carwings" at the bottom.

Herm said:
Taylor, do you have any reserve when you get to work?

Yes - in the winter, it would usually vary between one and two bars and a couple of times it went to --. Today with weather at 50 and traffic for a couple of miles (which is unusual going South), I arrived with 3 bars showing. My expectation is 1 bar remaining when it is cold and 2 otherwise.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Herm said:
Taylor, do you have any reserve when you get to work?

Yes - in the winter, it would usually vary between one and two bars and a couple of times it went to --. Today with weather at 50 and traffic for a couple of miles (which is unusual going South), I arrived with 3 bars showing. My expectation is 1 bar remaining when it is cold and 2 otherwise.

great commute! do you cross the bridge? how long does it take you, what is your average cruising speed?

mkjayakumar said:

thanks
Jay

There are many, many screens in the Carwings package and the screen that shows % of Charge is only the first one. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and see Launch carwings, then follow this sequence of screens.

Rankings
World Rankings
Distance Traveled
See Top 100

Now look for SteveM it will be close to the top.

Thanks. I never knew all these data about my driving pattern is available for me to see. Very nice. Because I was using an iPad all along to look at Carwings and it doesn't show the link at the bottom.

The guy who got 65 miles/kwh, I am pretty sure he is driving downhill both way !!

TaylorSFGuy said:
Number of months with highest reported mileage on Carwings - 8.
Number of months Carwings stopped working at month end with not all mileage reported - 2.
Taylor/SteveM, like everyone else here I admire the number of miles you're putting on the LEAF - you are our canary. ;-)

You're probably aware of this, but for those months on Carwings that don't show mileage readings for the entire month, you can get the last day with readings by altering the URL. In the case of December, the last readings were on the 29th:
https://zeroemission.nissan-carwings.com/aqPortal/content/country/default/jsp/ranking/top100.iface?dateLevel=MONTHLY&rankingCode=DISTANCE&selCountry=&rankingGroupId=1&targetDate=2011-12-29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just completed Nissan required battery check last week, with over 15,000 miles on the odometer. Came back with max high scores in all categories on the "report card". Wish I understood more about what it really means. As an Engineer, I would have really like to see individual internal impedance values for each of the units. I actually got this from Toyota near the end of battery life for my old RAV 4 EV, in 2008. In my actual driving experience, the Leaf seems to be performing just as it did on delivery over a year ago. I try not to charge to 100% unless necessary, and have yet to try DCFC.

Unfortunately, the report is so basic and coarse that it really means very little. Nissan gets much more detailed information from it but we are not considered worthy enough to receive it. The techs at the dealers can't even see it.

plugzin said:
Just completed Nissan required battery check last week, with over 15,000 miles on the odometer. Came back with max high scores in all categories on the "report card". Wish I understood more about what it really means.

Back