Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
congrats, great color combo! Sounds like the 60kW is quite capable!!
Yeah, based on that drive I'd say the EPA estimated range is pretty accurate - if you don't drive like an idiot.
ebill3 said:
Great, Geek. I'll be watching for your mods. :p
I'm not sure what I'd do, other than maybe make the nosecone body color and replace the headlight bulbs. I didn't get the tech package, and the standard headlights are VERY yellow - ick. The LEAF has spoiled me. Since everything else is touchscreen driven and there's a distinct minimalist no-button motif I'd had to add any. And I sprung for the upgraded stereo, and it already has DRL, so... Shrug. Ideas?
MrIanB said:
Congrats and would appreciate a pix of the baby.

photo 1 by Geek EV, on Flickr

photo 2 by Geek EV, on Flickr

photo 3 by Geek EV, on Flickr

Thanks or pix and take care of baby.

Ian B

GaslessInSeattle said:
nice pics Geek! that's a sweet ride, though I'm biased, almost identical to ours :~). I highly recommend getting some rim gators for those wheels, they are very easy to rash. I installed these: http://www.infinityworldwide1.com/rimdefender.htm
Specifically what did you get? The silver? How do they look on the chrome wheels? Do you have a closeup pic?

Thanks!

I got the black, it blends right in with the tire. I don't have a pic of the chrome but you can see the black on black rim at the bottom of the page here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11494-Car-Care-)-(*!-Curb-rash/page7

IM if you'd like me to send you a close up pic, i can take one easily, just don't have an account to upload and link it to. they take some work to get on but they take a whole lot of worry out of the equation!

george

GeekEV said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
nice pics Geek! that's a sweet ride, though I'm biased, almost identical to ours :~). I highly recommend getting some rim gators for those wheels, they are very easy to rash. I installed these: http://www.infinityworldwide1.com/rimdefender.htm
Specifically what did you get? The silver? How do they look on the chrome wheels? Do you have a closeup pic?

Thanks!

Are they re-usable for when you rotate tires or get new ones?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the pictures it looks like they are. And watching the videos on their site would probably help too, huh... :lol:

ebill3 said:
Great, Geek. I'll be watching for your mods. :p
GeekEV said:
I'm not sure what I'd do, other than maybe make the nosecone body color and replace the headlight bulbs. I didn't get the tech package, and the standard headlights are VERY yellow - ick. The LEAF has spoiled me. Since everything else is touchscreen driven and there's a distinct minimalist no-button motif I'd had to add any. And I sprung for the upgraded stereo, and it already has DRL, so... Shrug. Ideas?
Not really.

Maybe replace the license plate bulbs with LEDs?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12686-License-Plate-Bulb-replacement

You can find various mods (inlcuding lighting improvements) on TeslaTap:

http://teslatap.com/modifications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you don't mess with them when you rotate tires, they go on all fours and rotate with the rims/tires. guessing you can reapply when you get new tires but they'd need to be removed before dismount and remount.

GeekEV said:
Are they re-usable for when you rotate tires or get new ones?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking at the pictures it looks like they are. And watching the videos on their site would probably help too, huh... :lol:

GeekEV said:
>>>>> I didn't get the tech package, and the standard headlights are VERY yellow - ick. The LEAF has spoiled me.
Are the standard headlights more yellow than the high-beam on the LEAF ? I agree the LED main beam on the LEAF is just the right color. Many cars I see on the road have bright headlights that are annoyingly blue to my eyes. Are the Xe lights that come with the tech package this same bluish white ? Can one get LED direct-replacement bulbs, or is the voltage different ?

My understanding is that without the tech package, the 17" only displays your current position in the center and there is no route, much less turn-by-turn. Is this right ?

I have tested Google Maps new turn-by-turn voice directions on my iPad, and they seem OK.

For folks with the tech package, how does the turn-by-turn navigation compare to the LEAF's ? I really like the LEAF's navigation, and use it a lot in city driving. Does the Model S navigation display anything on the screens around the steering column, or is it all on the 17" screen? I particularly check the miles-to-go on the LEAF's screen.

tbleakne said:
Are the standard headlights more yellow than the high-beam on the LEAF ? I agree the LED main beam on the LEAF is just the right color. <snip> Can one get LED direct-replacement bulbs, or is the voltage different ?
I don't hardly ever use the highbeams on the LEAF, so I can't say for sure, but my gut feeling is yes. As for getting replacement bulbs, I'm attempting to figure that out now. All I've seen written up for the Model S is swapping out the license plate lights. I've got a request in with Tesla Service to get a list of all non-LED bulbs and their sizes/types... We'll see what they come back with. :)

tbleakne said:
For folks with the tech package, how does the turn-by-turn navigation compare to the LEAF's ? I really like the LEAF's navigation, and use it a lot in city driving. Does the Model S navigation display anything on the screens around the steering column, or is it all on the 17" screen? I particularly check the miles-to-go on the LEAF's screen.

I've never owned a Leaf, but I can tell you they are better than the Toyota supplied GPS in my a Plug in Prius.. The left panel next to the speedometer shows a mini map, and "Tessie Tesla" speaks turn by turn directions as you drive, when you are just about at a turn she says "now turn now", for example. It's really very good... Also when inputting the destination, it's using google online searching, so you hardly ever have have to enter a whole address, as you are presented "completion" choices as you are entering the address (or name of the business), since it's a google search, it also keeps a history, and you can easily select an address you've been at say 2 weeks ago (history is kept by date)

Miles to go is only on the large 17" display, along with your arrival time as well.

tbleakne said:
I for one think the Model S nav is hands and shoulders above the LEAF's.

Destination entry on the LEAF is tedious and slow. Entry on the model S is the way it should be. Start typing an address or POI, and the display starts suggesting an address or restaurant or business or whatever. Always bugged me that you can not enter a business name in the LEAF system. And if your passenger (or you) want to enter a destination while in motion, they or you can. The LEAF voice is a bit clearer than the S, at least to my worn out ears.

The route is shown on the main center screen, and excellent detailed turn directions are shown on a small high def screen to the left of the speedo. The only thing I don't like about Google maps is that the center display is always oriented north. I would rather it oriented in the direction of travel - maybe that is possible, but I have not found out the key to changing it.

And, of course, with the S you get seven years of updated maps. I don't think we have figured out if/how to update the LEAF, have we?

I think the Tech Package is over priced, and I don't sit on bags of money, but there was no way I was going to own such an advanced automobile without all the "tech" available. Exception - as mentioned, my hearing is shot, so the enhanced audio would be a waste of money.

+1
I gave up on the Leaf nav a long time ago and was just using the google maps on the iphone, with blue toothed turn by turn, it worked well, but the Tesla S's is the best I've used in any car. the mini map to the left of the speedo is awesome, I like the topo aspect of it, only wish it would stay on even when you are not actively navigating, it's that nice to look at!

ebill3 said:
tbleakne said:
I for one think the Model S nav is hands and shoulders above the LEAF's.

Destination entry on the LEAF is tedious and slow. Entry on the model S is the way it should be. Start typing an address or POI, and the display starts suggesting an address or restaurant or business or whatever. Always bugged me that you can not enter a business name in the LEAF system. And if your passenger (or you) want to enter a destination while in motion, they or you can. The LEAF voice is a bit clearer than the S, at least to my worn out ears.

The route is shown on the main center screen, and excellent detailed turn directions are shown on a small high def screen to the left of the speedo. The only thing I don't like about Google maps is that the center display is always oriented north. I would rather it oriented in the direction of travel - maybe that is possible, but I have not found out the key to changing it.

And, of course, with the S you get seven years of updated maps. I don't think we have figured out if/how to update the LEAF, have we?

I think the Tech Package is over priced, and I don't sit on bags of money, but there was no way I was going to own such an advanced automobile without all the "tech" available. Exception - as mentioned, my hearing is shot, so the enhanced audio would be a waste of money.

GaslessInSeattle said:
+1 I gave up on the Leaf nav a long time ago and was just using the google maps on the iphone, with blue toothed turn by turn, it worked well, but the Tesla S's is the best I've used in any car. the mini map to the left of the speedo is awesome, I like the topo aspect of it, only wish it would stay on even when you are not actively navigating, it's that nice to look at!
One of the cool things coming out is the smartphone connectivity / replacement of the built in nav. GM is doing this on the Spark EV and others. Here is the company/app. http://bringgo.com/about/smartphone_to_car_connectivity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitch672 said:
GeekEV said:

I've never owned a Leaf, but I can tell you they are better than the Toyota supplied GPS in my a Plug in Prius.. The left panel next to the speedometer shows a mini map, and "Tessie Tesla" speaks turn by turn directions as you drive, when you are just about at a turn she says "now turn now", for example. It's really very good... Also when inputting the destination, it's using google online searching, so you hardly ever have have to enter a whole address, as you are presented "completion" choices as you are entering the address (or name of the business), since it's a google search, it also keeps a history, and you can easily select an address you've been at say 2 weeks ago (history is kept by date)

Miles to go is only on the large 17" display, along with your arrival time as well.
Mitch, you mis-edited the quote tags there, that comment wasn't me... ;)

Tesla will pay back their Government Loan five years early:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/early-repayment-tesla%E2%80%99s-atvm-loan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TN's summary of fiscal year 2012 SEC filing:

Tesla Motors reports massive losses for 2012, profitability in 1st quarter 2013

By David Herron on Fri, 03/08/2013 - 01:13

Tesla Motors' management expects to immediately shift from massive losses while preparing for Model S sales, to immediately become profitable due to Model S sales...

Tesla's automotive sales in 2012 were $386 million up from $149 million in 2011, and total revenues was $413 million up from $204 million. This is the result of manufacturing 3,100 Model S's of which 2,650 were sold to customers. The company also earned revenue from component sales and development services to Daimler and Toyota, for both of whom Tesla is either designing or manufacturing electric vehicle components.

That was the good news, the bad news is that the company racked up significant expenses during 2012 and ran a big loss. Total cost of revenues was $383 million in 2012, up from $142 million in 2011, and the total loss for 2012 increased to $396 million from $254 million in 2011...

Tesla's management believes the company will be able to essentially turn on a dime from a condition of suffering steep losses to becoming profitable.

The claim rests on the fact of reaching the production rate of 20,000 Model S's per year. The company reached that milestone production rate during December, and has been able to maintain it since. All through 2012 Elon Musk claimed that Tesla would be cash flow positive on sales of just 8,000 Model S's per year. The big question mark is just how long Tesla can maintain sales of a luxury electric car, or will the customers dry up after awhile...

One item which could be a major cost for Tesla is the Supercharger network...

The SEC filing makes it clear Tesla see's the Supercharger network as an enticement for Model S sales. The company is planning additional Supercharger installations during 2013 starting first with the coastal areas. The big question is what is this costing Tesla to build, and will there be big unforeseen operational costs down the road. The SEC filing does not break out these costs, either for building the Supercharger network or for supplying electricity. It does admit risks that there could be unforeseen costs operating the network, or that they might be unable to build the network quickly enough due to an inability to line up locations....

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/tesla-motors-reports-massive-losses-2012-profitability-1st-quarter-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back