SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks,

I know I said SF was unlikely for me -- but as fate would have it -- I have to be at the Cow Palace this Saturday checking in my bike for AIDS LifeCycle #10. So -- what perfect timing! I'll drop by the LEAF meeting before hand. It'll be nice to see you guys again. But I have to get to the Cow Palace around noon, so I won't stay for the full GGEVA meeting.

Since I'm going to be pedaling 545 miles from SF to LA next week, can I put in a shameless plug for my fund-raising? (PM me if you want me to edit this out...)
http://www.tofighthiv.org/site/TR/AIDSLIFECYCLE10/AIDSLifeCycleCenter?px=2563614&pg=personal&fr_id=1320

And since I'm transporting the bike and my gear for a week, I'm using the pickup again -- but my wife is very happy she gets the LEAF for a week all to herself :)

Cheers
Michael

I will be bringing a number of units to the meeting, both Rev 1 and 2. Units will be swapped with people who older orders getting first crack. You must pre-order on the web site and pre-pay, and have your printed receipt and signed waiver with you in order to receive a swap at the meeting. In order to receive a swap, your unit must be in like-new condition, we cannot swap dinged or chewed up units.

It is somewhat disruptive to our system to handle any kind of exceptions and orders where the standard procedure isn't followed. Due to the elevated interest in our services lately, It's difficult to keep track of everything, so unfortunately I can no longer offer any "custom" requests. I hope everyone understands. If you can place your order on the site as normal, and we have sufficient inventory at the meeting, your unit is in good shape, I will save you the time and money of having to ship your units and due an instant swap.

I would rather not accept cash, so everything should be pre-paid. If you would like pigtails or 120v adapters, please be sure to order them on the site as well and have your receipts.

If you pre-pay and cannot swap at the meeting, and do not wish to receive service later by shipping, customer service can refund your money. Otherwise, if we run out, I can accept your unit in-person, and get it shipped back to you probably on monday. It would be helpful if you provide a box and packing material for it, as we may have to charge extra if you do not.

Thanks, and see you all tomorrow!

-Phil

I pre-ordered and will be there.
The web site automatically included the $20 shipping fee, even though I hope to do the exchange in person.
Hopefully you can throw in the $20 pigtail adapter in lieu of the shipping fee refund.

I'm taking CalTrain #421, leaves San Carlos at 7:45am Saturday, arrives in SF @ 8:36. Is anyone else going to take the same train #?

Also, If anyone is interested, I have an AV EVSE in my locked garage that someone in the South Bay could use to charge-up and take the train up to SF.

Do you find the seating a little tight? I found it too cramped - hard on knee and back.
I fabricated a set of plates which allow the driver's seat to move back 1 1/2 inches.
I also changed the seat bottom angle and increased the lumbar support. If you are a big person you may like it.
You are welcome to sit in mine. It will be around somewhere. I always run the AV for the GGEVA Meeting

Andrew

awiegel said:
Do you find the seating a little tight? I found it too cramped - hard on knee and back.
I fabricated a set of plates which allow the driver's seat to move back 1 1/2 inches.
I also changed the seat bottom angle and increased the lumbar support. If you are a big person you may like it.
Andrew

I love lumbar support. How do you increase the lumbar support?

I put one of these on my driver's seat:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/993333/
And then a seat cover on top of it, so you don't see it.

LEAFfan said:
awiegel said:
Andrew

I love lumbar support. How do you increase the lumbar support?

Unzip the two zippers on the back of the seat. You will find the zippers tucked in at the bottom.
Look inside.
You can see where the foam block of the seat back is supported by a wiggly spring that goes across.
You can insert various things between the foam and the spring.
I am experimenting right now with a square of 1/2 inch thick high density blue foam workout mat.
It worked very well in our Mazda. For the Leaf I am considering two thicknesses and/or a thin (3/16 marine grade) plywood stiffener.

I will have the car at today's GGEVA Meeting if you'd like to see.

Andrew

Andrew

The meeting had a good turnout. The garage was full of Leafs charging, and plenty of Leafs parked on the street right outside. The agenda went a little slow (lots of comments and questions) so we ended up talking more about charging map sites, & PG&E rate schedules than anything else.

By the way, I mentioned an effort to have a unified charge location map database, and here is the URL I was mentioning:

http://openchargemap.sourceforge.net/

---

Here are the PG&E links that were mentioned:
http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/pge/cleanair/electricdrivevehicles/pevfaq/index.shtml
http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/whatyoucando/electricdrivevehicles/pevpluginready/index.shtml
http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/word_xls/shared/environment/whatyoucando/electricdrivevehicles/PEVRatePlanComparisonCalculator.xls

Also, here are some PG&E rate calculation spreadsheets created by Martin Eberhard:
Spreadsheet 1
Spreadsheet 2

---

Phil, thanks for providing plenty of modified EVSEs so that we could do a swap on site.

Glad to hear it went well. Wish I could have been there..I am working only about 6 blocks from Luscious. So close but so far away.

Random photo:
charge1.jpg

lleaf.jpg

Great meeting today. Always learn a bit more at these things!

After I left I went with kids to the Exploratorium for the day. At the end we drove over to Ghiradelli Square, and when parking at the Beach and Hyde garage (free juice bar! Thx PlugShare!) I ran into gudy and his family just leaving!

Thanks to everyone who participated--official count (per glenn) was 30. Been a busy day and I hope to get a summary posted on Sunday. I didn't get any good pics--would encourage attendees to post or email to me for posting.

I agree with TEG that we did spend a lot of time on subjects that were not LEAF-specific. Some of these were requested by members and others were follow-ups from Gathering #3. I'm considering, for gathering #5, devoting most of the time to car-specific topics (i.e., driving experience, accessories, modifications, etc.). Would enjoy receiving feedback on that.

I was also quite happy to see two new attendees from Plug in America. More about that when I post minutes (which I'll have to do from memory since I didn't take notes :cry: ).

Boomer23 said:
Any discussion on the West Coast Relay plan?

Well, yes, and no. Some of the PIA folks suggested that it might be emphasizing limitations rather than benefits of the Leaf. Suggestion was: "If you want to do it, do it for fun, and don't alert the press."

It started a brainstorming session of other possibilities including doing a photo shoot with a stream of Leafs down Lombard, to getting red, white and blue Leafs lined up for July 4th parades. (Could be dubbed "Independence (from gas) day". Isn't July 4th all about rebelling against the foreign entity that is taking too much of our monies? (Not suggesting we go dump oil in Boston harbor though.)

TEG said:
It started a brainstorming session of other possibilities including doing a photo shoot with a stream of Leafs down Lombard...

I had fun taking the kids down Lombard yesterday but could have used another 25+ Leafs! The car sure zipped up the hill on the other side with aplomb!

Once again, thanks to all who braved the often heavy rains to participate in gathering #4 on June 4th at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. Many thanks to Carolyn (owner), John and Greg who made us feel very welcome in the garage and who provided a great deal of support to make it a successful meeting.

Highlights: 30 official attendees (14 of them new!), 6 LEAFs charging simultaneously at Luscious's brand new 240V outlets (NEMA L-620 twistlock), overlap with GGEVA meeting (which was very informative, and especially on advocacy activities), many members with LEAFs less than 1 week old, participants from Serramonte Nissan (who gave demo rides) and Plug-in America.

Less-than highlights: The weather, no official LEAF count (maybe 12-15? I think we had 9 inside the garage, plus Ingineer's plug-in Prius), little dialog about the car itself.

Quick discussion summaries:
Venues: Try for places with indoor meeting space, large parking lot, charging (roughly prioritized). Suggestions included libraries, eco-friendly companies with chargers (e.g., Google, SAP, etc.), EPRI. Avoid restaurants if possible. Nissan Dealerships fine if above criteria can be met. Maintain rotation of 4 locations.

E-9 Rates: Very long discussion and bottom line is that everyone should do their own research using available tools (see links in TEG's post above) to see if it is workable for their individual circumstance.

Private Charging Network: Members are interested to maintain the map for use in emergency situations or where public charging infrastructure doesn't exist. Will be strictly limited to BayLEAFs participants (i.e., those on Mindfart List Server). Please PM me if you would like to add your dock/outlet. Side-note, interestingly, GGEVA had an item on its agenda for this but there was no discussion given the keen interest shown in the two guest speakers.

General Charging: Extensive discussion on getting comprehensive lists of stations. ElectricVehicle and Marc from PIA gave a summary of their conference activities (e.g., Charge 2011) and put in a plug ( :lol: pun intended) for more of us to join them.

West Coast Relay/Convoy: Plenty of discussion here (previewed in previous posts). As enthusiasts, we had not considered how the non-LEAF community would view it. Sherry from Plug In America suggested it would highlight the worst feature of the car, i.e., limited range. The group decided to consider such an activity ONLY as a fun event, and not one to try to raise awareness through the press or media. Will post more in the dedicated thread.

Advocacy: Smaller scale events such as local rallies and parades, green fairs, etc. Best resource for these seems to be existing organizations such as Electric Auto Association and Plug In America. Sherry offered her book for free to students and teachers.

L1 EVSE Mod: Due to time shortage, the group decided to defer this to the GGEVA meeting.

I'm sure I've overlooked something--members please add items and accept my apology if I've forgotten something important. As organizer, I wanted to keep the discussion going and didn't get to take notes.

Next meeting (Gathering #5) is slated for the South Bay and will be held on July 9th. We're looking for a meeting space, ideally, that can be fixed for every fourth one. Google or HP (Cupertino) would be great. Need some member support here. Sunnyvale and Stevens Creek Nissan have both volunteered but neither has a meeting space that would be ready/appropriate for us. Maybe we should have a volunteer to take notes as well?

Please also post topic suggestions: For Gathering #5, I have a strong impression that the group would like to focus on the LEAF itself, so I could see dedicating the time to driving experiences, accessories/modifications, and charging (SOC, stations, etc.), with minimal discussion of general topics. Also thinking we should expand the meeting part to 2 hours (up from 90 minutes) plus the tailgate party. Please make your opinion known.

Back