While You Wait - The Mounting Costs of "Pending"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How could it cost that much? You can replace the entire transmission and clutch in most manual cars twice over for that amount.

DeaneG said:
My daily driver had a clutch/transmission glitch last week that took $6400 to clean up. I would have sold it already had the Leaf shown up. However, then some other guy would have been stuck with the mega-bill on his brand-new used car... bad karma for me. So it's better this way, probably.

mogur said:
How could it cost that much? You can replace the entire transmission and clutch in most manual cars twice over for that amount.
It's a four-year-old maserati. It's worth it in certain ways. I feel slightly dangerous every time I get into it. Then I start it. You should hear the noise. Babies cry. Men turn. Women weep.

Yep; heard them, driven them. It does invoke a certain primal urge. In that case, $6,400 was reasonable <G>!

DeaneG said:
mogur said:
It's a four-year-old maserati. It's worth it in certain ways. I feel slightly dangerous every time I get into it. Then I start it. You should hear the noise. Babies cry. Men turn. Women weep.

My 1991 Camry didn't make it. The transmission finally gave out. So the Nissan dealer who will likely sell me the LEAF sold me a 2007 Chevy Malibu, which I will sell back to them when the LEAF is available.

I'm going to have to either get another vehicle to bridge the gap or do major work on the old pickup in addition to the other costs. My guess is it's going to be somewhere around $4000 by the time it's all said and done...

DeaneG said:
mogur said:
Ha. My mom's got an '05 QP with 18k miles on it and it's on it's third clutch. Luckily they were covered under warranty, but now that's over. A regular service on that car can cost more than some used cars. Then again, repairs on the Prius aren't cheap either. I just had the brake actuator replaced - it cost Toyota Extracare $2600. Glad I bought the warranty after all.

I've got 21,000 miles of warranty left on the Prius and I hope to get the Leaf before then :roll: so my "pending" cost will be minimal. I probably will have to put new tires on it before April/May though - especially if I sell it to a friend. Friends don't let friends drive on bad tires.

(Mitch sings: "my Masserati goes 185.... I lost my license, now I can't drive"

:)

I suppose I am really dating myself here with you youngsters ;-)

Devin said:
... My mom's got an '05 QP with 18k miles on it and it's on it's third clutch. Luckily they were covered under warranty, but now that's over. A regular service on that car can cost more than some used cars...

Might be worth looking at a newer QP with an auto trans. The F1 (robotic manual) transmissions are best driven completely manually (never auto), in sport mode, all the time, or the clutch wears very quickly. Mine was looking like it would last about 35K miles, until the throwout bearing seized on its shaft.

And I wasn't going anywhere near 185! I had that album, probably still around somewhere. Wonder if that's how I wound up with a trident in my garage.

DeaneG said:
Devin said:
... My mom's got an '05 QP with 18k miles on it and it's on it's third clutch. Luckily they were covered under warranty, but now that's over. A regular service on that car can cost more than some used cars...

Might be worth looking at a newer QP with an auto trans. The F1 (robotic manual) transmissions are best driven completely manually (never auto), in sport mode, all the time, or the clutch wears very quickly. Mine was looking like it would last about 35K miles, until the throwout bearing seized on its shaft.

And I wasn't going anywhere near 185! I had that album, probably still around somewhere. Wonder if that's how I wound up with a trident in my garage.

My folks are getting their Volt either next week or the week after. It's built and sitting at GM in Detroit waiting for the weather to let up. That's replacing my dad's Honda Element (my mom and I are the family car people, my dad just wants something he can plug his iPhone into) but I'm hoping it'll lead to the QP being traded for a Tesla Model S by the time it comes out.

You're right about the manual mode though, I always make a point of using Manual/Sport modes when I drive it - for starters it's the only way it'll shift without lurching and I can actually get almost 20MPG out of it that way. Always fun to try hypermiling a Maserati even if that's not the point. I do find it less stressful to hypermile in the QP than the Prius or the Civic because people don't get quite as close up on your ass in the Maserati as they do in the Prius or Civic. Or maybe it's just longer so they feel further away :?

Back