Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing the indicator on the dash that gives time to full charge at 120v and at 240v is not correct when you use the modified evse at 240v 12amps correct?

what does a full or nearly full charge take on the 240v 12amp setting?

kmp647 said:
I am guessing the indicator on the dash that gives time to full charge at 120v and at 240v is not correct when you use the modified evse at 240v 12amps correct?

what does a full or nearly full charge take on the 240v 12amp setting?

I don't know about inside the car, but the owner's portal correctly recognizes that the EVSE is a L2 when plugged into a 240v supply and reports a correct estimation of the time to full charge. I'd estimate something like 10 hours from empty @ 240v 12a:

L2_modified_op.jpg

thank you , not bad....
it seem like plenty of drivers could get along fine with this option.

I think If I get a Leaf I will still get a Leviton or AV evse, but this is a good option too.

I would want this in the trunk of my Leaf!

What socket-adapter cables will be available?

There are 240v plugs with a handle on the back side of the plug, for much safer handling during insertion and removal.

Will these plugs "handle" plugs be available on adapter cords?

Presumably, for safety, there will NOT be an adapter offered for old-style (3-prong) dryer plugs?

If one buys 6 different adapters, the 4-foot ones start to use up significantly "more" storage (cargo) space.

Are "short" (about 1 foot) adapters available, as well as the "long" (about 4 feet) adapters?

Those who buy other plug-in EVSEs like SPX, capable of 32 amps for EVs with higher-capacity chargers, will also want a source of "good" adapter cords.

Even though the "Nissan L1" EVSE uses only 12 amps now, will the adapters with higher-amp plugs have higher-amp wiring, so they could be used on other, higher-current EVSEs?

Any cost estimates for the "mod" or adapters yet?

garygid said:

There are 240v plugs with a handle on the back side of the plug, for much safer handling during insertion and removal.

Presumably, for safety, there will NOT be an adapter offered for old-style (3-prong) dryer plugs?

If one buys 6 different adapters, the 4-foot ones start to use up significantly "more" storage (cargo) space.

Are "short" (about 1 foot) adapters available, as well as the "long" (about 4 feet) adapters?

Those who buy other plug-in EVSEs like SPX, capable of 32 amps for EVs with higher-capacity chargers, will also want a source of "good" adapter cords.

Even though the "Nissan L1" EVSE uses only 12 amps now, will the adapters with higher-amp plugs have higher-amp wiring, so they could be used on other, higher-current EVSEs?

Any plug you like any way you like, length, etc.

garygid said:

Hi Gary,

The EVSE upgrade will include the installation of a standard L6-20P on the EVSE and a short adapter pigtail with and L6-20R and the standard 120V (5-15P) plug as shown:
pic

Of course, Anyone can construct any adapters they desire; there is nothing unusual about them. They are all basically straight-through cables. Prudence would include fuses if you go from a higher amperage connector to lower, but that is at your discretion. We will be implementing such protection on our adapters. I know you are probably qualified to make your own, that way you can make them any length/configuration you like.

Regarding the higher current; since all our adapters will terminate in an L6-20R, we will be wiring and fusing the adapter for 20A. As long as you are under 20A draw, you can use any other device you like. We are going this route on the adapter and plug configuration, as it is the safest way to implement the multiple input configuration, and still keep the overall cost, size, and weight low while keeping safety paramount.

We will be offering a standard set of optional adapter configurations, but depending on the request, we can probably configure them how you prefer.

For safety, The EVSE performs a ground validation test upon powerup, so if the adapter or the target outlet miswired, the EVSE will indicate this with either a flashing Ready LED or the Fault LED.

-Phil

1051 said:
When are we going to get a price?

We are attempting to source the parts right now, and get the best deals we can on them so we can keep the price as low as possible. We can't yet give the actual price, but the ballpark is likely below $200.

Ingineer said:
Regarding the higher current; since all our adapters will terminate in an L6-20R, we will be wiring and fusing the adapter for 20A. As long as you are under 20A draw, you can use any other device you like. We are going this route on the adapter and plug configuration, as it is the safest way to implement the multiple input configuration, and still keep the overall cost, size, and weight low while keeping safety paramount.
Very nice. :)

I suspect you will sell a good number of these. I suspect you'll sell even more if you can build your own EVSE for a reasonable price.

Although I could build adapters, many cannot do it properly and safely. So a good resource for adapters will be a value to many. Also, I prefer to support your good work, if it is not too expensive to do so.

I am hoping that the "field adjustable" Max-Current setting on the "universal voltage" SPX EVSE will actually be "very easy", requiring just a few presses of their Reset button to step through the available settings (at least 12, 16, 24, and 32 amps). This feature would give me/us the added dimension needed to have a VERY flexible EVSE. But, adapters would still be required.

Please keep up the good work.
Cheers, Gary

my guess is that this is a very easy hack for those that know electricity and electronics...

leafin said:
my guess is that this is a very easy hack for those that know electricity and electronics...
Ah, but that's the catch. Not to mention if you want to be SURE, you have to de-pot the entire circuit board - which is no small task. If the price is right, I'd gladly pay someone else to do it for me.

DarkStar said:
EVDRIVER: Did you ever figure out what was up with the three unconnected pins in the EVSE? They seem out of place... Thx!

These are for in-system programming of the microcontroller. This is done so they can load the firmware during production.

-Phil

MrZorg said:
leafin said:
Ah, but that's the catch. Not to mention if you want to be SURE, you have to de-pot the entire circuit board - which is no small task. If the price is right, I'd gladly pay someone else to do it for me.

Yes, and it was a royal pain in the butt to get that stuff off, and I've had a lot of experience depotting. As it is, I broke some components but luckily, was able to replace them. (For instance, If I had broken the microcontroller, I would have been SOL!)

Doing EVSE upgrades for a small stipend isn't a very good business model, but since I've already figured out how, I figure I might as well help everyone out until there is a better alternative.

-Phil

I have a 50A 240V outlet in my garage for my stick welder. Does anybody know of anyone making an EVSE that will plug directly into that outlet so I can take the EVSE with me? :?: :idea:

Ingineer said:
DarkStar said:
EVDRIVER: Did you ever figure out what was up with the three unconnected pins in the EVSE? They seem out of place... Thx!

These are for in-system programming of the microcontroller. This is done so they can load the firmware during production.

-Phil
Hey Phil, thanks for the info! That's what I was originally assuming, but I was thinking 3 pins weren't enough for programming...

ERG4ALL said:
I have a 50A 240V outlet in my garage for my stick welder. Does anybody know of anyone making an EVSE that will plug directly into that outlet so I can take the EVSE with me? :?: :idea:

Checkout what's coming from Leviton @ http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=34834&minisite=10091 (I believe there's a thread on it as well). I'm looking at one of their "wall mounted" versions to plug into a 30A 240V outlet I had installed in my garage almost 20 YEARS AGO (I've always wanted an electric car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back