Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see them being profitable in 1st quarter 2013.

The rate of production is 20,000 per year. We'll see if they reach that number at the end of the year and continue to sustain that thereafter. Many have cancelled reservations.

Train said:
Many have cancelled reservations.
Not this again... Maybe so, but they're continuing to take in new reservations as well. It's not like they've stopped. As long as they're behind on reservations, it doesn't matter about the cancelations. Once they're caught up, all that matters is that "reservations - cancelations >= production rate"! Can they do that? We'll see.

GeekEV said:
As long as they're behind on reservations, it doesn't matter about the cancelations. Once they're caught up, all that matters is that "reservations - cancelations >= production rate"! Can they do that? We'll see.
What is the backlog right now ?

KJD said:
GeekEV said:
What is the backlog right now ?

The highest reservation number I have seem is around 19,500. Placed late in February.
They delivered 2650 in 2012 and have reached and maintained a 400/week production level.
With the factory on vacation the first week of January, that gives roughly 1275 in January, 1600 in February. Grand total of 4500 deliveries.
At the last quarterly meeting I believe they stated cancelations were running about 30%.
So, 19500 -5850(cancelations)- 4500= 9150.
That doesn't include sales to Canada, Europe or Asia, nor the undelivered inventory from the end of last year (300-500 cars). I am guessing that is about 5000.

GeekEV said:
But lots of people are canceling! Oh noes!!!

The numbers are pretty much as expected, and I believe the rate of cancelations will trend down as the time between deposit and final order decreases.
For some, their circumstances changed, for others, the switched to the Model X. But overall, the net reservations are coming in about half as sat as they can build them. 20,000 for this year seems pretty much in the bag. As long as ongoing demand is 8000 or more a year Tesla is making money.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I got the black, it blends right in with the tire. I don't have a pic of the chrome but you can see the black on black rim at the bottom of the page here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11494-Car-Care-)-(*!-Curb-rash/page7

IM if you'd like me to send you a close up pic, i can take one easily, just don't have an account to upload and link it to. they take some work to get on but they take a whole lot of worry out of the equation!
So I wound up ordering these directly from the manufacturer in England ( http://www.alloygator.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Shipping got here in about a week and a half. After the exchange rate, VAT, international shipping, bank foreign funds fee, etc., total price was just under $100. I got my local America's Tire store to install them for me. Their normal labor rate for 21"s is $20/tire, but he cut me a deal at $15/tire. So my total cost was $160. The first one took them almost 45 minutes to figure out and get right, but after that he flew through the next three. If anyone out there is local to the Sacramento area and wants this done, PM me and I'll give you the location of the store, the manager's name and the guy who installed them - he's an expert now.

They really do blend in pretty nicely, particularly on a freshly-blacked tire...

GeekEV said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
I got the black, it blends right in with the tire. I don't have a pic of the chrome but you can see the black on black rim at the bottom of the page here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11494-Car-Care-)-(*!-Curb-rash/page7

IM if you'd like me to send you a close up pic, i can take one easily, just don't have an account to upload and link it to. they take some work to get on but they take a whole lot of worry out of the equation!
So I wound up ordering these directly from the manufacturer in England ( http://www.alloygator.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Shipping got here in about a week and a half. After the exchange rate, VAT, international shipping, bank foreign funds fee, etc., total price was just under $100. I got my local America's Tire store to install them for me. Their normal labor rate for 21"s is $20/tire, but he cut me a deal at $15/tire. So my total cost was $160. The first one took them almost 45 minutes to figure out and get right, but after that he flew through the next three. If anyone out there is local to the Sacramento area and wants this done, PM me and I'll give you the location of the store, the manager's name and the guy who installed them - he's an expert now.

They really do blend in pretty nicely, particularly on a freshly-blacked tire...

Can you please post a close up pix of them on the tire.

Ian B

If you have a LEAF and the upgraded Nissan EVSE, you probably have a couple of adapters. The 14- and 10- seem to be the most common. For about 12 bucks, you can make them do double duty. On the 10- adapter, replace the L6-20 socket with a 14-50 surface mount electric range outlet.

Now the Tesla supplied UMC can be used with a 10- outlet and by combining the two adapters, the LEAF EVSE can still use the 10- receptacle.

Yah, but the Tesla adapters, which are cleaner, smaller and auto set the amperage are only $45 a pop. I just went with those. The factory service center had a number brand new adapters that aren't available everywhere yet, so I got them all. The standard ones that came with the car (5-15, 14-50, J1772) as well as a 6-50, 14-30 and 10-30.

GeekEV said:
Here ya go! Click through to view other sizes...

looks like you only have a 20.75 wheel and not a 21...haha. Nice solution. I've only seen a few Model S's and they all have scuffed wheels. Glad to know yours are going to look good for a long time.

And now for something completely different, Road & Track's review of the Tesla S. It is, to put this with British understatement, positive. Article here, enjoy:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-2013-tesla-model-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
And now for something completely different, Road & Track's review of the Tesla S. It is, to put this with British understatement, positive.
For what it's worth, I have been unable to smoke my tires (like R&T does in their review photos) in my non-performance 60 kWh model - despite my best efforts. The good news is, it's plenty fast, even faster than officially stated. Tesla lists the 0-60 mph time for the 60 kWh model as 5.9 seconds, but I've clocked it at 5.6! :shock:

EDIT: The 0-30 on that same run was 2.5...

GRA said:
And now for something completely different, Road & Track's review of the Tesla S. It is, to put this with British understatement, positive. Article here, enjoy:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/road-test-2013-tesla-model-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the article: "The Model S's power seats don't have a memory setting." My driver's seat does. Have one setting for me, one for my wife, and one for easier entry/exit.

Nice review, but I wish someone would do the non-performance model, and perhaps a 60 kWh or 40 kWh car.

Back