Nissan LEAF Update from Andy Palmer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jspearman said:
The arbitrator was very adamant that the replacement packs would not be whole. I'm not sure where these packs will come from, since there aren't exactly hundreds of thousands of used Leafs on the road, but maybe they have cells taken out of a new pack to make it 9 or 10 bars? I just don't know.

There are variations in each cell during manufacture.. and each cell is capacity tested and graded, we assume the ones that dont meet the spec get destroyed.

Nissan could also manufacture special low capacity packs by just reducing the length of the cathode and anode strips (also saving cash).. but that does not seem too likely since the cells would be thinner and the pack would need spacers to fill up the empty volume. Too much work to save a couple thousand $$..

Herm said:
.. but that does not seem too likely since the cells would be thinner and the pack would need spacers to fill up the empty volume...

I just realized how the metal shells that enclose the 4 cells in each module have now (2014 Leaf) been designed to accommodate thinner cells... ohh spooky!

LEAFfan said:
Tony, his case is different. The dealer leased him a 2011 LEAF with a capacity bar already missing. He definitely deserves another car, one with a good battery, no degradation.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would go to the BBB on that IMMEDIATELY.

Although, he could still lose. With the new warranty, Nissan won't have to do anything. Just say it was delivered at 100%, and it's warranteed at 66.24% or lower. Call us then.

The counter argument is that the consumer was not made aware that up to 66.25% capacity was OK five seconds after buying the car, in which case the consumer would not have bought the car.

Like the battery fiasco, I think the ramifications of the "warranty" are yet to be manifested. I am REALLY impressed with how Nissan has covered their bases on this to their advantage. Again, I think it's brilliant for them.

ronwright38 said:
How do you get in the Class action as I think i got a lemon??

You don't need a class action to address your individual situation. Several owners have gotten results through the BBB in your state.

Unfortunately, Nissan has upped their defenses with this battery warranty, meaning that they are more likely to fight than buy back your car. Of course, an arbitrator's decision that the car must be bought back as a lemon would force Nissan to comply, but the current trend appears to be away from settling cases and instead using their "warranty" as a tool to deny battery claims.

I will add that you please have somebody with a strong command of the written English language (that you do not possess) compose your complaint to BBB.

Good luck.

TonyWilliams said:
ronwright38 said:

I will add that you please have somebody with a strong command of the written English language (that you do not possess) compose your complaint to BBB.

Good luck.

This statement is not cool

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:
Tony, his case is different. The dealer leased him a 2011 LEAF with a capacity bar already missing. He definitely deserves another car, one with a good battery, no degradation.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would go to the BBB on that IMMEDIATELY.

Although, he could still lose. With the new warranty, Nissan won't have to do anything. Just say it was delivered at 100%, and it's warranteed at 66.24% or lower. Call us then.

The counter argument is that the consumer was not made aware that up to 66.25% capacity was OK five seconds after buying the car, in which case the consumer would not have bought the car.

Like the battery fiasco, I think the ramifications of the "warranty" are yet to be manifested. I am REALLY impressed with how Nissan has covered their bases on this to their advantage. Again, I think it's brilliant for them.
I'm not convinced that it is such a brilliant move. What may appear to be a clever deflection for the short term may end up being a PR disaster in the long run. When all of the 2011 10 bar cars are denied buybacks and decide to launch negative PR campaigns against Nissan here in AZ, I don't see how very many Leafs will be purchased here or in other hot climate areas.

Nissan appears to have no real solution to the early degradation problem and perhaps they really don't care about these hot climate markets, at least for now.

myleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
ronwright38 said:

Good luck.

I'm not running to the "cool guy" award. If the poster wants somebody at a government agency / court / hearing / etc to take him seriously, that's what needs to be done.

TonyWilliams said:
myleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:

Good luck.

I'm not running to the "cool guy" award. If the poster wants somebody at a government agency / court / hearing / etc to take him seriously, that's what needs to be done.
Yup.

I Would like to get a replacement car or new battery pack as i received the car
with 11 Capacity bar's.
Which i was not aware that i should had 12 Capacity Bar's when i got
The car. :roll:

ronwright38 said:
I Would like to get a replacement car or new battery pack as i received the car
with 11 Capacity bar's.
Which i was not aware that i should had 12 Capacity Bar's when i got
The car. :roll:

They are not going to give you a new battery. So, please forget that option.

You may get your car purchased from Nissan in a "buy-back" which will require a exceptional amount of dedication in pursuing.

Your options have been outlined several times now. Perhaps a local "Good Sam" will take you under his/her wing and help.

Herm said:
Truth hurts

(picture caption)
Fighters of the hard-line Islamist Salafi group Ansar Dine in August. The group has controlled Timbuktu and much of northern Mali since a coup d’état and a successful revolt against the central authority in March.

how are you surviving in rebel territory, Herm?

TonyWilliams said:
They are not going to give you a new battery. So, please forget that option.

You may get your car purchased from Nissan in a "buy-back" which will require a exceptional amount of dedication in pursuing.
VK6iSY

Yup. I would be calling BBB Auto Line right now if I were you.

Be sure to contact Nissan CS as well, and have them file a complaint: (877) NO GAS EV. Contact the dealership, and inform the General Manager of what happened. Then report the incident to the Better Business Bureau.

thankyouOB said:
Fighters of the hard-line Islamist Salafi group Ansar Dine in August. The group has controlled Timbuktu and much of northern Mali since a coup d’état and a successful revolt against the central authority in March. [/i]

how are you surviving in rebel territory, Herm?
Presumably, he is a rebel. ;)

leafkabob said:
I just logged on a few minutes ago and saw Jspearman's post about his buyback being refused.
That is not what he said. He said that he talked with the arbitrator a month ago.
jspearman said:
I spoke to Rob Dickens at Nissan--in arbitration--a month ago about pursuing a buyback, and he asked if I could wait for the announcement before doing anything else.
According to his subsequent posts, he has not talked to Nissan since, or if he has, he has not posted the result of the conversation. He has assumed that Nissan will not follow through on the buyback offer it seems. A phone call to Nissan would provide him with an answer.

LEAFguy said:
leafkabob said:
I just logged on a few minutes ago and saw Jspearman's post about his buyback being refused.
That is not what he said. He said that he talked with the arbitrator a month ago.
jspearman said:
I spoke to Rob Dickens at Nissan--in arbitration--a month ago about pursuing a buyback, and he asked if I could wait for the announcement before doing anything else.
According to his subsequent posts, he has not talked to Nissan since, or if he has, he has not posted the result of the conversation. He has assumed that Nissan will not follow through on the buyback offer it seems. A phone call to Nissan would provide him with an answer.

Actually, they just bought back his car.

From the group of 12 tested LEAF's tested in Phoenix in Sept 2011, almost all are gone from their respective original owners. Leafkabob's car was one of them.

They are processing my repurchase now. Got an email from them on Thursday and the ordeal is almost over. We are actually planning a 2 yr/12,000 mi lease on another Leaf. Like I've said before, we love the car, just didn't love owning such a big question mark in Phoenix. We have nearly 21K miles now, so I think we could eek out 24k mi, even with a similar level of degradation. We almost bought a Volt before, and now I think we will trade our other car for one.

jspearman said:
They are processing my repurchase now. Got an email from them on Thursday and the ordeal is almost over. We are actually planning a 2 yr/12,000 mi lease on another Leaf.
That's awesome! Congratulations!

Are you going to get a 2013 and tell us all about it?

RegGuheert said:
jspearman said:
They are processing my repurchase now. Got an email from them on Thursday and the ordeal is almost over. We are actually planning a 2 yr/12,000 mi lease on another Leaf.
That's awesome! Congratulations!

Are you going to get a 2013 and tell us all about it?

Thanks! Thinking about a 2013, but got a 2yr quote from Power Nissan in Tempe for $2k down/$224 mo on 2012 SL. That might be tough to beat, but I do like those leather seats.

Back