Looking at a used 2018 40kwh 2.Zero

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonde

Hi Leaf forum,

We want to buy a 40kwh from 2018.
2 different are on sale in our area.
One with 55k km and another with 115k km (34/71k miles).
I do not think that they have been imported so they have driven in Denmark/Nothern Europe.

What would you expect SOH to be for those cars?

What else should we look out for when buying a used 40kwh?
Suspensions?

I have read this thread and found this about the 40kwh Leaf but that post is almost 2 years old, any newer info?
"* There were a significant number of bad or weak cells in the 2018 Leafs. Use LeafSpy Pro to check the battery of any prospective Leaf. Bad or weak cells will show much lower voltages than the rest of the pack on the voltage histogram chart. LS also gives the maximum difference in voltage between cells. If that voltage is over 50mv, be concerned. Smaller differences are normal.

* The 2018 Leaf has more issues with Pro Pilot than do later model years. The front radar units can ice up or fail from exposure to a lot of moisture. Nissan only replaces them when they throw error codes.

* Starting in, I believe, 2021, the accelerator pedal mapping was changed. Eco mode is now very underpowered, and Normal/D mode is also wimpier. I've gone from driving in Eco 90% of the time to driving in D mode most of the time.

* Starting in 2019 or 2020, the pedestrian warning sound (VSP) was made louder. It bothers some people, sounding a bit like the sonar sounds you hear in submarine movies. It is no longer adjustable/muteable, IIRC."
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=26662&start=70

How long test drive do you recommend?
I would like to drive SOC from 100% to 50-60% to test capacity and use my OBD. There is a highway nearby one of the dealers so I think that should be possible. When there is no highway nearby, I do not think that I can get more than 30-40% used driving less than an hour.

I wrote most of what you quoted. The only real change in the last few years is that more 2018 cars are developing or displaying bad/weak cells. This is unfortunate, and it means that any thoughts about buying one should be preceded by at least one LeafSpy test at a fairly low state of charge (SOC). No higher than 20% charge. I haven't seen increased reports of bad front radar units, though - if anything they have gotten rare.

Bonde said:
I would like to drive SOC from 100% to 50-60% to test capacity and use my OBD. There is a highway nearby one of the dealers so I think that should be possible. When there is no highway nearby, I do not think that I can get more than 30-40% used driving less than an hour.

You should instead try for a test drive with the car charged to only 40% or so, and driven down to 20% or less. That is more likely to bring out any battery issues.

LeftieBiker said:
You should instead try for a test drive with the car charged to only 40% or so, and driven down to 20% or less. That is more likely to bring out any battery issues.

Thank you for the advice.
I found similar advice on another forum.
They recommend checking the battery at <20% SOC.
https://www.speakev.com/threads/battery-degradation-on-leaf-40.179130/

LeftieBiker said:
Bonde said:

Agree, although the salesperson might argue: it hasn't charged to 100% so the battery pack isn't balanced good. Which is bollocks, because the battery pack get balanced all the time. Not only when it charged to 100%

If any salesperson only allows you to drive on very slow roads, and the SoC is very low? Either request it to be charged a bit more, or just skip it completely.

My experience with my Leaf 2019 is, that my weak cells don't show until I go down to 8% dash SoC. So they start showing around 18% Leafspy SoC.

And honestly: Nissan or the dealerships, don't seem to take weak cell's very seriously. Because I already have argued, not being able to use 12% to max 18% of the 85% battery capacity that is left. But they won't take it seriously, and I guess they will just tell you it's normal.

Unless they do a battery test, then perhaps they might take it seriously. But sadly, these battery tests are often in favour of the manufacturer.

LeafSpy lite is free. And no matter what you buy the dongle will be handy. Get the dongle and go find out what the batteries are like. If nothing else it will give you negotiation ammo. Thing is likely to pay for itself then and there.

Back