My LEAF has moved on without us…

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalisburySam

Last week we sold our 11½ year old 2012 LEAF SL, purchased in February of 2012 after placing our $99 order deposit in 2010. The LEAF was our gateway drug to EV ownership and a then-marvel of wow, fun, and learning. We added our Tesla Model 3 in 2018, then our 2023 Ioniq5 late last year.

We look back fondly on our years with the LEAF and its advantages even over our much newer EVs. The LEAF was the best of the three in several respects: MUCH easier to get into and out of, absolutely no phantom battery drain, had to learn exactly nothing to transition from the physical controls of ICE vehicles (the learning was on the refueling/charging and driving sides), and the cloth seats were more comfortable than the others even though they were only manually adjusted.

But then there was the lack of range, now at about 35 in-town miles. My battery was pretty much a longevity disaster though it did not deteriorate quickly enough to benefit from either the 5- or 8-year battery warranties. When sold, it showed 7 capacity bars.

In retrospect, we probably did not get an appropriate amount of actual car utility from this $40,000 purchase in 2022, about $54,000 today after inflation, given its range. But it was an amazing EV introduction, a most enjoyable learning platform, and delivered a very reliable and fun driving experience.

We drive maybe 5000-7500 miles a year now, no work commutes, and have absolutely no need for three cars let alone three EVs. It was time for at least of our vehicles to go. As the oldest and the one with the least range, the LEAF fell victim. We celebrated with a tear, a smile, some champagne and a nice dinner at a local restaurant. It was a more emotional experience than we anticipated.

I know this is not an airport and we don’t have to announce departures here. I’m still a member, will continue to be, and am interested in the EV evolution with existing and new EV manufacturers. Who knows what car will replace our Model 3 when the time comes, other than it will not be another Tesla, hence my ongoing interest in MyNissanLEAF.

To the rest of you LEAF owners and enthusiasts: enjoy the ride!

I felt the same way when I traded in my 2013. It had a trailer hitch and custom high beams that I left on for the next new owner. :D
Despite all the abuse I put that 2013 through, it worked 100% of the time every time I pressed the start button. Never had to worry about "funny" engine sounds or maintenance schedules to keep the engine from dying. I did all the vehicle maintenance for both my own and wife's vehicles over the years. I had so many "purpose" tools for vehicle maintenance that it fills up a shed in the back yard. Once I bought my 2013 Leaf, those same tools just sat in storage more often (was still doing wife's vehicle maintenance). Once my wife switched over to her own Leaf years back, never had to touch any of those maintenance tools again. I was so glad to spend the very last time bringing used "oil" from vehicle changes to the recycle center in a giant jug. The only maintenance I do now for both of Leaf(s) is tires changes and windshield washer fluid refills. :lol:

Yes i concur, as I test a wider number of evs on my business trips (when renting cars), I still find comfort when I come back to my Leaf (Plus). The Plus was only a mild adjustment from our original 2013 Leaf, which the whole family loved partly because it was so trend setting and unique in 2013.

On my last "tank" from 100 to 11% SoC during my weekly commute, my Leaf still managed 250 miles, so I find myself really not hankering for much more range wise except for the longer road trips, which are not too frequent. Each Leaf only sees 6-7K miles a year.

Not moving on!

A big reason the Leaf still hits the sweet spot for me is that aside from the EV system, the car is just like an ICE. I know how to maintain ICE hardware (especially Datsuns and some german makes) and that is something that still need to happen for the Leaf here in the rust belt. So I can fix as needed--unlike a Tesla where I would probably get lost pretty quick. And I recently had the EV battery apart, and actually enjoyed that process--so I am getting closer to knowing the whole car. Now, if they could just get a Chademo adapter built... Anyway, we don't drive much, so the Leaf is good and there are always rentals as needed. So when you see a ZE0 going down the road in twenty years--probably someone like me.

If you know anyone with electrical and electronic skills that would be willing to build a few prototypes with quality parts, I would definitely be interested. Even if it only could manage 35KW, it would still be very helpful.

https://youtu.be/tfCaqdUFx3Q?si=4JWjqM3USu3Dh7IB

If you know anyone with electrical and electronic skills that would be willing to build a few prototypes with quality parts, I would definitely be interested.

I don't know if you are subscribed to Dala's Patreon, but anyway yesterday he announced he will be working on a an external rugged adapter. Dala: "So updates! CCS-Chademo: I am doing a 180 degree turn on this project, and scrapping the idea to add it onto the car. After seeing the portable adapter that Nikolay showed me, I want to make one, and a proper one with all the safeties in place."

Yes, having access to CCS chargers would be quite interesting. Go Dala!

MikeinPA said:
If you know anyone with electrical and electronic skills that would be willing to build a few prototypes with quality parts, I would definitely be interested.

I don't know if you are subscribed to Dala's Patreon, but anyway yesterday he announced he will be working on a an external rugged adapter. Dala: "So updates! CCS-Chademo: I am doing a 180 degree turn on this project, and scrapping the idea to add it onto the car. After seeing the portable adapter that Nikolay showed me, I want to make one, and a proper one with all the safeties in place."

Yes, having access to CCS chargers would be quite interesting. Go Dala!

I'm waiting on it as well, even in a DIY project form. I trust Dala with his time and experience to get it right (and safe) for the rest of us to follow. :mrgreen:

Do tell !
Too many things we don’t or no longer like about our 2018 Tesla Model 3 to consider getting another Tesla. Lots of things we DO like but they’re outweighed by the bad. Here are, for us, the not-so-nice characteristics:
  • OTA software updates that cripple features that used to work well. Examples: AutoPark, Summon (mostly in and out of a tight garage) and Smart Summon (driverlessly bringing itself to you in a private parking lot).
  • More of the above: lower maximum speed for cruise control, greater minimum distance between cars (a killer in bumper-to-bumper traffic, either moving or not).
  • Harsh ride, and in relatively uncomfortable seating.
  • Phantom braking
  • Auto windshield wiper performance that is, to be kind, spastic.
  • Huge phantom power drain. I seem to spend more money keeping the car charged than driving it.
  • Very noisy interior, lots of road and wind noise as well. Supposedly this is better in recent vehicles.
  • New vehicles with yokes for steering and no stalks for turn signals/wipers/shifting gears. Just not ready to make that transition, nor have any need to do so.
  • Total reliance on touchscreen inputs albeit this is mostly just an annoyance but it is a constant one.
Unless Tesla surprises us, we are one-and-done. We’ll likely keep the Model 3 for a few more years, then sell or donate it replacing it with whatever we like at that time. Currently, we’re absolutely loving our just over one year old Hyundai Ioniq5 and could be looking at an Ioniq6 or Genesis EV as a next sedan but there are so many coming out today that the choices should be many.

Last edited:
Here are, for us, the not-so-nice characteristics

Thanks for the informative reply. My experience is quite a bit different, so I appreciate your perspective. In particular, I can easily imagine being annoyed by drivers cutting in front of me while using regular cruise control. Our highways are probably less congested, and perhaps most of the local drivers are less aggressive. Our 2023 Model Y has dynamic cruise control, which handles annoying drivers without my intervention.

Phantom power drain is *much* improved compared to our 2018 Model 3. In each case no monitoring apps were/are being used.

If I am not mistaken, you have either advanced autopilot or full FSD. I've never had either, so perhaps that explains my lack of frustration ;). Cruise controlled driving is limited to 85 mph. Is that too slow for you ?

I bought a Tesla Model Y 2022 and sold it the same week, in part because I could profit and in part because of phantom braking. It has not been an issue with the 2023 Model Y so far -- Thank you Tesla gods!

I'm happy with the Model Y ride and noise. A large part of the large range of opinions on these topics is related to tyre choice and pressure.

Whenever my wife rides in the Model Y I have to endure 10 minutes of exposition how wonderful the seats are. But then again, her daily driver is the Chevy Bolt so her opinion is skewed ;)
My opinion is that no car seat should have more than 2 hours seat time before getting out to stretch and walk around.

Cheers

Phantom power drain is *much* improved compared to our 2018 Model 3. In each case no monitoring apps were/are being used.
Glad to learn that’s the case.
If I am not mistaken, you have either advanced autopilot or full FSD. I've never had either, so perhaps that explains my lack of frustration ;).
Yes, I purchased both EAP and FSD with the car when I got it originally though I’ve not enabled FSDb. Soooo glad I spent the then $3000 for FSD vaporware.
Cruise controlled driving is limited to 85 mph. Is that too slow for you ?
LOL, no it isn’t too slow but it is an example of nerfing a previously-working car feature. To me that says Tesla itself knows TeslaVision is not as able as radar for higher speed cruise control.
I bought a Tesla Model Y 2022 and sold it the same week, in part because I could profit and in part because of phantom braking. It has not been an issue with the 2023 Model Y so far -- Thank you Tesla gods!
Good to know, though I still see several threads and many posts about phantom braking in new Teslas on the Tesla forums. Also, phantom braking appears to plague some and not others…I’m just one of the unlucky ones.
I'm happy with the Model Y ride and noise. A large part of the large range of opinions on these topics is related to tyre choice and pressure.
As I admitted, the interior noise is supposedly greatly improved with front laminated glass and other things changed in newer models. But again, this is not, according to Tesla forums posters, competitive with that of most cars of Tesla’s pricing. And in riding in friends’ non-Teslas as well as new Teslas, Tesla still has a way to go to improve cabin noise. It may be acceptable, just not competitive. And I might just be more sensitive to it.
Whenever my wife rides in the Model Y I have to endure 10 minutes of exposition how wonderful the seats are. But then again, her daily driver is the Chevy Bolt so her opinion is skewed ;)
Yeah, neither of us has EVER bragged about our Model 3’s seat comfort. We don’t find them horribly UNcomfortable, but not in any way praiseworthy. In fact we liked the recycled-bottles-cloth-seating far better in our 2012 Nissan LEAF even though the LEAF had only simple fore-and-aft manual adjustments. We do like the lumbar adjustments in the Tesla to be fair, though newer models have removed this from the passenger side…yet another reason we’d likely avoid a future Tesla.
My opinion is that no car seat should have more than 2 hours seat time before getting out to stretch and walk around.
We’re good for about the same, give or take. Our German Shepherd travels with us and that’s about his duration as well. But we want to have 2 or so hours of comfort; we find the Tesla seats of acceptable but hardly exemplary comfort.

To me that says Tesla itself knows TeslaVision is not as able as radar for higher speed cruise control.

Well may be true, or it can mean that Tesla is taking a conservative approach to new Tech until it has accumulated enough data to be confident that higher speeds are safe. That is the Tesla approach.

By the way, I took a peek at the software settings yesterday. Cruise following distance can be set to 'chill', 'normal' or aggressive. Sounds like you can be as hard-nosed as your neighbors if you want.

Last edited:
In retrospect, we probably did not get an appropriate amount of actual car utility from this $40,000 purchase in 2022, about $54,000 today after inflation, given its range. But it was an amazing EV introduction, a most enjoyable learning platform, and delivered a very reliable and fun driving experience.

While I certainly understand the car utility value vs the price one thing about people like you is you helped push mass market EVs. At a time when the Roadster was beyond the reach of most you helped support mass market EVs. Nissan made a number of mistakes but they at least tried to have a somewhat affordable EV available all over the place, you and others like you helped support the EV revolution we experience today.

The Leaf was like driving an ICE vehicle. We rented a Model 3 Tesla and did not like the big screen that you had to take you eyes off the road to look at. We also bottomed out the Tesla with 4 people and luggage in it going over a speed bump. We weren't going fast over the bump but it hit anyway. Glad it was a rental. Wish they'd bring the Leaf back with a liquid cooled battery and we'd buy one. The new Nissan Ariya is a disaster. Dealers here in EV land are stuck with them on their lots. Ugliest vehicle in recent times. What were they thinking?

The Leaf was like driving an ICE vehicle. We rented a Model 3 Tesla and did not like the big screen that you had to take you eyes off the road to look at. We also bottomed out the Tesla with 4 people and luggage in it going over a speed bump. We weren't going fast over the bump but it hit anyway. Glad it was a rental. Wish they'd bring the Leaf back with a liquid cooled battery and we'd buy one. The new Nissan Ariya is a disaster. Dealers here in EV land are stuck with them on their lots. Ugliest vehicle in recent times. What were they thinking?
My wife has Leaf for her commuting and short hops. Only alternative of similar car was Hyundai Kona for me, so I bought one and I'm surprised, it is a very useful car. Now when the kids grew up it's big enough and it has really good battery thermal management and heat pump. Maybe you could consider it too.

My wife has Leaf for her commuting and short hops. Only alternative of similar car was Hyundai Kona for me, so I bought one and I'm surprised, it is a very useful car. Now when the kids grew up it's big enough and it has really good battery thermal management and heat pump. Maybe you could consider it too.
To bad it doesn't come in AWD for those of us in snow country who like AWD.

I don't think they look that bad. They certainly look better then the first generation Leafs.

The Ariya biggest problem is the price and out-dated features.

You are not going to buy a new electric car until you are satisfied with the charging infrastructure reliability. You pretty much have said so.

The Ariya biggest problem is the price and out-dated features.

For me the biggest problems are the range, and that Nissan corporate make crappy dealerships look good in comparison. I'll pay more, and stay far, far away from a Nissan. My experience with a LEAF was actually positive, but reading how Nissan treats its customers made me realize that I was just lucky, not smart.

Last edited:
Back