San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dav, Did Channel 10 News air your interview yesterday? I missed the 6 PM news but I watched the 11 PM Ch 10 news and I didn't see you. I also looked on the Channel 10 news website and didn't see the story. How did the interview go?

Frank, thanks for asking! I'm now a TV Personality!

Yes, they did the interview and aired the segment on the 6 O'Clock News. You can view it on their website here (Leaf segment starts right at 1:00 minutes): http://www.10news.com/video/24833855/index.html

I was saying that HOV access will not affect traffic in San Diego since there are so few HOV lanes. Somehow on the air what I say is the exact opposite! Too funny.

Dav said:
Frank, thanks for asking! I'm now a TV Personality!

Yes, they did the interview and aired the segment on the 6 O'Clock News. You can view it on their website here (Leaf segment starts right at 1:00 minutes): http://www.10news.com/video/24833855/index.html

I was saying that HOV access will not affect traffic in San Diego since there are so few HOV lanes. Somehow on the air what I say is the exact opposite! Too funny.

Nice Dav! They will probably want to interview you again when you get your Leaf. :p

Frank said:
LEAFguy said:
Frank, it is my understanding that the EV Project participants in San Diego will have three "EV Project" rate structures. It is not yet known who gets which, or how determined. SDG&E will require the second meter, and has stated that the meter in the Blink EVSE provided will not suffice. So it sounds safe to assume that all San Diego participants in the EV Project will require the second meter. I have a September order date and have heard nothing from Etec. I sent in an email via their "contact us" form a few days ago and have heard nothing back. I think I'll give them a call.

Can you tell me what your source is for the second meter requirement by SDG&E, instead of using Blink as the meter? The reason I ask is that Blink is supposed to be "revenue" capable and I read somewhere that SDG&E was working with Ecotality to qualify Blink to be used for billing purposes, so a separate meter would not be required. Thanks.

I received some information from Ecotality that I would like to share regarding Blink and SDG&E.

Q. Will Blink require a separate SDG&E time-of-use meter, or will Blink be used as the meter for SDG&E billing purposes? If a separate SDG&E meter will be required, do you know if SDG&E will charge me for the second meter?
A. I know that SDG&E has a special rate for EV charging that requires separate metering. Our unit has an internal meter for data collection and we are working with SDG&E to determine whether this meter meets their needs.

Q. Will Blink be able to display the cumulative billing period kWhs used, and convert that to $$ using the SDG&E rate schedule being used?
A. Blink will indeed measure and record the kWh used. We do not tie into the utility computers to determine their rates at any one time so the touch screen will provide you the opportunity to insert the rates that you have. After that, the display should provide your cost for charging.

My PD told me that a Leaf will be in San Diego this weekend on 9/12/10 for the Family Energy Day, from 10am to 4pm. He said that test drives would not be offered but he wasn't sure if we would be able to sit in it. See this website for more info: http://energycenter.org/index.php/outreach-a-education/annual-events/sustainable-energy-week/family-energy-day-and-street-smart-san-diego

Just found this site today, and it took awhile before I found this San Diego thread, but wanted to introduce myself to the SD Leaf crew, late as I am to the party. My wife has wanted a plug-in car for a long time, to complement her electric bicycle, which she uses for shopping and getting around town locally. We were going to convert her Mazda Miata to an EV when I heard about the Leaf a year ago or so. We went to the first tour event at UCSD and drove the conversion mule they had there and saw the Leaf on display (they wouldn't let you even touch it though, at that time). A picture of me getting out of the test car and letting her in for her drive at the Tour event has been up on the Nissan site for quite awhile (luckily, we are mostly obscured by the car!)

I convinced her that buying an EV from a major manufacturer with a warranty would be a smarter way to go than converting her Miata, even though the Leaf wasn't quite as "sporty" as she would prefer. We couldn't afford a Tesla, so we reserved a Leaf on 4/20 within minutes of receiving the invitation, and were assigned a Sept. order date. We signed up for the EV project as well, but since the electrical system in our old beach cottage is less than ideal, we got the "more info is needed" email from Ecotality. Our participation is "pending," and they will only pick up $1200 of the installation cost of the charger. Does anyone know if I can still apply for the Federal tax credit for 50% of my cost in installing the charger, beyond the $1200, even if I am in the EV project? That is, if we are still able to get it installed before the tax credit lapses on 12/31/2010 (which looks less likely all the time, as dates continue to slide). Or does Ecotality claim the credit, since they technically own the equipment for the first 2 years? If we get our delivery pushed back past Jan. 15, and they will only install the charger 2 weeks before delivery, this may end up being a moot point. If we also miss out on the $5000 CA state rebate because of delays caused by trying to join the EV project (to save $2200 on the charger installation and $700 on the L3 port in the car), I'm going to feel stupid! :x

We have not received our invitation to order from Nissan yet, but have our home assessment appointment this Sat., 9/11. Hopefully, this will get us moving towards placing an order, as we had hoped to get a Dec. delivery, which is looking more remote all the time. Has anyone been able to place an order yet with a "Pending" status on their Etec application? I haven't seen anyone with a Sept. order yet who is not already approved by Ecotality (or opted not to participate).

We have met with Brian at Pacific Nissan and they are our preferred dealer, being closest to our home and a pleasure to deal with so far. We will place an order for a Glacier Pearl White SL-Etec model as soon as we are approved. Looking forward to it! Being a die-hard hotrodder/racer/ICE kind of guy my whole life, I have many environmental "sins" to make up for by going a little greener in my old age. :mrgreen:

TT

I think I will drive down Sunday, leaving Laguna Hills about 9 AM.

I will have room in the Prius for one, possibly 2, riders.

I want to see the RAT-Blue before (or shortly after) I order.

garygid said:
I think I will drive down Sunday, leaving Laguna Hills about 9 AM.

I will have room in the Prius for one, possibly 2, riders.

I want to see the RAT-Blue before (or shortly after) I order.

Gary, as the event vehicle will be a pre-production prototype, even if it is blue you might ask if it is the final color.

garygid said:
They said that it was #24, actually made on the production line, not hand-made.
I was happy to be able to see and sit in an actual production version Leaf for the first time at the event, not a test mule like I drove at the Tour last year. Seeing the actual interior and motor compartment, digging around in the rear hatch, playing with the nav system, testing the headroom and finding I can fit my 6'4" frame even in the back seats with the front seat fully back, I had a lot of questions answered, even if I couldn't drive it. Looking forward to my test drive on Oct. 25th now.

I was able to get a lot of other questions answered by the reps from Nissan and Ecotality also, so it was very much worth my time to drive out to Clairemont yesterday. The Nissan rep said they were on the 3rd phase of production line testing, and near starting up the final production line. He said that running the Leaf at freeway speeds w/ A/C on should have no more than a 30% degradation in range (so 70 miles, possibly?)

The most important conversations I had were with the Ecotality reps who swore up and down that the home assessments were being scheduled to correspond to the customers order priority, and that they and Nissan had integrated their computer systems to assure good communication on these issues. The other was with the guy who runs the CARB rebate program, who said that there is a "pledge" of $5 million more dollars for 2010-11 in the state budget, on top of the $4 million for 2009-2010, which is still not expended. Unless it is cut somehow in the final budget process, which seems unlikely with the push towards clean transportation in CA, there will be plenty of $$$ for me to get the $5K rebate next year. That makes a big difference in budgeting for the car!

I'm happy today, and less concerned about the fact that I haven't been able to order yet.

TT

garygid said:
If the EVProject folks can find out our RAQ/order priority (or date), why can't we?
It would seem that Nissan (their database?) must have this information, right?

May be when they said "date" they are talking about the month ? May be ecotality thinks, if they can complete their assessment for Sept people before the end of Sept, so that they can order, that is good enough ?

evnow said:
garygid said:
If the EVProject folks can find out our RAQ/order priority (or date), why can't we?

May be ecotality thinks, if they can complete their assessment for Sept people before the end of Sept, so that they can order, that is good enough?
I got the impression from what Bill at Ecotality said to me that they could indeed see the reservation priority from Nissan on their system, and were scheduling assessments and installations of EV Project participants according to it. In turn, Nissan could look at their system and see when a reservation holder is accepted for the Project and open their order window w/ an SL-etec option choice. Nissan has said all along that your home assessment will always be done (if necessary) before your order date arrives. I am not sure if Ecotality has been able to keep up with the process completely, though, even if they are scheduling in reservation order. It may be that someone in the EV project will not be able to order as soon as someone with a later reservation time who is not affiliated, but if it happens, it will be a matter of days and not weeks, I believe. I think both Nissan and Ecotality have a vested interest in not making the exact reservation priority times public so that people like me don't start comparing their reservation times vs. order invitation times of others and getting upset. It might not be possible to keep a 100% priority correspondence going between both processes for a number of reasons, but they are trying to do it in the fairest way possible according to the promises that have been made. Nissan has always maintained some "wiggle room" for themselves in the order process by saying that your order date depends on reservation time AND market location.

Bill also told me they have 34 home installations scheduled for SD in Dec., and 216 scheduled already for Jan. (although the Sept. order folks have not all been processed yet). He indicated that since my assessment was done last friday that I would also be in the Jan. installation group, as my car will likely be delivered in that month. Their planning/assesssment/installation schedule corresponds roughly to the percentage of reservations that were assigned an August order date by Nissan and those that were assigned a September date, I think, and also roughly mirrors the number of cars that will be coming into the US in Dec. and January according to Nissan's production expectations. It seems to be a coordinated effort, even if there have been glitches and exceptions along the way. For sure, I am more impressed and comfortable with the process now than I was previously.

TT

ttweed said:
evnow said:
garygid said:

May be ecotality thinks, if they can complete their assessment for Sept people before the end of Sept, so that they can order, that is good enough?
I got the impression from what Bill at Ecotality said to me that they could indeed see the reservation priority from Nissan on their system, and were scheduling assessments and installations of EV Project participants according to it. In turn, Nissan could look at their system and see when a reservation holder is accepted for the Project and open their order window w/ an SL-etec option choice. Nissan has said all along that your home assessment will always be done (if necessary) before your order date arrives. I am not sure if Ecotality has been able to keep up with the process completely, though, even if they are scheduling in reservation order. It may be that someone in the EV project will not be able to order as soon as someone with a later reservation time who is not affiliated, but if it happens, it will be a matter of days and not weeks, I believe. I think both Nissan and Ecotality have a vested interest in not making the exact reservation priority times public so that people like me don't start comparing their reservation times vs. order invitation times of others and getting upset. It might not be possible to keep a 100% priority correspondence going between both processes for a number of reasons, but they are trying to do it in the fairest way possible according to the promises that have been made. Nissan has always maintained some "wiggle room" for themselves in the order process by saying that your order date depends on reservation time AND market location.

Bill also told me they have 34 home installations scheduled for SD in Dec., and 216 scheduled already for Jan. (although the Sept. order folks have not all been processed yet). He indicated that since my assessment was done last friday that I would also be in the Jan. installation group, as my car will likely be delivered in that month. Their planning/assesssment/installation schedule corresponds roughly to the percentage of reservations that were assigned an August order date by Nissan and those that were assigned a September date, I think, and also roughly mirrors the number of cars that will be coming into the US in Dec. and January according to Nissan's production expectations. It seems to be a coordinated effort, even if there have been glitches and exceptions along the way. For sure, I am more impressed and comfortable with the process now than I was previously.
TT

Sept. 4th I received an ECOtality email informing me that my status was changed on my dashboard to "eTEc approved", have a Sept. order month, but still haven't been able to order.

leaffan said:
Sept. 4th I received an ECOtality email informing me that my status was changed on my dashboard to "eTEc approved", have a Sept. order month, but still haven't been able to order.
Sounds like a glitch, or else they actually got your status changed before your order priority came up? When did you reserve? Should you have been able to order already according to what other reservation times people have reported?

TT

garygid said:
They said that it was #24, actually made on the production line, not hand-made.
I hope Nissan provides some photos of the first customer vehicles coming off the line. GM has posted a number of photos of the Volt production line at different stages.

I was browsing around and found the SDG&E experimental TOU rate documentation...

http://www.sdge.com/tm2/pdf/2157-E-A.pdf

The 3 rates ECOtality participants will be randomly assigned to are called EPEV-Low Ratio, EPEV-Medium Ratio, and EPEV-High Ratio. Here are the prices:

Summer:

Low Ratio - On Peak $.26638, Off Peak $.16243, Super Off-Peak $.13661
Med. Ratio - On Peak $.28863, Off Peak $.18153, Super Off-Peak $.07536
High Ratio - On Peak $.37838, Off Peak $.15135, Super Off-Peak $.06627

Winter:

Low Ratio - On Peak $.17194, Off Peak $.16532, Super Off-Peak $.13866
Med. Ratio - On Peak $.24220, Off Peak $.16147, Super Off-Peak $.07993
High Ratio - On Peak $.33081, Off Peak $.13233, Super Off-Peak $.06849

Back