Plug-in-Cars article on Paul Scott, Santa Monica Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

http://www.plugincars.com/impatient-about-getting-your-nissan-leaf-chill-out-says-paul-scott-106634.html

He doesn't feel bad about price gouging... really now.

mitch672 said:
http://www.plugincars.com/impatient-about-getting-your-nissan-leaf-chill-out-says-paul-scott-106634.html

Boy, am I glad I didn't buy from Santa Monica! Paul Scott sounds like a complete ass.

mitch672 said:

Back in college I had a history professor who once joked that the US should handle revolutionaires by 'putting their picture on Time magazine'. That way, he theorized, they would have something to lose and would become part of the System.

Apparently the same theory also applies to EV activists. :)

mitch672 said:

Wow. Didn't think Paul was that sort of guy. He has a long history as an EV activist, and then when EVs finally come out and Nissan does everything they can to price them within reach of an average buyer, and of all people Paul Scott - in the end, it's all about lining his own pockets - hold on, I feel like I'll throw up now... :cry:

Edit: Apparently he's only talking about orphans. I knew Paul wasn't like that. :) It's so easy for one's quote to come across different than intended.

Well, he is only talking about orphans - I guess all dealers will sell them to the highest bidder.

My idea would be to sell it on e-bay and give some money to a eco-charity.

Paul has no concern about those markups. “You can call it gouging, but it’s the way the world works. It’s called capitalism and I am a capitalist,” Paul said. “I worked for free for eight years in this industry. Now I’m getting paid for doing what I’m doing.” He believe that it’s important for companies making and selling electric cars to be as profitable as possible, so they will continue to make and sell EVs.

When it comes to selling cars over MSRP only the dealer makes $, not the company making the car (Nissan).

Whether it’s standing up to G.M. to prevent the EV1 from being crushed, or taking the higher ground against ill informed or impatient car buyers, Paul Scott is not giving up his fight for the electric car. Sounds like somebody I’d like to buy an EV from.

Oh boy, you really prevented those EV1's from being crushed... that worked soooo well...

It should also be reworded to say that he takes advantage of ill informed or impatient car buyers... if that is the tone they are going for...

He does come off kinda bad in that article I agree. A little too much holier than thou... but that could be how it was written.

I've never met him... but that's just how the article reads.

I just want to chime in my support for Paul. I've met him a few times, he's super nice and, I believe, the real deal. He's passionate about EVs and solar energy and I'm grateful to him and Plug In America for all the work they've done to pave for the way for us today. He's helped me out personally when he didn't even know me with getting chargers intalled at my work and taking the time to speak to me about the public chargers in Santa Monica. I still don't have my car and I'm one of those impatient people he's talking about (where the heck is my car!) but I'm ok with him getting one of the first Leafs. I think he's earned it. And you know, it's not his fault that that's the way cars are sold. It's the harsh reality. Back in Nov. 2003 I totaled my car in a bad accident and really wanted to replace it with a Prius. There was a 6-month wait list and dealers were selling them for way over MSRP. There was no way I could afford it so I bought a more affordable car instead. Today I would be able to buy a Prius if I wanted to. That's just the way it is. You can't always get what you want when you want it.

evnow said:
Well, he is only talking about orphans - I guess all dealers will sell them to the highest bidder.

My idea would be to sell it on e-bay and give some money to a eco-charity.
Excellent idea. I'll bet Paul Scott wishes he could walk those statements back. The statements may be accurate, but they come off truly crass. Finding a win - win such as you suggest, would work best. The dealer selling the orphan makes additional margin and gets the publicity of the auction and donation, it's perfect!

Skywagon said:
Whether it’s standing up to G.M. to prevent the EV1 from being crushed, or taking the higher ground against ill informed or impatient car buyers, Paul Scott is not giving up his fight for the electric car. Sounds like somebody I’d like to buy an EV from.

Oh boy, you really prevented those EV1's from being crushed... that worked soooo well, idiot.
Paul is a forum member - so I'd appreciate if you can scale back on the adjectives.

But, yes, the article makes him look like he is talking down to us. Afterall we didn't crush the cars - so whatever anger he has about that issue, he should take it out on GM.

This reconfirms my original decision to eliminate Santa Monica from consideration. Even before Paul was there, they were unpleasant to deal with when I was initially shopping dealers... It's rather ironic that all the dealers near me (Mission Hills, Valencia, Universal, and Santa Monica) are difficult to deal with, arrogant, and/or and not competitive...

mitch672 said:

evnow said:
Paul is a forum member - so I'd appreciate if you can scale back on the adjectives.

I was just about to post the very same thing evnow. Thank you for beating me to it! The press can spin anything they want in a story and take things out of context. English 101. I would much rather look at the entire history of an individual than whatever the latest write up wants to say they said. I did not find the write up that bad. If you do know the fuller history of the EV movement you might appreciate where he is coming from and the fuller perspective of his experiences. There are alot of "Johnny come lately's" around EV's right now acting like spoiled kids because they are not getting the newest toy fast enough. I don't disagree with Mr Scott on this. Peace Out! :ugeek:

I was one of the other 3 that were delivered there so I can shed light onto this. I don't think the article captures his real tone at all. Taken in print it comes off all "I got mine and whatever price we can get" but that really isn't the attitude.

First let me say, they were really easy to deal with. Other than minor effort to upsell me on the service plan, I got the price I agreed to and terms. All were really pleasant and excited about the car.

Paul, you have to realize has been at this a really long time and has been waiting for this day. I would call him giddy like a young kid at Christmas. He has unbundled excitement. I will say he is a true believer that Nissan is the one that is really changing the game here with a commitment to the cars and a pricing that makes us all demand it so much. I think what comes out is he doesn't understand people that haven't been watching this for so long grumbling so much about issues with the rollout. It is very like the Prius frenzy (of which I actually had to drive all the way to Phoenix to get a car so I know). This is a huge move for Nissan and there are going to be some hiccups. But to Paul, a few weeks of waiting for a literal boatload of cars to arrive is nothing. He thought this might never happen. So that is where the "chill out" comes from. It is, "Don't worry, they are here" it may take a little kinks getting ironed out, but the genie is out of the bottle.

Paul is one of the nicest guys in all of EV land I have met. Truly genuine and caring to the point of forgetting sometimes when to be a little political...

Clearly there were some issues with the Quick charge. He is really disappointed also that he will have to wait some amount of time for his order to get straightened out. But he was as pleased as could be to see me off in my Leaf.

So please all, keep some perspective. And I know everyone is eager and jazzed, but a bit of patience. I realize I have mine now so you can say "sure". But I gave up my Mini-E over 6 months ago and having dealt with the pain of that rollout, you all will get the car and love it all the more for the experience.

-Jeff

Without Paul Scott and a handful of others you would not have a Leaf, period. Some of you may want to "do the google" and look up Paul Scott and Plugin America and/or electric vehicles before throwing out disparaging remarks. this combination, ("paul scott" plugin america) brings up 54,000 links.

As others have mentioned, Paul is talking about possible orphaned cars in which owners decide not to buy which would be highly unlikely in any case. I would hope these would go for tons of money extra as it'll make a great story.

When the history of the new modern EV is written Paul Scott will top the list with the effort; literally blood, sweat and tears he has given. How many of you are right now spending an additional 40 hours a week for EV's on top of your job volunteering to drive anywhere and everywhere, respond to emails and voice-mail till midnight, spend weekends volunteering at a booth and on and on? Paul has been doing this for at least the last 5 years STRAIGHT. no breaks, no nothing except utter dedication. he has never been paid for this work, until recently as a car salesman for the Leaf.

For anyone to disparage Paul, because of some supposed quoted comments is utterly ridiculous.

ranchleaf said:
For anyone to disparage Paul, because of some supposed quoted comments is utterly ridiculous.

If the story were about the Pope, I'd still say the same thing.

You're entirely correct that I do NOT know who Paul is. I was only going by that one blog entry. And to me, it made Paul look to be opportunistic gouger.

EVNation said:
Paul is one of the nicest guys in all of EV land I have met. Truly genuine and caring to the point of forgetting sometimes when to be a little political...
Thanks, EVNation. We shouldn't judge someone so quickly just based on one unfortunate goof-up statement that came across the wrong way. Sorry. His long history in the EV movement speaks for itself.
evnow said:
That didn't come across so clearly in his statement, and it was a direct quote. But I think you're right, after re-reading it, it does appear that he's talking specifically about orphans. Please, Paul, please try to be more careful in your choice of words! It's so easy to come across the wrong way! :shock:

cdub said:
He does come off kinda bad in that article I agree. A little too much holier than thou... but that could be how it was written.

I've never met him... but that's just how the article reads.

He seems to come off as rather egotistical; but you never know how accurately you may be quoted (misquoted) when talking to the press. Been there---done that.

I'm more than willing to give Paul the benefit of the doubt in this matter, for a couple of reasons:

1) Everything he and the other PIA proponents have done for the EV movement over the past decade.
2) Having been the victim of "out-of-context" quotes by a (biased) reported a couple of times during the past few months, I know only too well that it happens.
3) I've met him, and don't think he's a bad chap.

derkraut said:
He seems to come off as rather egotistical; but you never know how accurately you may be quoted (misquoted) when talking to the press. Been there---done that.
I knew I had a reason to stay away from reporters and cameras and interviews ... just had "forgotten" ... now have been reminded. ( I feel sorry for Paul for this "episode" ... )

I find it interesting that many who have no problem paying under MSRP have a problem with a dealer asking for a price over MSRP.

If you are selling your house and got two offers; one being for the listed price and one being $10,000 over the listed price, everyone here would take the higher offer.

Back