The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'll pass it on!

Evoforce said:
The 2011 SL Leaf I just purchased had the battery replaced in Dec 2014 @ 22,273 miles. Here is the list:

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

Enjoy!

Evoforce said:
The 2011 SL Leaf I just purchased had the battery replaced in Dec 2014 @ 22,273 miles. Here is the list:

1 748N2-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 748N3-3NF0A COVER BATTERY
1 295B0-3NF9E BATTERY ASMY
2 749D0-3NF1A BRKT ASMY-BAT M
4 01125-N0111 BOLT
1 24220-7S020 CLIP
1 297C1-3NF0A SWITCH-DISCONNE

Enjoy!

Thanks!

I had the part numbers, but not the quantities of each part required (when it more than one).

Day LEAF dropped to 4 bars:

53,397 miles
94% SOC
44.49 SOH
180 GID
43.0401 Ah

New battery received in under a week. Two days to replace (they'd never done one before).

Today's charge:

54,131 miles
94% SOC
102.20 SOH
285 GID
66.1414 Ah

Also, have noted that regen has returned to original strength, which I love!

memoryisram said:
Small update to my 2011 Leaf battery warranty experience. I finally got around to buying a cheapo Android tablet for LeafSpy and ODBII bluetooth reader, and the wealth of data you are able to gather from it is indispensable. I've been watching my capacity slowly fall from 72% to 69% over the past month or two, but I've moved to Palm Springs (from San Diego) for the next few months for work, so this dessert heat is certainly going to kill off this battery sooner than later.

I actually found a great Nissan dealership out here (Palm Springs Nissan) that is very well versed in the battery pack replacement program. I had my car towed there when I punctured a tire over a piece of rebar in a parking lot. They were in the process of doing a swap on a 2011 while I was waiting for the tire. I was told as soon as I lose another bar, bring it in, they will gather my details, order the pack, and once it arrives in 3-4 weeks, bring the car back in for the swap no hassles. Really looking forward to it because this diminished range is killing me.

Here's a quick screenshot I took when I hit 69%:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0HiBNfN-MdmcDFrQVo1S09xWUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally!

Lost my 4th bar this morning. After the first few 100F+ days here I knew it wouldn't be long.

AHr: 42.84
SOH: 65%
Hx: 44.16%
ODO: 48,186

314 QC, 2269 L1/L2 - almost all those quick charges were recent because I can't make it further than about 40 miles without the VLB coming on. I actually had a day when I left Palm Springs with 100% charge, drove to Cabazon barely 20 miles away, and with the extremely strong headwinds the car died right as I got on the exit to reach the quick charge. That Nissan Roadside proved very handy.

Off to the Nissan dealer to schedule a battery check up and get the new one ordered.

memoryisram said:
memoryisram said:
Small update to my 2011 Leaf battery warranty experience. I finally got around to buying a cheapo Android tablet for LeafSpy and ODBII bluetooth reader, and the wealth of data you are able to gather from it is indispensable. I've been watching my capacity slowly fall from 72% to 69% over the past month or two, but I've moved to Palm Springs (from San Diego) for the next few months for work, so this dessert heat is certainly going to kill off this battery sooner than later.

I actually found a great Nissan dealership out here (Palm Springs Nissan) that is very well versed in the battery pack replacement program. I had my car towed there when I punctured a tire over a piece of rebar in a parking lot. They were in the process of doing a swap on a 2011 while I was waiting for the tire. I was told as soon as I lose another bar, bring it in, they will gather my details, order the pack, and once it arrives in 3-4 weeks, bring the car back in for the swap no hassles. Really looking forward to it because this diminished range is killing me.

Here's a quick screenshot I took when I hit 69%:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0HiBNfN-MdmcDFrQVo1S09xWUE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally!

Lost my 4th bar this morning. After the first few 100F+ days here I knew it wouldn't be long.

AHr: 42.84
SOH: 65%
Hx: 44.16%
ODO: 48,186

314 QC, 2269 L1/L2 - almost all those quick charges were recent because I can't make it further than about 40 miles without the VLB coming on. I actually had a day when I left Palm Springs with 100% charge, drove to Cabazon barely 20 miles away, and with the extremely strong headwinds the car died right as I got on the exit to reach the quick charge. That Nissan Roadside proved very handy.

Off to the Nissan dealer to schedule a battery check up and get the new one ordered.

I am two bars down (lost the second one about 6 months ago) and 44k miles on my 2011, and this makes me want to drive out to the desert.

thankyouOB said:
I am two bars down (lost the second one about 6 months ago) and 44k miles on my 2011, and this makes me want to drive out to the desert.

Heat is absolutely what killed this battery. The days I lost a measurable amount of capacity were the times I had to quick charge twice in and day to make a long trip or run my errands. Right now I'm sitting in the car waiting for my first quick charge to finish and I'm sitting at 8 bars of temp on dash.

When I get this new battery, I'm going to baby it and keep the temps as low as possible even if it means driving it less. I'm only in Palm Springs for another month then it's back to the cool shores of San Diego.

jhm614 said:
memoryisram said:
Congrats on the impending Lizard battery! Keep us updated on the replacement process.

Only took a week from when the dealer contacted Nissan to get a replacement battery ordered. Apparently they have a depot in LA with new battery packs available so no shipping from overseas.

$6100 in parts and labor, billed to Nissan including the 2-day rental the dealer offered me, whew.

Battery Part Number: 295B0-3NF9E

AHr: 66.54
SOH: 100%
Hx: 101%

Only thing odd I notice is that the QC/L2 charge count isn't reset in Leaf Spy. I'm assuming that means the dealer didn't reset/reload the software on the car. Not sure if that will be a problem or not.

Arrived with it fully charged, saw 118 miles on the guest-o-meter with all 12 bars of capacity lit up. Very exciting. I drove from the dealer back home (about 8 miles away) without losing a single charge bar.

I purchased this Leaf so I'm going to have to baby the hell out of this battery if I'm going to keep it long term, but Nissan really came through for me and made me fall in love with the car all over again.

memoryisram said:
I purchased this Leaf so I'm going to have to baby the hell out of this battery if I'm going to keep it long term, but Nissan really came through for me and made me fall in love with the car all over again.
Congratulations!

I hope you get out of Palm Springs before you lose very much capacity!

memoryisram said:
Only took a week from when the dealer contacted Nissan to get a replacement battery ordered. Apparently they have a depot in LA with new battery packs available so no shipping from overseas.
All replacement packs should be coming from Tennessee, not Japan.

memoryisram said:
Glad it's all worked out!

PatricioEV said:

Never noticed anyone mentioning that before, but I guess it makes sense. I'm actually starting to get excited about capacity loss accelerating with the heat...because it means my new battery pack is getting closer every day!

Stanton said:
I'm actually starting to get excited about capacity loss accelerating with the heat...because it means my new battery pack is getting closer every day!

LOL! Me too! I really hate hot summers, but I'm hoping this summer is both hot and long. Actually temps are going to be up here some this next week and I said to the DW, "That's battery killing weather!"

Lost my 4th CB at 55,800 miles, AHr: 42.36 / H: 43.38, 183 GIDs 100% Charge. Brought car in on Monday 7/13/15 and was told wait time around 4-6 weeks for the new battery to arrive. Two day later on Wed 7/15/15 got a call from dealer said battery is here, brought the car in, got a loaner and came back to pick car up on Friday 7/17/15. So, the whole process in my case, take only 5 days.

Here's the reading on 7/18/15 AHr: 66.14(99.83%) / H: 99.99%, 268 GIDs, 21.4KWh at 100% Charge, a bit lower than expected but it's OK. happy to see all regen circles back.

Other than the extra capacity, of course, that is one of the things I most liked about the new battery! I was all ready to turn in the car at the end of the lease and had already made the arrangements, in fact. I would have followed through and turned it in had it not lost the fourth bar right on the cusp of the warranty expiring (17 miles from the end), at which point I extended the lease another year and took the two month lease credit.

PatricioEV said:

My computer also was not reset so it also shows all of the previous charges that were on the old battery in addition to the new battery. It also only charges to roughly 87-89% instead of the roughly whole capacity like the previous battery. Of course, the new battery has a little more capacity.

Evoforce said:
My computer also was not reset so it also shows all of the previous charges that were on the old battery in addition to the new battery. It also only charges to roughly 87-89% instead of the roughly whole capacity like the previous battery. Of course, the new battery has a little more capacity.
Could you record the pack voltage along with min/max cell voltage at 80% and "100%" charge?

The "100%" charge voltage on the 2013+ LEAFs is slightly higher than on the 2011-2012 LEAFs, so perhaps Nissan found that a higher voltage was OK and moved "100%" higher. But with a new pack in a 2011-2012 the car stops charging at a lower voltage, so the LBC reports a lower SOC.

Has anyone on this thread actually paid for a new battery? I lost bar 4 at 62,000 miles and Nissan basically said tough luck. I have only 4 white and 2 red left now at 74,000 miles. I was leaf #11 according to my dealer, and the car only gets about 30 miles of actual range now.
Can't even drive it to work anymore!
After talking to Nissan at beginning of 2015 and them telling me sorry I have just used the car as a weekend local errand runner.
Anyone have any advice?

Back