Won't charge past 91%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcm4453

Hello all,

My Mother recently picked up a 2012 SL and so far it has never charged higher than 91%. I have a 2016 SV and it charges to 97% so why doesn't my Mother's 2012? Does anyone else with a 2012 notice this happening?

rcm4453 said:
Hello all,

My Mother recently picked up a 2012 SL and so far it has never charged higher than 91%. I have a 2016 SV and it charges to 97% so why doesn't my Mother's 2012? Does anyone else with a 2012 notice this happening?
Not sure of the problem, but every Leaf should charge to an indicated 100%, unless set to charge to 80%, or if unplugged prior to reaching 100%.

'11 and '12 Leafs do NOT have ANY % SoC display. The didn't appear until model year 2013. I'm guessing that the OP is getting his values from Leaf Spy or something. I don't think you'll ever see any car charge to 100% on Leaf Spy.

Nissan doesn't let you access the entire pack capacity. For '11 thru '15 Leafs, only about 21-22 kWh is usable out of 24 kWh.

If the car hits all 12 fuel bars and stops automatically, it's likely as full as it'll get.

cwerdna said:
'11 and '12 Leafs do NOT have ANY % SoC display. The didn't appear until model year 2013. I'm guessing that the OP is getting his values from Leaf Spy or something.
I would guess that the OP is getting the % value from the website.

rcm4453 said:
Hello all,

My recent '12SL also doesn't go to 100%, when I first got it would stop charging at ~91%, I did a couple full charges/discharges and now it goes to about 95%. This is using LeafSpy because as noted the '12's don't have a SOC display on the dash. Not sure if doing the full charge/discharge really gained me capacity or just somewhat recalibrate the SOC display but anyway it's nice seeing 95% vs 91% when fully charged, even if the capacity is the same :)
By full charge/discharge I mean I charge it until it stops, then drive it until turtle mode(preferably all at once or maybe over a couple longer trips) and finally charge it until full again.

jjeff said:
rcm4453 said:
Hello all,

My recent '12SL also doesn't go to 100%, when I first got it would stop charging at ~91%, I did a couple full charges/discharges and now it goes to about 95%. This is using LeafSpy because as noted the '12's don't have a SOC display on the dash. Not sure if doing the full charge/discharge really gained me capacity or just somewhat recalibrate the SOC display but anyway it's nice seeing 95% vs 91% when fully charged, even if the capacity is the same :)
By full charge/discharge I mean I charge it until it stops, then drive it until turtle mode(preferably all at once or maybe over a couple longer trips) and finally charge it until full again.

Oh good to know that someone else has seen this too. I was a little worried when leafspy pro was reporting this. I was about to have her contact Nissan about it but I realized they won't go by what the leafspy app says anyway. I will see if my Mother is willing to drive it down to turtle like you did, hopefully we can get the soc up higher.

Reportedly, the battery computer gradually loses count of the energy that the battery can hold and errs pessimistically.

You probably only need to hit Very Low Battery Warning once in a while for it to reset.

Also, be aware that at full charge, some values will vary slightly day to day for a variety of reasons.

rcm4453 said:
Oh good to know that someone else has seen this too. I was a little worried when leafspy pro was reporting this. I was about to have her contact Nissan about it but I realized they won't go by what the leafspy app says anyway. I will see if my Mother is willing to drive it down to turtle like you did, hopefully we can get the soc up higher.

rcm4453 said:
jjeff said:
rcm4453 said:
Hello all,

Like 91040 said VLBW may be sufficient, I just did the turtle thing as I had never experienced it on my '13(which BTW always reports 100% on the dash after a full charge) so I kind of wanted to see how it acted on my '12. When I got to VLBW I just started a ~3 mile local road loop around my home and wouldn't you know I got to turtle about as far away from my house as possible(1.5 miles) :cry: It was a long 1.5 miles, I think I only had 1 or 2 bubbles of power. Luckily my route was mostly flat and by the time I got to my last block it could only do 5mph. The last 200ft is a slight downhill and my driveway is ~ a 130 degree turn which I hit faster than I normally do to make it up my slight inclined driveway. I coasted over the hump into my driveway and it totally stopped ~4 feet short of my normal parking spot in the garage. Since it was totally flat I was able to push it in place, whew! that was too close. BTW LBW was at 24.4%, VLB was at 12%, turtle was at 3.7% and at 2.6%(all as reported on LeafSpy) I lost all power and had to push it the last 4 feet.
From this experience I'm going to consider ~5% as being basically empty and turtle, well it's probably really just meant to get yourself off the road, not really for traveling any distance which makes sense.

I guess the reason I thought a full cycle might be good for resetting things is because it's kind of recommended for other rechargeable batteries(NiCads, NiMh) to sort of clear their memory from charging too often before the battery gets low. I didn't think Li batteries were supposed to have such a memory effect but that was my logic anyway :) Note it's been posted in other threads, making a regular habit of going to VLB or Turtle is not really recommended and may shorten battery life. I don't know if it's critical but I also make it a point to do a full charge to 100% all in one shot after my full discharge, wasn't sure if several partial charges would have the same effect.

jjeff said:
I guess the reason I thought a full cycle might be good for resetting things is because it's kind of recommended for other rechargeable batteries(NiCads, NiMh) to sort of clear their memory from charging too often before the battery gets low. I didn't think Li batteries were supposed to have such a memory effect but that was my logic anyway
Note that Lithium-ion batteries do NOT have the "memory" issue that NiCd and NiMH batteries have. However, the electronics that measure the state of the batteries will often work better if they're subjected to the battery's full range (at least once) to calibrate them.

garsh said:
cwerdna said:
'11 and '12 Leafs do NOT have ANY % SoC display. The didn't appear until model year 2013. I'm guessing that the OP is getting his values from Leaf Spy or something.
I would guess that the OP is getting the % value from the website.
The crappy web site seems to jump from 83% to 92% to 100%. I don’t believe it has any increments in between (e.g. like the % SoC display on ‘13+ Leafs). I believe it simply does # of fuel bars / 12 to come up the %. Others have stated this before in other threads.

Back