$12k to replace 24kwh battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good response for Nissan HV battery warranty. I am trying to get an answer concerning LRN HV battery warranty. If it is the same as Nissan then I would like to know that before making a decision on upgrade for my 2012 Leaf SL
The part warranty is not the same as Nissan's. Last I checked, I was told Nissan will only provide a 1 year warranty when purchasing parts over the counter; this includes the traction battery pack.
The LRN 40 kWh pack for the Nissan Leaf has a 3 year/36,000 mile part warranty.
A manufacturing defect could be determined in many ways. Generally using diagnostic tools you can see the effect of a defect, and then open the pack if needed to confirm it. Other defects can be obvious from the outside of the physical pack. Say, a large swath of missing sealant. Again, feel free to contact me any time to discuss batteries, swaps, or just EVs in general. 608-729-4082 To replace or not replace is quite a conundrum, given current pricing.

I have a 2015 SV since end of 2017. It had 12 bar and 23k miles. It has 48k miles and down to 10 bars. It wrnt 12 to 11 six (6) months after I bought it. I was looking to. I found Green Rec or Tech. I recall 40kWh was $9k. 60kWh was $14k, which included new suspension springs for weight. I woukd NOT do 60 kWh. KEEP IN MIND these are used packs and they garentee it to be 80% for a year. My PLAN drive as long as I can (80 miles range minus 20 miles self imposed reserve). Also they take your own pack.

Keep in mind keeping it between 80% and 40% is best verses charging to 100% all the time, and drawing down to 0%. Plus letting it sit fully charged.

I'm milking it. I figure at past and current degradation I'm good for about another 9 years.

My next plan is replace the pack myself. It is hard to buy a wrecked 40kWh LEAF.

China has 40kWk packs for about $4500 each, min order 2. I can swap it out. There is a guy in Europe who offers the adapter and software.

Last sell it and buy a later 40kWh LEAF, Bolt, Kia Kona, Tesla. By the time you do battery upgrade you might come out same with newer car and more range with the FREE money our Gov is giving out.

I think you get that credit if you make under 400,000, so if you make more than 400,00 why are you even thinking about this you can afford a new or recently used car. After my 2011 which had the worst battery in Leaf history lost its range I bought a 2021 SL Plus and never looked back. It is my wife's car (she's now retired) and it will likely be her last car and got the 7,500 before it expired.

I think you get that credit if you make under 400,000, so if you make more than 400,00 why are you even thinking about this you can afford a new or recently used car. After my 2011 which had the worst battery in Leaf history lost its range I bought a 2021 SL Plus and never looked back. It is my wife's car (she's now retired) and it will likely be her last car and got the 7,500 before it expired.
For the used EV tax credit, see below for income limits which are significantly lower than $400,000.

Filing statusMaximum eligible income (MAGI)
Joint tax returns or surviving spouse$150,000
Head of household$112,500
Individual or any other filing status$75,000

How would manufacturing defects be determined during the warranty coverage period?
The LRN carries a longer warranty. 3 year/36,000 miles for the part.

Last I was told at the dealership parts department is that they only provide a 1 year warranty with over the counter parts. (Including the HV battery.)

For determining warranty, would assess the car's symptoms using diagnostic tools and look at data that supports what they are experiencing.
Just like is done for any car.

The good thing is that the shops installing the LRN 40 kWh pack are familiar with the Leaf and how batteries should operate and look in diagnostic scans as well as live data. As opposed to dealership where random ICE tech has no idea.

As always, feel free to contact me any time to discuss. 608-729-4082

EDIT: sorry for this somewhat duplicate post. I thought my previous one had been wiped out? But now I see it was actually posted. Mods can delete this one if they want. It's much of the same info as I wrote the other day.

Last edited:
.....not sure I would qualify for the used EV tax credit.
This is fairly straight forward. To be eligible for the up to $4000 federal tax rebate on a used EV, the vehicle must cost $25K or less and be at least 2 years old. The rebate will be 30% of the purchase price up to a maximum of $4K. The buyer must have an adjusted gross income (line 11 of the Form 1040) of $75K or less for an individual or $150K or less for a married couple filing jointly. The details on the rebate are available here - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

I also own a 2015 LEAF S. 38,500 miles and 10 bars. Owned it since day 1. Nissan quoted me $10k+ for a replacement battery. Honestly, because I'm retired and use the car for local travel, I regularly get 80-85 miles range. For my purposes, I can keep driving this for a long, long time. Of course, if you take it on the freeway and drive 70+ you'll quickly drop that range down to 60 miles or so. But your question is about what-ifs and I get that. There's a company here in Atlanta called "Green Tec Auto" that would upgrade your 2015 Leaf to a 40 kwh battery for $11,000. A replacement 24 kwh battery is around $6.5k, I think...but it's only guaranteed to have 8 bars of that because it's refurbished battery cells.

Nissan is basically telling us to buy a new car if we don't like our battery range. After all, they're in the business of selling cars, not batteries. I've thought about many options, including buying a Chevy Bolt EUV to qualify for the $7500 tax credit. But every time I do the math, I'm reminded that there's really no option more economical than keeping my 2015 Leaf. Like you, I'm always looking for a good option that day I may want to keep my Leaf and upgrade the battery. Can't say I've seen it yet.

I should note I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S in the garage that runs great for any longer trips I may want to make.

You can check out: https://nissanleafbatteryreplacement.com/

Cheers and Good Luck!
I have a 2016 with 8/12 bars. I checked in with a Nissan dealer a couple years ago and they quoted $13500 to replace my failing 30kwh pack with a 40kwh pack. NOT a good deal. What I'd really like is the LFP-based pack with thermal management which EvsEnhanced.com said they were going to bring out, but that has never happened.

I will probably goto the LeafRepairNetwork.com when I've got enough coin to do a replacement.

Used packs with 80% or greater SoH are pretty plentiful here in the PNW for under $3k. I just opened up a QC Charge "franchise" location in Portland, and while I haven't done any pack swaps yet at my new shop, I've done them numerous times back when I was still at the home location in the San Diego area.
It's also possible to installed a higher capacity pack from a newer LEAF (30, 40 or 62kWh), though those can get pretty pricey due to high demand... Though I haven't looked in awhile to see what the availability is like.

I have a 2016 with 8/12 bars. I checked in with a Nissan dealer a couple years ago and they quoted $13500 to replace my failing 30kwh pack with a 40kwh pack. NOT a good deal. What I'd really like is the LFP-based pack with thermal management which EvsEnhanced.com said they were going to bring out, but that has never happened.

I will probably goto the LeafRepairNetwork.com when I've got enough coin to do a replacement.
The 30kWh pack in your 2016 should have still been within the capacity warranty (unless you are over 100k mi or it's a branded title). You may even STILL be under warranty, as long as your car was sold new before today's date in 2016, so if you are in fact still covered, I would bring it in to a dealer ASAP to get the process started for a warranty pack swap (or potential buyback offer).

This is fairly straight forward. To be eligible for the up to $4000 federal tax rebate on a used EV, the vehicle must cost $25K or less and be at least 2 years old. The rebate will be 30% of the purchase price up to a maximum of $4K. The buyer must have an adjusted gross income (line 11 of the Form 1040) of $75K or less for an individual or $150K or less for a married couple filing jointly. The details on the rebate are available here - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit
I know all this. However, I will be close to the max income and will not know MAGI for sure until filing taxes for 2024 next year.

Last edited:
I know all this. However, I will be close to the max income and will not know MAGI for sure until filing taxes for 2023 next year.
An important thing to know - "You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your income is below the threshold for 1 of the two years, you can claim the credit."

"If a place is selling battery packs that degrade after one year, they will not be around long and the reputation will soon be known. Even Nissan's replacements don't get the same warranty that the new cars do. If you buy a replacement pack from Nissan, you don't get another 8 year degradation warranty as far as I know. I think you get a 1 year warranty but could be wrong. That is if you can even get a Nissan battery."

IIRC, you get the balance of the original warranty, or one year if none is left.

Have had a 2015 Leaf for two years and loving it. Battery capacity is down to 9 bars and while that's not hindering city driving it's enough for me to start planning ahead. Articles like this claim it should cost $3-$5k to replace these old 24kwh batteries. I didn't know if I should believe what I read on the internet so I called my local Nissan dealer and they quoted me $12k, which doesn't even include labor. That was quite disappointing to hear, especially since battery tech is supposed to be getting cheaper all the time. (They also said they would not install a 40kwh replacement on the 2015 model, after I asked, which I expected, but I figured I'd ask anyway.) So.... is the local dealer just marking it up? What is a reasonable amount to pay?
Had two Leafs. Gave the 24 to son, who drove 36 hours to Portland from San Francisco. 60 miles at a time, up the 101. He is happily using it on snow days to avoid biking in the snow. The 30 was sold for 6k. Great vehicles, but you have to know when to move on. We now own Teslas. Unless you can get a deal on the 60kwh(roughly) battery, wait for something with NACS. Driving Teslas is liberating.

Back