Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lpickup said:
There is almost nothing on the Monroney sticker for the Model 3 that I would be interested in anyway, except range...
While I would agree that the EPA range is the info of greatest interest, I would also like to know more about standard equipment and options, if that is listed on the the sticker (as it seems to be with most cars).

Even with overall EPA range, however, it can be a little misleading. Since the Model 3 is likely to have much better aerodynamics than the Bolt, it is likely to have better range at highway speeds even if the base model has a lower EPA range number than the Bolt (not that the cars delivered tonight will have the base battery, from what we know). IME, for local driving the range is completely irrelevant — both cars will have plenty regardless of driving conditions. It is only for road trips that range matters and road trips nearly always involve highway speeds — in my part of the country the speed limits are 75 or 80 mph and that's where aero gets really important. In my view the overall range number isn't as important as the highway number and even that isn't tested at 80 mph, so far as I am aware.

Just my different take on range: once one gets above 200 miles things are different...

lpickup said:
There is almost nothing on the Monroney sticker for the Model 3 that I would be interested in anyway, except range.
For a start, the sticker tells me battery size, and efficiency relative to other EVs.

I'm interested!

SageBrush said:
lpickup said:
There is almost nothing on the Monroney sticker for the Model 3 that I would be interested in anyway, except range.
For a start, the sticker tells me battery size, and efficiency relative to other EVs.

I'm interested!

Well, as least based on one of the factors relative to efficiency, i.e. rolling resistance, the Model 3 will be an improvement
over the two 'pigs' (Models S & X, where weight is > 5K lbs)!

dgpcolorado said:
IME, for local driving the range is completely irrelevant — both cars will have plenty regardless of driving conditions. It is only for road trips that range matters and road trips nearly always involve highway speeds

Very true. But since the reason I am interested in the Model 3 is to get off gas completely and use it for the one or two long trips we take annually, that is the most critical piece of information I am looking for. Yes, for around town I'm not worried at all. And like you said, for those highway trips, aero becomes more important than weight and the "combined" efficiency doesn't help me make a determination on whether the car is going to work for me.

As for having the options and pricing listed, yes, that is of course important to me as well. But the subject I thought was at hand was regarding the EPA fuel economy figures. It will be up to Tesla whether they announce the options/pricing tonight. I suspect that that information will be made available not tonight, but sometime within the next few days to weeks. But again, still not important to me and many because it will likely be several more months before my turn comes up.

SageBrush said:

That IS one of the pieces of information that I think will be released tonight (hopefully!)

dgpcolorado said:
lpickup said:
There is almost nothing on the Monroney sticker for the Model 3 that I would be interested in anyway, except range...
While I would agree that the EPA range is the info of greatest interest, I would also like to know more about standard equipment and options, if that is listed on the the sticker (as it seems to be with most cars).

Even with overall EPA range, however, it can be a little misleading. Since the Model 3 is likely to have much better aerodynamics than the Bolt, it is likely to have better range at highway speeds even if the base model has a lower EPA range number than the Bolt (not that the cars delivered tonight will have the base battery, from what we know). IME, for local driving the range is completely irrelevant — both cars will have plenty regardless of driving conditions. It is only for road trips that range matters and road trips nearly always involve highway speeds — in my part of the country the speed limits are 75 or 80 mph and that's where aero gets really important. In my view the overall range number isn't as important as the highway number and even that isn't tested at 80 mph, so far as I am aware.

Just my different take on range: once one gets above 200 miles things are different...
+1. No one is going to run out of range in cars with 200+ EPA miles for routine local driving with lots of surface streets/stop and go. I too look forward to comparing EPA HWY ranges of the Bolt and Model 3. Course, I'd really like Tesla to change the range calculator on the various model's webpages to allow for speeds of 75 and 80 mph, as 19 states (including all but CA & OR in the west) allow one or the other. I can only conclude that they're afraid that showing the decreased range at realistic western freeway speeds would drive customers away, but really, how many of their customers are that unsophisticated?

Of all the model 3 details TSLA has concealed from its "customers", perhaps after tonight we will we'll get an answer to an important question that no one has mentioned, what will these things actually cost...

Musk Risks Missing the Mainstream If Model 3 Strays From $35,000

Tesla Inc.’s Model 3 handover party Friday is a long-awaited moment for thousands of consumers who’ve coveted its cars but couldn’t afford one. Yet with the $35,000 price tag just a starting point, many mainstream buyers will still find the electric sedan out of reach.

Tesla has characterized the Model 3 as its inroad to mass-market drivers -- the base model, before options or incentives, will be roughly half the price of the company’s cheapest Model S. A crucial unanswered question is whether would-be buyers will be able to add features that have been popular on the brand’s existing high-end models, without being priced out of the market for the car.

“One question for Model 3 reservation holders is: How much are they really willing to pay?” said David Whiston, an auto analyst with Morningstar Inc. in Chicago. “Thirty-five grand is going to get you a very basic model. The average Model 3 is going to be more like $42,000, and a fully-loaded one will probably be in the $60s. It’s not a mass-market car.”...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-28/musk-risks-missing-the-mainstream-if-model-3-strays-from-35-000

In fact I think it's quite possible a fully-loaded 3 will eventually (once all the options are available) rise above $70k, list price.

Reveal at 8:45 PM here:

https://www.tesla.com/

And check here for updates:

https://www.tesla.com/model3

edatoakrun said:
Of all the model 3 details TSLA has concealed from its "customers", perhaps after tonight we will we'll get an answer to an important question that no one has mentioned, what will these things actually cost...

Musk Risks Missing the Mainstream If Model 3 Strays From $35,000

Tesla Inc.’s Model 3 handover party Friday is a long-awaited moment for thousands of consumers who’ve coveted its cars but couldn’t afford one. Yet with the $35,000 price tag just a starting point, many mainstream buyers will still find the electric sedan out of reach.

Tesla has characterized the Model 3 as its inroad to mass-market drivers -- the base model, before options or incentives, will be roughly half the price of the company’s cheapest Model S. A crucial unanswered question is whether would-be buyers will be able to add features that have been popular on the brand’s existing high-end models, without being priced out of the market for the car.

“One question for Model 3 reservation holders is: How much are they really willing to pay?” said David Whiston, an auto analyst with Morningstar Inc. in Chicago. “Thirty-five grand is going to get you a very basic model. The average Model 3 is going to be more like $42,000, and a fully-loaded one will probably be in the $60s. It’s not a mass-market car.”...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-28/musk-risks-missing-the-mainstream-if-model-3-strays-from-35-000

In fact I think it's quite possible a fully-loaded 3 will eventually (once all the options are available) rise above $70k, list price.

Reveal at 8:45 PM here:

https://www.tesla.com/

And check here for updates:

https://www.tesla.com/model3

What tripe.
As if FSD, or air suspension as examples are mainstream purchases.

That piece is a "great" example of attack "journalism." It raises doubts about a known fact (Model 3 base MSRP) while not providing a single shred of contradictory evidence to support the premise it tries to insinuate into the reader's mind. It's right down there with "Some say..." and "But what if"...

So, from the Model 3 presentation tonight:

Standard
$35k
220 miles range
5.6 seconds 0-60 mph
130 mph top speed

Long Range
$44k
310 miles range
5.1 seconds 0-60 mph
140 mph top speed

I presume that the numbers will be a bit different when the dual drive and performance models are released next year.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-specs/ and https://www.wired.com/story/i-drove-a-tesla-model-3/ has some more details.

Tesla Model 3 has no key, so don't forget your phone
When you pick up your new Model 3 electric car, Tesla won't hand you a key, but instead program your phone to unlock the doors and start it up.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-has-no-key-so-dont-forget-your-phone/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/ has pics of some areas I'd never seen before.

I think everyone knew when they said "from $35k" that meant "far from" for most buyers :)

Still, it's basically half the price of a Model S, comparing stripper to stripper and loaded to loaded. Based on that motor trend review BMW and Audi should be concerned. The nightmare scenario for them is they cease to be cool and the mindshare of the status-conscious slips away from them.

I'd be happy with the base model + premium package. 40k car. Cheaper than a Bolt with more features and that wonderful supercharging option.

Once the full driving tech matures, may upgrade way down the road and hope they have an activation fire sale similar to the sale they had on battery software upgrades.

After being a Leaf owner for 4 years with 80-100 mile range, a 210 mile car would be a dream.

310 miles of range for $44k is pretty sweet! The larger battery is a little more expensive than I'd expected, but for more range - We're happy to see that it's actually more than 300 miles. With a coefficient of drag of only 0.23 (okay, not the hoped-for 0.21, but still impressive), the range at 80mph should be quite good.

Our only disappointment is that dual motor AWD is delayed to "Spring 2018". Given our reservation number (a 3/31/16 reservation made right after the initial reveal), the Tesla website provides the following delivery estimates:

"First production" - $49k including larger battery and the $5k option package - Oct.-Dec. 2017
"Standard battery" - $35k - Dec. 2017 - Feb. 2018
"Dual motor all wheel drive" - Choice of 220 or 310 mile range - Aug.-Oct. 2018

So, about ten months' more waiting for an AWD model, with the risk of missing out on all or part of the federal $7500 tax credit. And probably a bit less than $5k to add AWD. Hmm. Does our family need AWD badly enough to wait longer and pay maybe $10k more? Darn California snow chain rules! If we instead lived in the mountains of CO or NV, we'd almost certainly drop the AWD and just buy some dedicated snow tires. That said, I think the Model 3 is worth its price tag even without government incentives.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Based on that motor trend review BMW and Audi should be concerned. The nightmare scenario for them is they cease to be cool and the mindshare of the status-conscious slips away from them.
Gas cars in general are not cool, save for some classics that don't get driven much. The main obstacle for EVs is still affordability. However, anyone who might be inclined to buy a luxury gasoline car should at least buy something that plugs in...

cwerdna said:
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-specs/ and https://www.wired.com/story/i-drove-a-tesla-model-3/ has some more details.

When you pick up your new Model 3 electric car, Tesla won't hand you a key, but instead program your phone to unlock the doors and start it up.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-has-no-key-so-dont-forget-your-phone/

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/ has pics of some areas I'd never seen before.

stupidest idea ever. Can't let anyone drive the car unless I lend them my phone?? LOL!

This can't be right

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

stupidest idea ever. Can't let anyone drive the car unless I lend them my phone?? LOL!

This can't be right

You are correct, it is not right. The Tesla Model 3 also comes with a valet key, so anyone else you allow to drive your car can use the key.

It's a RFID key card. You place it by the "B" pillar to get in. Once inside with card you can start the car. The phone app gives you more features.

Big takeaways, first cars are $44K+.

$35K will get you a black car with black cloth interior, and delivery starting next spring.

Model 3 Specs:
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Price – $35,000
Standard Battery
Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated)
Supercharging rate: 130 miles of range per 30 minutes
Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
Deliveries begin: Fall 2017
Performance
0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds
Top speed: 130 mph
Interior
15” touchscreen display
Dual zone climate control system
FM/Internet streaming radio
Textile seating
Front Center console with open storage and two USB ports
Convenience
Onboard maps and navigation
Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity
Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app
Voice activated controls
Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options
Back-up camera
Auto dimming rear-view mirror
One-touch power windows throughout
Power-adjustable side mirrors
12-volt power outlet
Safety
Full LED exterior lighting
Seven cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking
Six front row and two side curtain airbags
Three-point safety belts with belt-reminders for driver and four passengers
Two LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) attachments in second row
Electronic stability and traction control
Four-wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
Child safety locks
Anti-theft alarm system
Tire pressure monitoring system
Warranty
Vehicle: 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty
Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)
OPTIONS
Long Range Battery – $9,000
Range: 310 miles
Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)
0-60 mph: 5.1 seconds
Top speed: 140 mph
Deliveries begin: July 2017
Paint
Solid Black: Standard
Midnight Silver Metallic: $1,000
Deep Blue Metallic: $1,000
Silver Metallic: $1,000
Pearl White Multi-Coat: $1,000
Red Multi-Coat: $1,000
Wheels
18” Aero: Standard
19” Sport: $1,500
Premium Upgrades Package – $5,000 Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
LED fog lamps
Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
Enhanced Autopilot – $5,000 Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.
Additional features will roll out over time through software updates.
Full Self-Driving Capability – $3,000 (requires Enhanced Autopilot) In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.
This feature is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary by jurisdiction.
VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Dimensions & Weight
Length: 184.8”
Width: 76.1” (72.8” with mirrors folded)
Height: 56.8”
Wheelbase: 113.2”
Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
Ground clearance: 5.5”
Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
Seating capacity: 5 adults
Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
Curb weight:
3549 lbs. (Model 3)
3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
Weight distribution:
47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Body
Hybrid steel/aluminum body
Drag coefficient of 0.23
Chassis
Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
18” Aero or 19” Sport wheels with all-season tires
Standard Accessories
240 volt NEMA 14-50 adapter
120 volt NEMA 5-15 adapter
J1772 public charging adapter
20 foot mobile connector with storage bag

Now a comment on Range. We have been very happy with the Range of the 24kwh Leaf. We almost always charged to 80% which gave us 60 to 65 miles, depending on how and where we drive it. It was NEVER a long distance vehicle. Now with the Tesla Model 3 range will never be an issue, even with the 220 mile version. While on a long distance or cross country trip you will almost always use the Interstate Highway system. In this case you will never be further than about 130 miles from a supercharger, with most of them in the 60 to 90 mile leg.

On our recent 7,000 mile cross-country trip we would drive for 1 to 1.5 hours then stop for 10 to 20 minutes (potty break and walk around to get the blood flowing to our legs and feet). We would always charge to at least 50%, sometimes to 60% or 70%, but rarely more than that. For those who do not know, the Supercharger gives you full charge speed up to 50%, then starts to slow down the closer you get to 100%. For travel with the Supercharger network you only need enough charge to get to the next Supercharger (plus a little safety margin for head-wind, and excess speed).

We never had to just sit there and wait for charge to get high enough. With the Tesla Model 3 charged to 50% you still get 110 miles. Even with a 30 mile reserve, you still have 80 miles of range which will get you to almost all the Superchargers on your route. If you need more, just charge more. If you don't, then charge to 50% and be on your way. In my opinion there really is no need for the 310 mile range version unless you have specific long distance trips off the Interstate highways that you would like to just drive for 250 to 300 miles, then stop.

Now another opinion. Tesla has lots of competition for local driving. However, they have NO competition in the Long distance cross-country trip of 300 miles or more. It is either a Tesla or a GAS car. Period! What is the speed of charge at a DCFC? Twenty or 30 kw? In my Tesla S 75D the Supercharger charges at 100kw rate up to 50%. If it gets anywhere near 30kw it is only because we are there for something else, not waiting for more charge. Even at almost 100% we are charging at about 25kw rate. The reason Tesla has no competition is that no one else has built a charging network to support long distance travel like Tesla has. NO ONE!!! You can drive your Chevy Bolt for over 200 miles, then you are stuck. Maybe you will find an L-2, and if you are lucky you can find an L-3 DCFC, but you will spend more time charging than you do driving. You will also end up spending as much or more for the electricity than you would for gas. Not so with the Tesla Supercharger Network.

jmho

The only surprise in last night's event, was that there were no surprises...

OrientExpress said:
Big takeaways, first cars are $44K.

$35K will get you a black car with black cloth interior....
When and if TSLA starts to build them:

...The base Tesla Model 3 was confirmed to have a price of $35,000...with deliveries to start in the Fall/November 2017...
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-specs/

And if production is not quickly terminated due to "lack of demand", which you may recall was the excuse given by TSLA after having sold only a handful of the "~$50k" versions of the S.

Back