Push it to the Limit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtegg

Well, after 230k miles today my Harley motor (the bottom-end) finally wore out, so now I have to make my 104 mile round-trip commute with my Leaf for about a month. I'll be running the 210 fwy from Rialto to Pasadena everyday, so I figure I will have to now charge to 100%, drive conservatively, and use SCE charging station that is in Irvine as a top off spot to extend my range (figure I go find dinner or breakfast there).

Has anyone used that charging station before? Where exactly off the 210 is it?

curtegg said:
Well, after 230k miles today my Harley motor (the bottom-end) finally wore out, so now I have to make my 104 mile round-trip commute with my Leaf for about a month. I'll be running the 210 fwy from Rialto to Pasadena everyday, so I figure I will have to now charge to 100%, drive conservatively, and use SCE charging station that is in Irvine as a top off spot to extend my range (figure I go find dinner or breakfast there).

Has anyone used that charging station before? Where exactly off the 210 is it?
There are L2 stations at Pasadena City College. In Old Town Pasadena, the Schoolhouse Parking structure has 120v outlets at two dedicated EV spots.

No chance of charging while you are at work?

Definitely charge at work, even at 120 volt it will be convenient and get the job done. If your work place won't allow you, choosing instead to continue our addiction to Oil and Exxon / BP style "accidents", check out locations around you. Say small local businesses that would be happy to let you plug in at their location for a small payment, or possibly free, just because they're really nice and want to do the right thing. Having a LEAF parked by their business might be nice for them. Anway, offering them $5 or $10/day to use less than $2 worth of electricity or likely less at commercial rates would be welcome by a business that needs all the revenue they can get.

Yeah, I met Irwindale I always mix the names up.

Unfortunately, JPl does not allow EV drivers to plug in. Hard to believe that in the 70s they were doing some minor research with electric vehicles and auto pathing built into the road, but now due to their contract with Nasa they don't allow it. There are 2 old paddle-style spots that haven't been maintained in the east parking lot JPL leases from Pasadena. I've never checked to see if they have an outlet, but I doubt it.

I'll just spend an extra hour at Irwindale and rely on my overnight charge.

Sorry to hear that your bike engine bit the big one. I hope I can get that many miles on my BMW bike before it blows! :mrgreen:

Any charging just outside JPL. Then you can walk/elecrtic scooter back to your LEAF after work? :cool:

curtegg said:
Unfortunately, JPl does not allow EV drivers to plug in. Hard to believe that in the 70s they were doing some minor research with electric vehicles and auto pathing built into the road, but now due to their contract with Nasa they don't allow it. There are 2 old paddle-style spots that haven't been maintained in the east parking lot JPL leases from Pasadena. I've never checked to see if they have an outlet, but I doubt it.

Wow, they can take part of a $60M project but can't install an EVSE or a simple outlet? Management needs a wake-up call!

curtegg said:
I'll just spend an extra hour at Irwindale and rely on my overnight charge.
I have never been there, but in order to do Mt Baldy or San Jacinto, that would be my spot to get to six bars or greater and move on. About 400 feet away,there is a restaurant with free wifi, and good reviews online, nearby on the same street (open 7AM-230PM).
http://picassoscafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is the addy... SCE
6090 North Irwindale Avenue
Irwindale, CA 91702-3207
(800) 990-7788

Forum member EVnation put up some photos here
http://www.ev-nation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84:big-day-in-the-next-era-of-electric-vehicles&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May it go well for you...

curtegg said:
JPl does not allow EV drivers to plug in. Hard to believe that in the 70s they were doing some minor research with electric vehicles and auto pathing built into the road, but now due to their contract with Nasa they don't allow it.
I would like to hear how a contract with NASA keeps them from allowing EV drivers to plug in. What am I missing here?

Stoaty said:
I would like to hear how a contract with NASA keeps them from allowing EV drivers to plug in. What am I missing here?
I don't know, but I have a suspicion. Remember the GSA administrative ruling that prevents federal agencies from providing charging? Despite the federal government's goal of 1M EV's on the road, despite spending $$$ promoting charger deployment elsewhere, despite federal agencies being the first employers you'd expect to provide chargers rather than the last. Wouldn't you expect, for example, there would be charging at every post office and federal courthouse in the country for employees and visitors? Well, it will take an act of Congress to overturn that GSA ruling, and this the Congress that would find it nearly impossible to reach a consensus that Tuesday comes after Monday.

walterbays said:
... Congress that would find it nearly impossible to reach a consensus that Tuesday comes after Monday.
For good reason! After all, every Tuesday I can remember was followed by a Monday a mere six days later. :p

Back