Official smart fortwo electric drive thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least one compelling reason to consider a smart electric drive (at least if you live nearby roadways that place a premium on these wonderful stickers in CA ...) ... last time I checked, a Camry didn't qualify but hey, if you want to sit in traffic while a lowly smart Ed whizzes by in the 'fast' lane far be it from me to say otherwise. Other than possibly a few used ones, this little smart is probably the least expensive new EV out there if one wants to go 100% electric which is still the focus of this thread, comparison's to other pint-sized EV's (like a Scion iQ or Fiat 500e) would be more in line but if one has less than a 9' space to park, the little smart is the only thing that fits (possibly a Th!nk might but good luck finding one ...)

1224132022.jpg

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

The 2014 Mitsubishi iMiEV now undercuts the Smart ED's MSRP by $2k, and gives you four seats plus CHAdeMO. You give up 6 miles of range, though, and probably some acceleration. I drove an iMiEV, but haven't yet had the opportunity to drive a Smart. I suspect they'll have to drop the price to compete with the i.

GRA said:
The 2014 Mitsubishi iMiEV now undercuts the Smart ED's MSRP by $2k, and gives you four seats. You give up 6 miles of range, though, and probably some acceleration. I drove an iMiEV, but haven't yet had the opportunity to drive a Smart. I suspect they'll have to drop the price to compete with the i.

Both reviews show similar performance numbers. I am extremely satisfied with my Smart Electric in terms of performance.

As for $2K less, not here in Canada, where Smart ran a special in November 2013, I was out of the door for $19K all in, which the Mitsu dealer could not come close to...so keep abreast of the deals just in case.

cwerdna said:
For anyone who is used to the refinement and interior quality of a say a Leaf, FFE, Volt, or a Rav4 EV, be prepared for a err... different experience.

Everyone I show the car to is impressed. Not a single person expressed any issue with the interior. I love the simplicity, and the user interface is far easier than any other vehicle I have owned before. Heated seats, and all the normal amenities are all there.

To each their own, and yes, as I stated, I loath the boring Camry and it's ilk.

I've never test driven a Smart ED, but I did sit in one at the LA Auto Show and I too was a bit...underwhelmed.

The smart fortwo, actually any version, ICE powered or electric drive is pretty unique and perhaps an acquired taste for just a few. We've sat in the iMiEV, a Scion iQ (non electric) and felt that they could have spent a few more bucks on the materials and controls, etc. but as always to each his own. We've heard that starting with the '11's that smart has smoothed out the trans a bit and improved the longer term comfort on the seats so may take a test drive on a newer model while we wait for the Ed. Our '08 is fine around town, gets low to mid 40's for MPG but has been used less and less with the LEAF around. We'll have to wait until at least February around here but they are making their way to other markets sooner if not already ... would be interesting if other LEAF owners are considering a smart Ed as their second EV ?

167 sold in December ... makes it #3 highest selling EV ...

http://insideevs.com/december-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

"SMART ForTwo Electric Drive: Despite only being available regionally, the smart ED continues to put up strong numbers (relatively speaking) – for December 167 were sold.

Quirky fact of the 2nd half? The smart ED was the 3rd best selling pure electric vehicle for the last 6 months of 2013 with 750 units sold."

97 sold in January; not bad for a slow month and well above the 'expected 60/mo' by their top brass ...

http://insideevs.com/january-2014-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

"Looking ahead, the good news is that the car will start to be available more widely in February as smart makes good on a promise to market and sell the car nationally. Look for smart to easily surpass 2013 results in 2014."

The Chicago Auto Show starts late this week so perhaps a few Ed's will show up at Chicago area dealer's not long after ...

LeftieBiker said:
I'm retiring this coming year, and when my Leaf lease expires in 2015 I'm going to consider the Smart ED, if the lease deals are still this good then...
I retired in October. In July when I still had a verified income I shopped for a new car. I was strongly considering a RAV4 EV but I was turned off by all of the horror stories om the RAV4 EV forum.

I sat in the Smart for Two EV that was at the Orange County Auto Show in Anaheim. I felt it was too basic. I wanted to checkout the Spark EV but it was not available.

In the end I ended up in another Leak. Since I bought my first one at list I was able to swap with the same payment. This suits me since I was accustomed to the payment already

the smart Ed was recently added (along with the Cadillac ELR) to the IL EV cash rebate list (10% of MSRP up to $4,000), the smart Ed is expected to be available in IL sometime this month and of course the Caddy is starting to roll out in small quantities as well --- the only problem I see is the MBZ/smart on the 'battery assurance' program as well many will lease the car which makes it ineligible for this rebate (purchasers only), so one would have to weigh in on if the $2,800 (max would be for the cabrio; $2,500 for the coupe) in a cash rebate is worth it; would imagine the BMW i3 will be added once it gets close to being available in IL as well:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/index.html

Currently, the program-eligible electric vehicles available in Illinois include:

Nissan Leaf (BEV)
Mitsubishi i Miev (BEV)
Ford Focus EV (BEV)
Smart "fortwo" EV (BEV)
Tesla Model S (BEV)
Chevrolet Volt (EREV)
Cadillac ELR (EREV)

Just got this in the email today, that Smart USA is providing a capacity warranty at 80% or 41.6 Ah for 10 years, at a total cost of $139/month lease with $1000 down that includes the battery capacity warranty. That is about $180/month

Is this another nail in the ICE car's coffin ?

http://www.smartusa.com/_assets/_pdf/smart_battery-assurance-plus_SEO.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 198
TomT said:
At about 22,500 with federal rebate, the Leaf S just seems like a much better deal on a significantly more capable vehicle...
...The best part of the electric ForTwo’s pricing, is that it does NOT include the $7,500 federal rebate, which the Smart fully qualifies for with its 17.6 kWh battery, making the car effectively $17,500...

I paid $19300 in November in Canada (taxes and discounts included).
The Leaf S was $6500 more. That is a big difference...

So far, I have been enjoying the Smart Electric Drive. It's a fun little car, and it works great in the cold winter we've had here in Toronto.

Smart sold 775 in the USA in March 2014.
186 of those 775 are electric drives, that is 25% !

Smart USA sold 203 electric models in April 2014. That is the most ever sold of the Smart ED in any month since they began a year ago.

Here is a video review last fall by Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield and Mark Chatterley on TransportEvolved after living with the 2013 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive for a week:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3zcojCWWs[/youtube]

It's nice to see something other than a "kick the tires" review (the reviewer only having a day with the car.) With electrics you really need a week to get the pluses and minuses of a car. There was a Fiat 500e review that was a week long that was pretty good too (don't know where it is at the moment). Can't stand the one-drive reviews anymore!

Thanks Nikky and and Mark!

Trend continues upward ...

'SMART ForTwo Electric Drive: Someone has to be smiling at Daimler’s HQ this month as the smart Ed almost took out the BMW i3 for sales in June.
Somehow, an astounding 278 fully electric smarts were sold in June – that’s a new record high – for the 4th month in a row! Considering the brand as a whole only sold 673 cars, EV sales easily accounted for more than 50% of the automotive revenue for smart in June.'

http://insideevs.com/june-2014-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

Back