Total Newbie Intro & Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I left the headrests alone and just very mildly put the seat back more than I wanted. After just 500 km I'm perfectly comfy so I will leave it that way. I would love to know how to 86 that Bose box, thanks! I went to my audio guy and he quoted $7000 to get me "great" sound. I think I will put up with good sound and save the $$$.

Go through the audio settings before you give up on the factory Bose. A new navigation/audio head unit was installed by the dealer on Wednesday (volume and tuning control knobs were not working on original unit). I was surprised how "tinny" the audio sounded at default settings with several sources. It is much better after I spent some time making setting adjustments this evening.

GerryAZ said:
Go through the audio settings before you give up on the factory Bose. A new navigation/audio head unit was installed by the dealer on Wednesday (volume and tuning control knobs were not working on original unit). I was surprised how "tinny" the audio sounded at default settings with several sources. It is much better after I spent some time making setting adjustments this evening.

Yes, I tell people this, too. The default setting seems to be "Seventies FM Mono" but it isn't hard to get it sounding nice.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, I tell people this, too. The default setting seems to be "Seventies FM Mono" but it isn't hard to get it sounding nice.

It's all about the bass! Until I turned it up a bit I didn't really notice the Bose. Now I do and I like it.

I think that Nissan is afraid that a bit of extra Bass will scare away the retired schoolteachers who buy Leafs.

Hey! to quote Groucho, I resemble that remark! I occasionally listen to classical music on the S+ system which is really basic and have no complaints......

Also not sure how you are listening to your music but listening to XM on my Leaf sounds like crap, very tinny and no amount of audio adjustments makes it sound good. I've heard XM on other Nissans and it wasn't nearly as bad as my Leaf but not that great either, I don't have the Bose though.

We think the Bose system is fine. Not as nice as the fancy Bang & Olafsen in our Audi, but very nice and more efficient I’m sure.

I need to bring ours in to have the head unit swapped out. Our volume knob also doesn’t work.

alozzy said:
Have a look at this reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/hhlhgk/2018_leaf_sl_bose_stereo_upgrade/

Thank you so much for all the great input and especially this link. I have decided to go ahead just with the front speaker exchange for now and my audio guy has located:

Metra 82-7400 speaker brackets
Metra 72-7401 wiring harnesses
Stinger Road Kill RKFR6 Fast Ring kit

The problem seems to be the:

Infinity Kappa 62ix coaxial 6.5” speakers

Here in Canada they seem to be quite rare. Even Amazon.ca has you import them from China which is usually a process fraught with fees and delays.

Since the reviews on these Infinity Kappa speakers seem to be superlative, any suggestions on a substitute speaker that would be at least as good and would work in the 2022 Leaf SL Plus? I appreciate all the assistance!

I found 17 listings for those on eBay.ca, when restricting the location filter to North America only.

I'm not really an audiophile, but Crutchfield is a good online retailer that likely has something close.

These have a slightly higher impedance, but perhaps they could work for you...

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108K63XF/Infinity-Kappa-63XF.html

Or maybe this one?

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108P6512IM/Infinity-Primus-PR6512is.html?tp=78076

alozzy said:
I found 17 listings for those on eBay.ca, when restricting the location filter to North America only.

I'm not really an audiophile, but Crutchfield is a good online retailer that likely has something close.

These have a slightly higher impedance, but perhaps they could work for you...

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108K63XF/Infinity-Kappa-63XF.html

Or maybe this one?

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_108P6512IM/Infinity-Primus-PR6512is.html?tp=78076

Thanks for this, the Primus are out of stock, but I'll check with audio dude tomorrow about the 63XF impedance to see if it's an issue. I appreciate your help!

I've just hit 1000 km (600 mi) with my 2022 SL Plus and am getting a better feel for the car. My impressions so far:

PROS

• Build quality is superlative. I've been in 2 Teslas (S and 3) and they are rattleboxes as compared to the Leaf.
  • ProPilot is a dream. To my driving sense it's the perfect balance between too much and too little autonomy.
  • I'm a short fat guy and this car fits me like it was tailored for me. Awesome, supercomfortable, and relaxing.
  • Range is amazing. Getting just under 400 km (250 mi) without using epedal or any hypermiling techniques other than B drive on long downhills.
  • I have 6 CHAdeMOs within a few blocks including one at the big supermarket. After a long trip I hooked it up, did my shopping, and returned to find charge has gone from 8% to 100%. $15. Try that in your ICE at $2.16 a litre. Then I just use the 110V at home for all my short trips. I am in love and will never again buy a new ICE vehicle.
  • I have a white model and I adore the super subtle blue trim front and back and the triangles in the grille. Didn't even notice them at first.
  • Love love love the App.
  • Add a couple of psi to the tires to bring them to 41-42. Makes a world of difference.
  • The onscreen menu offers a zillion adjustments and I've gone through every single one so I've dialed it in to exactly what I want.

CONS

• The price difference between the SV Plus and the SL Plus is basically $3K for leather seats, turn signals on the mirrors and a Bose subwoofer that sounds like a $10 AM radio. Worst value/dollar option I've ever seen.
  • I've already stated how the top of the line Bose sound system sucks. My audio guy says he has pulled lots of them out of Leafs. He calls it pathetic. It's way worse than the standard sound system in my 2019 Pathfinder. A cappella or just an acoustic guitar is fine. As soon as the band chimes in it's nothing but fuzzy mud. I'm in the process of replacing the front door speakers and we will see where we go from there.
  • Outright lie on the nissan.ca website. The SL Plus has "Bose® Premium Audio System with AM/FM/CD and QVGA (???) colour monitor" Really? If there is a CD drive in this car I have no idea where it is. Also the QVGA monitor is the same as all the other ones. Pants on fire.
  • Hate the fob. It's the same Nissan has used since Jurassic times and I keep hitting the charge port when I want to unlock the doors. I know it's my fault but the fob is just difficult to use in the dark, etc.
  • My friend has a Mach-E and I have serious screen envy.
  • Back seats are high stadium bleachers. Fortunately I almost never have more than one passenger so they live in the down cargo position.
  • The big round convex part surrounding the shift orb is bigger than it has to be. Would have been nice to have it smaller, bringing the cupholders forward and making the underelbow centre console section bigger.

At the new, much lower price, I can't see any reason why anyone but someone who has drunk the KoolAid would go for a Tesla. Check out the Nissan's paint, panel gaps, and overall fitment against an S that's 4x the price. Let's not even get into the fact that the screen works 100% of the time and I've never had to reboot it. Even the 3 is not comparable in all of the aspects that matter "to me." No, I don't drag race on public streets or try to triple the limit on highways. Too old to be a boy racer. For responsible, sane, reliable, quality, economical driving the Leaf slaps any Tesla around. Furthermore I've had 3 years experience with my local Nissan service and I can assure you that they will spank any Tesla dealer.

So far and overall, I couldn't be happier with the Leaf.

Back