SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed meeting #4 as I was picking up my Leaf at Boardwalk as it was going on. Definitely the right choice. However, I am looking forward to meeting #5. Since I live very close to Cupertino, I am willing to let someone from out of the area use my outlet to charge while we go to the meeting location in my Leaf, but at the moment I do not have the charging station, so that is limited to Level 1. If the station is in by then, then Level 2 will be available. If anyone knows how to get the eTec / Blink people expedited, let me know. Alternatively, I could pick someone up at a nearby station with a Level 2 charger, such as Sunnyvale Nissan or Stevens Creek Nissan and drop them off later.

RAT asks. If anyone knows how to get the eTec / Blink people expedited, let me know. I contacted The Blink people at
888-998-2546 and got my Blink installed within a week.

gascant said:
Once again, thanks to all who braved the often heavy rains to participate in gathering #4 on June 4th at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. Many thanks to Carolyn (owner), John and Greg who made us feel very welcome in the garage and who provided a great deal of support to make it a successful meeting.

Highlights: 30 official attendees (14 of them new!), 6 LEAFs charging simultaneously at Luscious's brand new 240V outlets (NEMA L-620 twistlock), overlap with GGEVA meeting (which was very informative, and especially on advocacy activities), many members with LEAFs less than 1 week old, participants from Serramonte Nissan (who gave demo rides) and Plug-in America....

Next meeting (Gathering #5) is slated for the South Bay and will be held on July 9th. We're looking for a meeting space, ideally, that can be fixed for every fourth one. Google or HP (Cupertino) would be great. Need some member support here. Sunnyvale and Stevens Creek Nissan have both volunteered but neither has a meeting space that would be ready/appropriate for us. Maybe we should have a volunteer to take notes as well?

Please also post topic suggestions: For Gathering #5, I have a strong impression that the group would like to focus on the LEAF itself, so I could see dedicating the time to driving experiences, accessories/modifications, and charging (SOC, stations, etc.), with minimal discussion of general topics. Also thinking we should expand the meeting part to 2 hours (up from 90 minutes) plus the tailgate party. Please make your opinion known.

Howard,
Great job in organizing and leading the discussion at the 4th meeting. The bagels and coffee were also a hit. I think for this meeting, which was in series with the GGEVA meeting, some general topics are suitable. Actually I was one who suggested a topic that was discussed in great detail which goes beyond the LEAF (i.e., E-9A charging versus something else). I guess I am defending my suggestion. Your overview of the PGE rate and your analysis was very helpful to me. When we are holding a LEAF meeting somewhere else, then more LEAF-specific topics should be emphasized. So my suggestion is that for more general topics, every 4th meeting preceding the GGEVA meeting is a suitable time (I assume we plan to meet in Luscious Garage every 4th week).

Also, that was a good summary. I was there at the meeting but couldn't provide such a summary without notes.

linkim said:
Actually I was one who suggested a topic that was discussed in great detail which goes beyond the LEAF (i.e., E-9A charging versus something else). I guess I am defending my suggestion. Your overview of the PGE rate and your analysis was very helpful to me. When we are holding a LEAF meeting somewhere else, then more LEAF-specific topics should be emphasized. So my suggestion is that for more general topics, every 4th meeting preceding the GGEVA meeting is a suitable time (I assume we plan to meet in Luscious Garage every 4th week).
I was glad to receive the suggestion, Kim. Our members comprise a very diverse group, so we do need to cover topics that are of interest to all. The key is to achieve balance. Sometimes it is better to discuss non-technical topics in person as opposed to here in the forum.

Everyone is well-intentioned, I believe. As time goes on, we'll learn just how aggressive we can be with the agenda. After attending to EVA meetings (SV and GG), I see that they go for smaller agendas.

Thanks for your comments.

Rat said:
I missed meeting #4 as I was picking up my Leaf at Boardwalk as it was going on. Definitely the right choice. However, I am looking forward to meeting #5. Since I live very close to Cupertino, I am willing to let someone from out of the area use my outlet to charge while we go to the meeting location in my Leaf, but at the moment I do not have the charging station, so that is limited to Level 1. If the station is in by then, then Level 2 will be available. If anyone knows how to get the eTec / Blink people expedited, let me know. Alternatively, I could pick someone up at a nearby station with a Level 2 charger, such as Sunnyvale Nissan or Stevens Creek Nissan and drop them off later.

Good choice, Rat! And congratulations on receiving your new LEAF. What an exasperating ordeal it has been for you. If you submit your CARB rebate application on line today, you'll probably still get the full $5k.

Can someone summarize the PG&E discussion?

I'm in the midst of trying to decide what to do myself. I installed 2.1KW of solar eight years ago but stayed on E-1 since that wasn't really enough to make E-6 worthwhile.

Now I'm considering adding 3KW more (west-facing) and finally switching to E-6. But I'm also trying to figure out if there's any reason at all to consider E-9a or E-9b. I finally got my Blink assessment, and decided that we're going to home-run a new circuit for the EVSE so I will have the option of metering it separately if I could prove that to be worthwhile. Unfortunately, it just seems way too complicated to actually figure out how things would work out with the different tariffs, especially with an EV and solar.

I do have the old Tesla spreadsheet, and just updated it for the latest rate changes last month, but it still is a lot to digest (and trust that the inputs, and therefore the results are correct).

Anyway, I was just curious what came of the PG&E discussion. Sorry I missed it.

San Jose's Mr. Roadshow is throwing a party on Sunday June 26 for Prius owners to come and take off their yellow carpool stickers since they are no longer valid starting in July. I was wondering if it would be too tacky for a few LEAFs to drop by and show them how they can replace those with pretty white stickers on an even better car. The party will be at 1 PM at the Mercury News campus. What do you think?

I wouldn't do it without Gary's OK first, but I suspect he (Mr. Roadshow) might like the idea. He recently sent me a note asking if I had my LEAF yet.

Ray

lemketron said:

... I was just curious what came of the PG&E discussion. Sorry I missed it...

I wouldn't say that it came to any specific conclusion. What works best for one person likely could be different for someone else due to their baseline allocation, household power usage habits, driving habits, etc.

I think the conclusion was "it all depends", so you need to do your own research.

One bit of info was that PG&E no longer "forces" E9... You get to pick as far as they are concerned.
Much talk about E9-B with a dual meter, and how it can cost a lot to get the 2nd meter, and some cities may resist E9-B because they are concerned someone might use it to track power to a sublet 2nd unit.
Also E9-B makes less sense if you have solar.

Personally, I think Solar+E7 tends to be the best way to go, but E7 is no longer available, so if you can do solar you ought to look at E6 or E9A and figure out which works best.

A lot was covered, and not everyone agreed with everything that was said, so I apologize if I mis-characterized, or left off something important.

I couldn't make meeting #4, but I'm looking forward to the next gathering in the South Bay. I'm in Santa Clara and happy to let another BayLEAF charge on my BLINK EVSE - I want to know more about joining the private charging network.

One issue I'd like to raise is: What is your city doing in terms of installing public charging stations? I came across a city council meeting agenda from last October which announced that the city of Santa Clara had received a grant for installing 22 public EV charging stations. Not a single one has been installed to date ! When I asked about this, I was told they had so far selected 4 locations and promised these first few installations would be installed in the next couple of months. What's happening where you live?
I'm sure other cities are receiving funds too. Are they using them for their intended purpose?

The city of Cupertino approved putting two new EV chargers near city hall. The city previously had some RAV4 EVs and some charging docks. The new ones will be in a different location so there will be costs related to trenching and setting up. Thus, progress is slow and I don't expect them to be available until fall at the earliest. R. Lowenthal, CEO of Coulomb, is a former mayor of Cupertino, so guess what chargers we get? How to pay for charging has not been established.

lemketron said:

I would summarize the discussion as YMMV. It all depends on your baseline, whether you have solar, whether you use air conditioning, how much you drive, etc. The one clear message is that PG&E should be informed that you have an EV so that you won't risk blowing one of their old transformers.

Last Sunday I posted briefly here about Mr. Roadshow's Prius Party, hoping for some reaction, positive or negative. It seems to me that
  • Prius drivers more than most would be interested in LEAFs.
  • These particular Prius drivers at this particular party would be highly motivated to find a way they could once again use the carpool lanes.

Wouldn't this be a really good opportunity for some EV education? I was thinking that if some of us went we could show off our cars, answer questions, maybe give test rides, possibly even test drives. Is this a crazy idea?

Ray

planet4ever said:
Last Sunday I posted briefly here about Mr. Roadshow's Prius Party, hoping for some reaction, positive or negative. It seems to me that
  • These particular Prius drivers at this particular party would be highly motivated to find a way they could once again use the carpool lanes.

Wouldn't this be a really good opportunity for some EV education? I was thinking that if some of us went we could show off our cars, answer questions, maybe give test rides, possibly even test drives. Is this a crazy idea?

Ray

Ray, this should get its own thread.

Bill

planet4ever said:

Ray

As a Prius/Leaf owner I would be interested in a sticker removing party AFTER they expire.

Hi all!

It was my 1st leaf meeting and I absolutely love the atmosphere and camaraderie!

In addition to the great summary, one new thing I learned in the meeting was that the J1772 could be locked to prevent removal due to curious people/stealing. On the J1772 'click' lock, (silver thing at the top of the J1772) there is a tiny hole. Putting a suitable lock (have to ensure the diameter fits the small hole) over it will prevent the J1772 from unlocking and thus keep it safe from unintended disconnection. Phil also pointed out that the L1 charger also has holes at the side and it can be similarly locked to keep more "theft resistant".

For those that are interested in the lock that fits the EVSE:

pic

pic

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/LuggageLocks/630D

-Phil

jackal said:
In addition to the great summary, one new thing I learned in the meeting was that the J1772 could be locked to prevent removal due to curious people/stealing. On the J1772 'click' lock, (silver thing at the top of the J1772) there is a tiny hole. Putting a suitable lock (have to ensure the diameter fits the small hole) over it will prevent the J1772 from unlocking and thus keep it safe from unintended disconnection. Phil also pointed out that the L1 charger also has holes at the side and it can be similarly locked to keep more "theft resistant".
If you want a keyed version of the lock, check out:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=master+lock+130&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18248608547727250146&sa=X&ei=wO7yTb_rLYmisQOQsPjUCw&ved=0CDgQ8wIwBA

This is what I have, and I carry the key on my keychain next to my ChargePoint Pass Card. It works, and I just keep it in the glove box.

oakwcj said:
The Master Lock 121THC works fine too. Home Depot sells them in a two-pack for $5.49.

Most dollar stores carry these locks for $1. I showed the lock I got at the SF meeting. You just want to discourage someone from disconnecting your charge. You are not locking up the family jewels.

jackal said:
Hi all!
It was my 1st leaf meeting and I absolutely love the atmosphere and camaraderie!
Here's another photo of Gathering #4, courtesy of Marc Geller from Plug In America. I think this shows the camaraderie mentioned in the quote--6 LEAFs charging with a few onlookers, all the while in the shelter of Luscious Garage. It was quite the LEAF ballet!
bayleafs060411a.jpg

Do I need to bring "super strength" coffee to the next gathering? Actually the discussion is focused on the back row and was quite animated. Maybe next time we should get a group photo. I'll bring a tripod.

Back