What battery degradation can I expect charging to 100 percent

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2048Megabytes

If I were to get the 2013 or 2014 model of the Nissan Leaf what battery degradation can I expect if I am charging to 95 or 100 percent five days a week. My work commute is a 57 mile trip to and from work. An 80 percent charge would be pushing it to close driving at 60 to 70 miles per hour both ways.

What percentage per year of battery degradation can I expect from Salt Lake City, Utah weather? I likely would not drive the electric car three months out of the year because of temperatures dip to low and would severely reduce my range in the cold.

I don't think we know the answer. AFAIK, Nissan never provided any accurate data to the public about battery degradation, let alone 80 vs. 100%. And, on the '14+ Leafs, the 80% setting was removed anyway: http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-mostly-unchanged-as-range-technically-moves-up-to-84-miles/.

If you setup the timers so that the 100% charge is finished shortly before you leave for work, I doubt you will ever see a noticeable difference in battery life compared to 80% charging. As cwerdna said, its not even an option to 80% charge on newer Leafs. And, besides, 100% really isn't 100%, as Nissan has reserved quite a bit of the top capacity just for this reason.
I can't answer your question regarding battery life in SLC, but Stoaty's battery model can probably get you close. The battery's biggest enemy is heat, so a hot climate combined with high speed interstate driving will degrade the battery quicker.

Back