Thinking about trading my 2018 SL for a 2022 SL+, in Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerther

I have a 2018 SL with 60 000 km on it. I bought it 10 months ago. The battery has been replaced two months ago, and is about to be replaced again, all under warranty. Besides the battery problems, I really really like the car.

The dealer where I'm having the 2018 serviced has a 2022 SL+ 53000 km for sale for a reasonable price. It's tempting: 62kwh battery, more powerful motor, and 4 more years of battery warranty. The problem is that they're giving me less than half of what I paid for my 2018 ten months ago, and that would mean monthly payments that I'm not sure are worth it.

The salesman was kind enough to let me connect LeafSpy onto the 2022. I've included a screenshot of the battery state. It looks really good to me, but heh, I don't know much about this. I only know about my 2018 and hope you'll understand why I give the battery that much importance over everything else ;)

Now everything looks the same on the 2022 as on my 2018. No much of an upgrade except for the battery and the warranty.

Are there any deal-breaking reasons not to make the switch? Any deal-making reasons to make it?

1711481164313.png

I know you've had other posts recently regarding your battery, but I don't recall all the issues of the top of my head. Any reason why you wouldn't try for a private sale? If you have a "new" battery and the car is otherwise in good condition, you'll probably do far better than you will with the dealership.

While the value of a car is only as much as someone will pay for it, I've never known anyone to get close to max value as part of a trade-in. I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it's common. I always assumed that folks do trade-ins to avoid the time/hassle of a private sale.

Well it's been a while and the dealer and I have not come to an agreement. Yet. ;)

I guess at this point I just need to know if there are any reasons not to get the 62kWh pack?

Good God man, what have you done to your Leaf to require not 1 but 2 replacement batteries? I too am in Canada and have owned a 2018 SL since new. It has almost 170,000 KMs on it and still has all 12 battery bars. Are you L3 charging the batteries regularly?

LOL XD

Well you've had yours since new. I've got mine used. 1st battery I have no idea what the previous owner(s) did to it. I've taken pretty good care of it for the few warm months I've had it, and then the cold winter came and the battery went "nope!". Second one was clearly a manufacturing defect. It has only 3 quick charges, and I had to do them because the battery also went "nope!" at -20C.

All this in 10 months of ownership. My first EV. The first EV in the family here and even amongst friends.

That's why I'm asking if the 62kWh pack is any different. And that's also why I'm scared shitless of the battery warranty going out in less than 2 years.

I have a 2020 SL Plus and I love the car. I don’t technically need the plus range for my daily commute but I do like how having the larger battery allows me to take day trips on the weekends that rarely require DC fast charging. I planned on never using the fast charge but when your kids unexpectedly ask to go to an anime get together that’s multiple cities away and your car is at is at 50% it was necessary for the return trip. With an electric vehicle that has no thermal management for the batteries and the kind of stories you see here it makes you want to be as careful with the batteries as possible but it must be balanced. I make rules in my mind but I realize later that it doesn’t work with how I want to use the car. I find that you have to be flexible and it’s better to have goals than rules. I have the goal of not fast charging or draining it below 20. I have the goal of staying below 80. I try to keep the car near 80 so I don’t find myself in a pinch and needing to fast charge. I’ve started to ramble, but what I’m trying to do is share my mental battle and say that we always have risk but we should not live by fear. I think goals are better than rules because it’s flexible. If you need the extra battery for your car to meet your needs then by all means get that new car but if this car does what you need then enjoy that new battery because it sounds like your in a great spot.

Agree with the above. Having the biggest battery means less concern.

Drive faster, drive further, drive in any weather, if you feel like it. I still try to eek out the best efficiency on the daily drives, but if the weather is bad, I leave later than planned, or I need to make extra stops... no worries.

Agree with the above. Having the biggest battery means less concern.

Drive faster, drive further, drive in any weather, if you feel like it. I still try to eek out the best efficiency on the daily drives, but if the weather is bad, I leave later than planned, or I need to make extra stops... no worries.
I got an sv but I wish I bought the plus. I don’t theoretically need the extra range but it allows stuff and less planning would be needed

I have the goal of staying below 80.
I do too. I think the extra range would make it easier as apart from my commute to work, pretty much all trips I do require I start at 100% charge to avoid quick charge. Again, I'm always planning ahead, trying to charge the last 20% just before taking off.

I should've known the actual range when I bought the 40kwh car. But I was unaware hilly highways had such a big impact, let alone weather.

I had an epiphany when I drove a ICE car recently when it was still cold outside. It's low fuel warning light came on with 100km range left. I mean at some point I only did 90km on a full charge with my leaf, 100% down to 5%! I was like pffff, I'm golden 🤣

Last edited:
LOL XD

Well you've had yours since new. I've got mine used. 1st battery I have no idea what the previous owner(s) did to it. I've taken pretty good care of it for the few warm months I've had it, and then the cold winter came and the battery went "nope!". Second one was clearly a manufacturing defect. It has only 3 quick charges, and I had to do them because the battery also went "nope!" at -20C.

All this in 10 months of ownership. My first EV. The first EV in the family here and even amongst friends.

That's why I'm asking if the 62kWh pack is any different. And that's also why I'm scared shitless of the battery warranty going out in less than 2 years.

LOL XD

The intent of my previous post was to help determine why your Leaf has gone through 2 battery packs. You said the battery said “nope” at -20. Page 14 of the warranty manual states one warranty exclusion is
“Storing a vehicle in temperatures below -13F (-25C) for over seven days”. Is your Leaf parked outside and did you experience a long cold spell? Determining why the HV battery failed might help you in your car buying decision making. The Leaf, while being a great commuter vehicle is not particularly suited for operation in extreme temperatures.

Well, the dealer sold the car to someone else. I took too much time. But the dealer just got another one for the same price, and honestly I think this one I should just get right now. It has one, ONE quick charge 😱

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240423-201555~2.png
    Screenshot_20240423-201555~2.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 0
867 L1/L2 charges though, that's about 50km average between charges, and more charges than there are days in the car's life. Most probably the car was always on charge, so at near 100%, right? I know that should be avoided. Should I be worried?

Back