New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a Leaf with the heat pump, Winter driving means about 1/6th-1/4 less range in temps above freezing, and 1/3 to 1/2 less range in sub-freezing temps. For a Leaf without the heat pump, it's more like 1/3 and 1/2. In temps approaching 10F and colder, the advantage of the heat pump is almost nil. Which Leafs have the heat pump? None of the pre-2013 cars have it, and from 2013 through 2016 the SV and SL trims have it. I'm not sure if the All Weather Package arrived with the 2017 model year, or with the 2018 rollout of the Gen II Leaf. From 2018 through 2021 (IIRC), the SL came with heated front seats and steering wheel, and the heat pump standard, while the SV only got them with the All Weather Package, and the S only got the heated seats and steering wheel (plus a rear HVAC duct) with that package. The heated seats, etc and heat pump are once again standard on both the SV and SL.

Great info , thank you . It rarely gets to 10F where I am so I guess that’s a plus . As I am looking , I have come across Leafs where you purchase the car online and they deliver it your home and then you have 7days to see if you like it or not. If not they’ll come back , pick up the car and give a full refund . Do you can physically see the car until they deliver it. What are your thoughts on a buying like that . I guess you could use the obd2 and leaf spy to check the battery condition within that week, that would be a positive I think .

As long as you are well prepared to return the car, and the price (which those sites never negotiate on) is ok, I don't see any harm in trying that. Keep in mind, though, that those online dealers get most of their cars from lease returns that are either from hot climates, or have Iffy histories because of previous body damage.

Dyno1 said:
and a 24kwh down to 11 bars would have roughly 114kms if I have done my math correctly
The range would be between 105km - 116km, depending upon SOH, as mentioned here: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32725&start=20#p612696

Found a private deal 2017 SV model battery just dropped to 11 bars has just over 40,000kms . No accidents , just seeing if they can send me the carfax and if the price is negotiable. Asking about $22,000 Canadian not sure if that’s to much . I guess would have battery warranty until 2025

Just to put things in perspective for you on how over-priced the used car market is right now...

In January of 2017, I bought a 2013 SV LEAF with 12 bars for $8000 USD ($10,500 at the time), which I purchased from Washington State and imported myself for a total cost of $1000 CA. I added DRLs myself (federal law requirement), which was cheap and easy to do thanks to a post on these forums.

So, all in I got a 3-1/2 year old, 12 bar, 2013 SV with charging package for under $12,000 CAD.

That kind of deal may never happen again, but I think it underscores just how bad the current market is when you are looking to spend over $20k CAD for a 5 year old LEAF.

BTW, you can find a 2016 LEAF SV (30 kWh) in WA for about $12000 - $14000 USD, so you might want to explore the option of importing a LEAF as it will save you several thousand dollars over what you'll pay in Vancouver.

Here's one example: https://shift.com/car/2016-white-nissan-leaf/c111203

It's a 9 bar, so I wouldn't buy that one, but there are others if you are patient and you're ready to act quickly - they sell fast.

Unfortunately, unlike in the US, deals on new LEAFs are non-existent. We do have a federal rebate of $5000 and a BC rebate of $3000, but a new 2022 LEAF SV (not Plus) is $38000 CAD and dealers don't need to resort to discounting them as there's too little supply. In other words, a new 2022 SV (40 kWh) is a $30,000 CAD car.

My now 10 bar 2013 SV is probably worth $8500 CAD. So, I would still be on the hook for over $20k net.

I will wait patiently on the sidelines for used car prices to normalize in the US and then buy a 2018 LEAF in WA and import it into Canada.

That sounds like a good plan. You may want to look for a '19, though, as the '18s apparently had a higher glitch and battery defect rate. So an '18 for sale would be more likely to be one of those.

The used car market is crazy right now. I thought of buying in the US but I then would have to add another 20% -25% for exchange so it would get it close to prices here . I may go look at the 2017 tomorrow, it has a cosmetic dent in the rear right door so they are willing to take off $1000 on asking and hopefully get a bit more off. The 2015 I found with the 12 bars is $3000 less but I think the paying the extra $3000 would be worth it for a car that’s 2 years newer , has 11 bars on the 30kwh battery ( just dropped to 11 recently) and is still under warranty. Even at 11 bars would have more range than a full 12 bar 24kwh leaf .That logic seem right ?

A 12 bar 2015 S, for $11k USD:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=609647986

If you offered them $10k, that's $12,500 CAD, plus $1000 CAD to import (including taxes).

Well since my lady post I have rethought and am holding off on going to see the 2017, the price is just more than I was looking to spend . Still thinking about the 2015 with the full 12 bars falls more within my price range but lower driving range. When you say a 30kwh might entail more dealership interaction , do you mean headaches trying to deal with them if there is a problem ? Would the 2015 be more reliable in that sense since it has the lizard pack battery .

When you say a 30kwh might entail more dealership interaction , do you mean headaches trying to deal with them if there is a problem ? Would the 2015 be more reliable in that sense since it has the lizard pack battery .

Yes, and probably. I can't guarantee that any particular Leaf won't be a lemon, but in general a 2015 Leaf would be less likely to cause visits to the dealership than a 30kwh Leaf. The exception might be a 30kwh Leaf that had the BMS update 3+ months ago, yet still has 11 or 12 capacity bars. That would be the best of both worlds.

Ok, thank you. The2017 I was going to look at today, the owner said they have done no maintenance to it since they bought it in 2019. So I am think the BMS update hasn't been done, unless it was done before they bought it. The Leaf is an import from Washington State. If I did go with a 2015 (which would be more in my price range , about $3000-$4000 cheaper) , I am able to charge at work when there to top up the battery if needed. My work locations change so my drive would range from 25Kms (15miles) one way to 45 Kms (29 miles) one way depending what work location I am at, that's why I am thinking a 24 kwh battery would work. I know overtime the range would lessen , I would need the Leaf for about 6-8 years of commuting. Would a 12 bar 24kwh last that long? I know that's probably hard to say not knowing the SOH of the battery. I called Nissan Canada to try to inquire about a battery replacement cost but they referred me to my local dealership. I spoke to a gentleman in the parts department who said they have never done a full battery but they currently had a 2013 Leaf they were change a few of the cells at $1000 Canadian per cell.

Patience is key and it sounds like you are getting knowledgeable about what you want. The good deals will not last long so you need to keep looking and be ready to commit quickly when you see something good. Good luck.

Definitely learning lots from the great people on this forum and searching for info on the internet. Found a 2017 online where they drop the vehicle off at your home and only require a $100 deposit upfront. Once the car is delivered, you can inspect it and take it for a test drive and only then if you like it you make full payment. Unlike Canada Drives which requires full payment upfront before delivery. Not big on the idea of paying for a car upfront before getting to view it. Trying to be patient and not rush into anything , but I know if a good deal comes along I can't be slow to jump on it.

2017 with a 30kwh battery showing 78% charge with 10 bars showing and range indicating 127kms on the gauge , is that a good battery ? Would I ad 6.25% for the 11th bar to get available range ( adding 6.25% shows approximately 134km range) The car has 11/12 bars showing. I know using leafspy is the most accurate way to get battery health .

Back