Where can I find sidebyside comparison of Leaf and Kia Soul?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
misterno said:
I searched google but can not find

Can you help me?

I don't think it's been out long enough to find that info. According to what I've read about supply for the kia soul if you went and put a deposit down now the magazines are sure to write up a comparo before you get yours.

Usually the press cars given out to magazines for reviews are controlled in a way to maximize the exposure. They don't lend cars out for comparison's until they've got a couple major feature articles with just their car first.

I found it

http://carsort.com/compare/Kia-Soul-vs-Nissan-LEAF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am just surprised that KIA soul is only Manual Transmission

it is crazy, how are they planning to sell this in the USA?

misterno said:
I found it

http://carsort.com/compare/Kia-Soul-vs-Nissan-LEAF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any particular reason you're looking at a comparison of the LEAF to a gasoline powered Soul, rather than to the all-electric Soul EV?
=Smidge=

Don't believe everything you read. I think that comparison was either done by a robot skimming the web for facts or buy a low-wage fool. OK, that wasn't politically correct. What's a good euphemism for someone who is clueless? :)

The Soul EV is not a 5-speed manual transmission. It is one speed plus B mode, just like the Leaf.

Look here:

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/experience?story=interior&chapter=overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob

Smidge204 said:
misterno said:
I found it

Is there any particular reason you're looking at a comparison of the LEAF to a gasoline powered Soul, rather than to the all-electric Soul EV?
=Smidge=

I don't know what you are talking about

The link above compares leaf electric and soul electric

By the way

KIA website has a nice comparison between soul and leaf and chevy spark

I am surprised that Chevy spark is way cheaper than both although it is way more powerful car

I wonder why it is not popular like Leaf

misterno said:

It most certainly does not. Take a look at the claims:

Poor range on the highway, 394 miles. Average range in the city, 330 miles - 394 highway miles on the Soul EV? Not on our life! The Soul EV is rated for 79.7 miles highway, 103.6 city. It makes perfect sense, however, that a gasoline or diesel vehicle gets ~400 miles of range per tank.

Average number of gears, 5 - The Soul EV has a single speed gearbox. Only an ICE powered vehicle would have a manual transmission. Hell, it lists the LEAF as having a continuously variable automatic transmission, so it doesn't even get that right.

Starting from $13,995 - The Soul EV is $33,700 MSRP - $7,500 = $26,200.

The KIA Soul is not the KIA Soul EV. They are different vehicles. I wonder if you're making the same mistake with the Chevy Spark vs. the Chevy Spark EV? And yes, The KIA website has a valid comparison... go with that.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
misterno said:

Poor range on the highway, 394 miles. Average range in the city, 330 miles - 394 highway miles on the Soul EV? Not on our life! The Soul EV is rated for 79.7 miles highway, 103.6 city. It makes perfect sense, however, that a gasoline or diesel vehicle gets ~400 miles of range per tank.

Average number of gears, 5 - The Soul EV has a single speed gearbox. Only an ICE powered vehicle would have a manual transmission. Hell, it lists the LEAF as having a continuously variable automatic transmission, so it doesn't even get that right.

The KIA Soul is not the KIA Soul EV. They are different vehicles. I wonder if you're making the same mistake with the Chevy Spark vs. the Chevy Spark EV? And yes, The KIA website has a valid comparison... go with that.
=Smidge=

I see thanks

By the way

KIA website has a nice comparison between Soul and leaf and chevy spark

I am surprised that Chevy spark is way cheaper than both although it is way more powerful car

misterno wrote:
I see thanks

By the way

Recommend you sir get to the doctor to have those eyes checked out.
Spark has more torque, but is a shoebox otherwise... no need for wonder.
Maybe get the full checkup beyond the eye chart after all. :mrgreen:

misterno said:
I found it

No one cars about the 2011 Kia Soul. More interested in the recent Kia Soul EV.

DanCar said:
misterno said:
I found it

dunno why it is 2011 sorry

misterno said:
DanCar said:
misterno said:
I found it

who says it is a 2011 Kia?
Check your link.

misterno said:
Smidge204 said:
misterno said:

=Smidge=

I see thanks

By the way

Well what I thought you wanted was a comparison done by an auto journalist who is non bias and drives the cars side by side.

If you're going to go by specs that Kia posted up take it with a grain of salf. After all it's posted by the people who want you to buy a kia. If you want to look at the specs on paper bring up the website for both kia and nissan, bring up the specs for each in a different tab and sort through them yourself switching back and forth.

This however does not give a good idea of which is best, or more importantly which is best for you. I'll point this out with a little info as why the spark ev is not selling better than the leaf and why it being a "more powerful car" doesn't mean as much.

First the spark ev isn't sold nation wide. There are probably a lot of people driving a leaf that wanted a spark (myself included) but just couldn't buy one.

Gear ratios, as said by many others all the current EVs have 1 gear. The gear is selected based on a lot of variables, because the spark has 400lbft (350 now) they chose a 3.17 ratio, that's like keeping a gas car in 4th or 5th all the time. The Leaf uses a 7.94 (so double) but with 187lb ft (so just over or under half depending on which year spark you compare to), that's like a 2nd gear. Since a drive ratio basicly multiplies the torque that the wheels see it's safe to say that all things being equal they have about the same ability to go fast. If you look at the 0-30mph times, 3.2sec for the spark, 3.4 for the leaf. Drag race a v8 in 4th with a 4cyl in 2nd to 30 mph what would you expect?

Most people talk 0-60 times but if you go for a test drive you don't do a 0-60, you'll do a 0-30 if you gun it and that is what will give people the impression of a fast car when they decide which one to buy. So if you go in expecting 400lbft and don't go any faster than the leaf you just drove an hour earlier with 187 you'll feel something is wrong with that car. Most FWD EVs limit the torque to avoid wheel spin, the spark would have to limit more of it than the Leaf would. Flip side is with the 0-60 time, because the spark has a larger motor that doesn't have to work as hard it doesn't run out of power as quickly as the leaf when the battery just can't give it any more juice, wheel spin is no longer an issue so it does have a large advantage on paper for the 0-60.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-chevy-spark-ev-vs-fiat-500e-ford-focus-electric-honda-fit-ev-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the best comparison of EV's I've read, it's a little out of date now with the Benz, BMW and KIA. It tells you a lot of things that the spec sheets don't. My second choice for an EV was the Ford Focus. But because of what I read there, the heater that takes up the most juice of any EV, and practical things like a child seat in the back and chamedo I skipped it.

Thanks for the insightful info

Just a dumb question; why would you buy a Chevy Spark over Leaf?

I mean Spark is a smaller car

misterno said:

I haven't read the responses, but off the top of my head, some pros of the Spark EV:
- more efficient than Leaf
- better range than the Leaf on TonyWilliams' test (http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-chevy-spark-ev-has-substainally-more-range-than-nissan-leaf-62-mph-wvideo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- much faster acceleration
- nice dashboard displays
- battery has thermal management

Some people find the Leaf to be ugly/very ugly.

Downsides: a whole bunch besides the lame 3.3 kW on-board charger and the only choice for DC FCing being Combo1 variant of SAE Combo (aka Frankenplug), for which there's currently little infrastructure. Sure, the Spark EV is way smaller, but some people like that/are ok w/that.

Different strokes for different folks... Maybe you should ask your question at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

misterno said:
By the way

KIA website has a nice comparison between soul and leaf and chevy spark

um - could it be because it has a nearly non-existent DC QC network? ... or because GM isn't even committed to building them? ... or because it's too small for many people? ... or because it's a compliance car only? ... hard to say.
;)

misterno said:
Thanks for the insightful info

Personally I like small cars, minispeed is reference to my 1978 austin mini, first car, still have it but it needs work. I'm 6'4" 225lbs. It's more important to me for fit that a car is designed well and not just big. I have sat in many big cars that I find uncomfortable for one reason or the other. I felt very comfortable in the spark, mind you I never drove it and just sat in the ICE version. I was even comfortable in the back, I'd give the edge to the leaf for back seat but I will never carry anyone in the back of my cars over 6'0". In the summer there was a rumour that Canada would allow public spark sales (right now it's anywhere in Canada fleet only). I waited till that rumour was put to rest then went to get the leaf.

The leaf does not have enough leg room in the front, the seat cushion is too short and on a bad angle that doesn't support my legs. I CANNOT be a passenger in it, there's no space to put my left knee comfortably as the edge of the black/silver trim around the nav/climate unit hits me right in the joint. I'm guessing as a driver I'm forced to bend my right leg differently because it has to use the pedals so the issue isn't there but I have to keep my knee in the space that a cup would use so I can only use one of the cup holders.

Spark is 86 cu ft inside, leaf is 92. If that extra 6 isn't where someone needs it then does it get any credit for being bigger?

Another reason I wanted it is I've considered driving my first EV into the ground then putting the drive train in the mini. 400lb/ft was tempting and with a smaller lighter battery. Tire size could drop to 20" overall diameter which would probably benefit the high gearing of the spark and probably be too low for the leaf.

Back