TXU offering free electricity at night.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I've seen a few ads lately for TXU offering a plan with a slightly higher daytime rate, but nights (after 10:00pm) are free. I don't think it would benefit me all that much with my 10 miles-per-day driving habit. Even if we shifted use of the clothes dryer and dishwater to night time only, I am not sure I'd be able to make it work. Maybe in the winter time when my heater is running all night long.

I was just thinking that a lot of folks here could really benefit from that, though. And if we ever get another plug-in vehicle so that my wife's 40-mile commute will be included in that, I'd say it would probably be a great deal.

Then when people ask how much you pay in electricity to fuel your EV, you can answer "nothing, its free!"

I would be interested depending on WHAT the daily rates are; after all, they're in business to make money. FWIW, I dropped TXU (for Cirro) about the time I got my Leaf when I analyzed/realized how much I was over-paying for electricity. The Leaf has opened my eyes to so many things (like energy conservation).

FREE :shock: :D At least you can crank the air conditioner to get a good nights sleep ;)

Our SCE super off peak rate 12a - 6a is 50% higher than national average :( On-Peak is 5x national average :x

I would be interested depending on WHAT the daily rates are; after all, they're in business to make money. FWIW, I dropped TXU (for Cirro) about the time I got my Leaf when I analyzed/realized how much I was over-paying for electricity. The Leaf has opened my eyes to so many things (like energy conservation).

I just got off the phone with TXU. They set a daytime rate based on your usage. For me (under 2,000KWhr per month) it would be 11.9 cents. You can lock in that rate for 18 months.

Then I learned that I can't switch to TXU, as I get power from my city. Arrrrgggg.

Gary

I am paying 7.3c/kWh in Plano, TX. Interestingly the solar lease quotes I've gotten seem to work out to about that same rate (but only once you average over 20 years!), which has me considering one.

I have a friend in Houston who started a company to help people find the best rate available based on their usage in areas where you have choice, http://www.mybestplan.net

If you are in an area with choice, it really pays to shop around, I've pretty much changed companies at the end of every contract, if you slip to month to month, you usually start paying too much.

Through our Co-op (only choice) of Hilco we pay a base price of 6.8 cents plus the cost of natural gas. All together with a few random items, taxes, etc. The entire bill ends up being 11-13 cents per kWh (which they proudly claim, incorrectly, they are the cheaper than the other electric companies). My usage is fairly low though, even with an all electric house (something I am fairly proud of and worked hard to get) and average, at peak times (i.e. during the winter) 1000 kWh per month, and around 700ish during the nice spring or fall. 250-300 kWh of that is the car itself, so I figure I am doing fairly good energy wise.

Unfortunately, that makes most other green suplementary options fairly infeasible such as solar. Hopefully solar will eventually become cheap enough to be more feasible in the future, but by then I should be able to reduce my energy usage even more!

coqui said:
Hard to believe...is this to use up all the energy coming off those wind turbines in Sweetwater, TX?

"Too cheap to meter" -- who knew it would come from windmills, not nuclear power plants! :mrgreen:

Oh man this would be perfect for V2G. You could buy electricity at night for free then resell it during the day. If your only going 10 miles a day, sell the rest of the power when you get home then buy it back for free at night. Might be enough to make the payment on the car... :cool:

Back