Multiple DC Quick Charges did get a Hot Battery for this guy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FairwoodRed said:
edatoakrun said:
I just called AeroVironment’s Subscriber Network.

Was told I could receive the FOB, but was told I had to prepay for charging, first.

$2.50 per charge session, unlimited kWh per session, sold in increments of 4, 10, 20, and up, charge sessions.

BTW. I was also told that, free use, limited to one time, by phone call, is still available.

That's a rate that I can get behind. Do you have the number you called? I'd like to buy some charge sessions...

Holy crap, $2.50? So, I've physically put 24.85kWh in my car, so that would be about 10 cents per kWh. I know you guys have cheap hydro power up there, but there is NO room for anything else, like paying off the investment (unless it was a typical government handout), maintaining it, accounting, taxes , INSURANCE, employees, and there has to be demand fees up there too (just not as nutty as our's in San Diego).

Any car with a bigger battery (Coda, Tesla, etc) that can get a ChaDeMo connection will bankrupt it, even with free (taxpayer) money backing it.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Two important points missed here. First off, the most significant effect of a QC network is psychological. just simply knowing that you can theoretically drive continuously will be a re-leaf to quite a few folks and don't think there won't be a contest to see who is the first to make it from Canada to the Mexico border once it's possible. QC's from border to border on I-5 will be a big PR boon for EV's even if some of them are hardly ever used. The second major thing that is missed with the idea of an extensive network is the reality that in a few short years battery capacity will be rising. the next big jump may very well be double today's capacity, making longer trips possible and QC stops possible. I don't think the QC network should be built with just today's limits in mind but assuming that more and more over time, people will venture further and with bigger batteries. Surely, as the EV population grows, we will want QC stations even closer together, more like gas stations today, to spread out the demand.
Was out of town this weekend, so just getting to this. I haven't missed those points, I'm well aware of them. But I'm talking about the priority locations for QCs NOW; we will obviously need to provide them along I-5 once affordable range increases (to Tesla range). As to contests to see if people can drive Mexico-Canada or what-have-you, sure those will happen but they won't be practical for typical users (who don't have or don't wish to spend all that extra time enroute).

So, assuming there will be a limited pot of money available to install QCs initially, let's put them where they'll do the most good for the largest number of drivers. Taking the Leaf's capability as the base, I think we need spokes of QCs radiating out from the four major metropolitan areas to enable a driving radius with a single QC of say 115-125 miles (I assume a Leaf will go ~65 miles at freeway speeds on the first charge, plus a 10 mile reserve, and 50 miles freeway plus 10 mile reserve on each QC). This will cover almost all day trips. Two QCs should get people to maybe 165-175 miles from home, and would cover many weekend trips.

In a few years, hopefully there will be a BEV (that I can afford) that will allow me to do the trip I did in my ICE this weekend (but with no more than one QC each way enroute): with 3 people and luggage, Bay Area to San Simeon on Saturday via 880, 237, 101, 156 and 1, with numerous stops from Monterey south for picture taking. Sunday, local driving around San Simeon (the birthday 'girl' and her BFF toured Hearst Castle), then Morro Bay (Morro Rock) on Highway 1 and return via Hwy 41/101/237/880. Owing to intermittent rain both days I used heat/defroster, lights and wipers much of the time. At the moment, Monterey or maybe Big Sur is about as far as you could get on a single QC.

GRA said:
planet4ever said:
klapauzius said:
250 miles with QC should not take that long...realistically, one could expect to go ~ 50 miles on a 80% charge at freeway speeds? That means you need 4 QC s for the trip i.e. at 50, 100, 150 and 200 miles. Each takes 20 minutes, so 80 minutes penalty vs. ICE which can do the whole trip in one leg.
I don't believe you can get anywhere close to an 80% charge in 20 minutes. Given the maximum charging rate of 48kW you could theoretically get 16kWh in 20 minutes, and that is 80% of a (rather low) 20 kWh assumption for battery capacity, but I don't think anyone has reported holding that maximum charge rate for the entire time. Nissan says you can get a 63% charge (LBW to 80%) in approximately half an hour.

Ray
Agreed. Personally, the most I would be willing to do routinely would be one en-route QC (each way) for a day trip, two for a weekend trip, or _maybe_ three if it's somewhere I _really_ want to go. Ideally, I'd want to eliminate at least 1 en-route QC each way for each of them. But the Leaf's range is just too short for me to make many of my weekend trips to the mountains efficient and practical, given thousands of feet of climb, night driving and colder temps.

For example, going to Yosemite in a Leaf via S.R. 120 from my home in the Bay Area (0 mi.), I'd probably have to charge in Manteca (55 miles from home), Oakdale (75 mi. F.H., short charge) and Groveland (112 mi. F.H., 3,100 ft.), and might well need another charge at Crane Flat (150 mi. F.H., 6,200 ft.); certainly so if I were going to Tuolumne Meadows (8,600 ft.). The total distance is something like 170 and 190 miles respectively, and I could normally drive them in 3 and 3.5 hours (typically Friday evening). Trying to get to Lake Tahoe by Leaf would be similarly wasteful of time (it would be semi-reasonable for those in the Sacramento area).

In the 31kWh Coda I could probably make it to Oakdale non-stop (maybe with some care), Groveland and then non-stop to Yosemite Valley; going to Tuolumne will always require a stop at Crane Flat. To get to Groveland non-stop I'd probably require a (flat ground) freeway range of at least 150 miles, and 175 or more might be necessary.

So, long trips by current BEVs (other than Teslas) using QCs don't make any sense. Putting QCs along I-5 in Oregon is reasonable, making trips between adjacent or next adjacent metropolitan areas in the Willamette Valley reasonable. And putting them along the corridor between San Diego and L.A. is also reasonable, and (for Edatokrun) we can put them along I-5 up the Sacramento Valley. But in the San Joaquin Valley, given current BEV range (Tesla can take care of themselves) no one in their right mind will use a BEV for long north-south trips on I-5. Right now, the QCs in the San Joaquin Valley shouldn't be on I-5 except at junctions with major East-West routes (i.e. Santa Nella). They should be installed to facilitate trips between the Sacramento and S.F. metropolitan areas and the Sierra, i.e. along I-80, U.S. 50, S.R. 120/140 etc. If we want an electric highway in the San Joaquin Valley now it should be S.R. 99, not I-5, because that's where the cities/people are.
[/quote]

Herm said:
for a 250 mile trip:

start at 100% drive 55mph for 90 miles, 1.64 hours

charge for 30 minutes to 80%, drive 80 miles, 1.45 h + 0.30h

total 5.54 hours
That is assuming there is a QC about every 2 miles so you can go to the bottom of the battery.
And it assumes there is always a QC open and waiting for you.

smkettner said:
How about this for those in LA area.

"The vast park-and-ride project hinges on the untested idea that car-loving Californians will drive about 100 miles from the Los Angeles area, pull off busy Interstate 15 and board a train for the final leg to the famous Strip."

No QC needed to get to Vegas :cool:
Sounds pretty dumb. If you want to ride a train to Vegas, why drive the part with the worst traffic (getting in and out of the city), THEN get on a train?

davewill said:
smkettner said:
How about this for those in LA area.

"The vast park-and-ride project hinges on the untested idea that car-loving Californians will drive about 100 miles from the Los Angeles area, pull off busy Interstate 15 and board a train for the final leg to the famous Strip."

No QC needed to get to Vegas :cool:
Sounds pretty dumb. If you want to ride a train to Vegas, why drive the part with the worst traffic (getting in and out of the city), THEN get on a train?

Or, maybe it was dumb to build a megapolis of 15(?) million people, without planning for efficient rail access, in the future?

I assume the reason to leave out the first 100 miles, is the prohibitive cost of putting it in, now.

smkettner said:
Herm said:
for a 250 mile trip:
start at 100% drive 55mph for 90 miles, 1.64 hours
total 5.54 hours
That is assuming there is a QC about every 2 miles so you can go to the bottom of the battery.
And it assumes there is always a QC open and waiting for you.

Its my fantasy, a QC every 5 miles :)

GaslessInSeattle said:
I suggest that the title of this thread be changed to "Multiple DC Quick Charges May Result In A Hot Battery". I think it's a good thing to be aware of, but the way it's worded it makes it sound like multiple QC's will inevitably cause a hot battery, which is not the case from what I can tell. We know one thing from the data so far, QC'ing to a high SOC frequently with heavy climate control use and high speeds results in a hot battery... let's not jump to conclusions till we have more data!

+10! Tony likes to be over dramatic at times. And he's pretty stubborn. Your suggested title is MUCH better than what he changed it to. He likes to talk 'Facts', yet he makes a title (previous) that is blatantly false. Now, this thread has little meaning because 'this guy' went over six QCs and only 25 miles apart. That is way extreme with the way these QCs will be used and not even useful information. All it did was to scare some people into believing that FUD. The way he posts about QCs, seems like someone who doesn't either have a QC port or doesn't plan to use them when they are available.

LEAFfan said:
(Tony) seems like someone who doesn't either have a QC port or doesn't plan to use them when they are available.

Yep, that's me, the quick charge hater! Heck, I wouldn't pay more for a quick charge than the wholesale price of electricity anyway. You got it figured out!

You must have a crystal ball over there. I don't, so I can't imagine you'll say next.

edatoakrun said:
lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:
$2.50 per charge session, unlimited kWh per session, sold in increments of 4, 10, 20, and up, charge sessions.
I'd say that's very fair, compared to the $12.50 being bantered about go GoE3 and potentially eVgo (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8356) and hopefully it will set a precedent. I also figure that you'd usually get your money's worth out of that $2.50 on a distance trip. Maybe not so much on a local "need to top off" type trip, but even so it seems fair for the convenience factor.

Not too high a charge, IMO, but the poor efficiency that will result, of of not charging fees per kWh, could be problematic.

To get the lowest cost per kWh, BEV drivers will tend to top-off, even during summer peak grid demand, and even when they don't need the charge till the next day, when they could get their top-off at home, later that night.

And, someday, you may find yourself waiting, behind a cheapskate at the QC, slowly topping off to100% capacity.
Well, some may top off to 100% but I'm betting not many will be willing to spend an extra 40 minutes for 20% extra charge. Especially with the price being so low.

My time is worth way more than that.

Luft said:
Well, some may top off to 100% but I'm betting not many will be willing to spend an extra 40 minutes for 20% extra charge. Especially with the price being so low.

That generalization will probably not hold true, in all cases, such as:

When you need 20 kWh, not 16kWh, to get you to your final destination, would you rather just have a leisurely lunch and charge to 100% (and save $2.50) rather than make another QC stop, requiring close to the same amount of additional trip time? when you need 10 kWh, won't you ted to dawdle, to get the "free" last 6 kWh?

And of course, an additional factor in your decision, will be that your next potential QC charge stops, will also be less certain to be immediately available, and more likely to be in use, by other QC drivers being encouraged to "top-of charge" to 100%, by the same irrational fee structure.

If everyone gets into the habit of often charging to 100%, rather than to 80%, and 80%, rather than any lower %, as actually required for their trip, the charging efficiency (by time of waiting by individual BEV drivers) of the entire QC network will drop, by a large percentage.

edatoakrun said:
Luft said:

That generalization will probably not hold true, in all cases, such as:

When you need 20 kWh, not 16kWh, to get you to your final destination, would you rather just have a leisurely lunch and charge to 100% (and save $2.50) rather than make another QC stop, requiring close to the same amount of additional trip time? when you need 10 kWh, won't you ted to dawdle, to get the "free" last 6 kWh?

And of course, an additional factor in your decision, will be that your next potential QC charge stops, will also be less certain to be immediately available, and more likely to be in use, by other QC drivers being encouraged to "top-of charge" to 100%, by the same irrational fee structure.

If everyone gets into the habit of often charging to 100%, rather than to 80%, and 80%, rather than any lower %, as actually required for their trip, the charging efficiency (by time of waiting by individual BEV drivers) of the entire QC network will drop, by a large percentage.
I don't think that I put forth any more of a "generalisation" than you and didn't say anything about "all cases." In fact I stated that I agree with you that SOME may charge to 100%. However I do find it interesting that you feel that a $2.50 fee per charge is an "irrational fee structure" which would encourage topping off. I would think that it is much less likely that people with try to "get their monies worth" if the fee was reasonable than if it where high.

Do you feel that a $2.50 per charge fee would be a bad thing? I must not be understanding what you are saying.

Luft said:
...Do you feel that a $2.50 per charge fee would be a bad thing? I must not be understanding what you are saying.

Sorry if I was unclear. And sorry, in advance, for the long comment that follows.

I don’t think $2.50 is a bad thing, and in fact, may be too low to support the infrastructure costs, even for only 10 kWh of charge, and even when the system will be in constant demand, in the future.

The problem, IMO, is the flat fee structure, as well as the cumbersome prepayment method, not the $2.50.

There are many way to pay for a charge, and I’ll just list a few of the features I’d suggest are desirable.

Pay by any convenient method, which for unattended vending machines, like QCs, would probably limit payments to any debtor or credit card.

Membership fees, prepayments, tokens, fobs, and all other barriers to a fast, simple, and efficient transaction, serve no useful purpose, only delaying and adding costs, to the transaction.

The fee itself, should be determined by the volume of the fuel purchased. In the case of electricity, the number of kWh, metered at the QC, multiplied by the cost per kWh.

Again, this would encourage BEV drivers to purchase only the amount they need, to reach their cheaper, off-peak charge source, or their next “fastest-rate-of-charge“ QC en route, rather than slowly topping-off, and hoarding the “free kWh”, in excess of their needs, as a flat fee encourages.

Pay-per-kWh, would encourage BEV drivers to get the hell out of the way, after getting their required charge, and not continue hanging around, collecting a slow freebie, and delaying the next BEV driver, in the process.

Not surprisingly, this is pretty much the same model we use for gasoline sales.

A 2.50 flat fee for a charge, is not a good idea, for much the same reasons, a $50 flat fee for a tank of gas isn’t.

There is one significant factor, that is different for electricity vs. liquid fuel sales, and that is time required to fuel.

You need an effective queuing system for BEVs. Look at it this way. Even with only ten BEVs on the 250 miles of I-5, with ten chargers available, there is a fair chance of two BEVs desired charge time and locations coinciding. And the last thing you want, is to have BEV drivers stop each 25 miles to charge, just in case, their optimal range QC location turns out to have too a long line. Most gas stations have at least a half-dozen pumps nowadays, to avoid this problem. If the wires aren’t there to supply more than one QC at a time, there should at least, be multiple charge cables (yes, I know they cost a fortune) so that as one BEV charge is completed, or the charge rate tapers, as it nears full charge, the next BEV in the queue could begin to charge.

Even this, of course, does not fix the 85 kWh BEV (Tesla) problem, for the BEV driver who gets stuck behind him.

So, while you should never, never, put a L2 right next to a QC, which a DC incapable BEV/PHEV might use, by parking in the QC charge space (the QC charge space is NOT to be confused with a parking space, where you also charge, like for an L2) there should be a few L2s nearby, with lower charge fees per kWh, encouraging any J1772 car, even a QC BEV, to use them preferentially when convenient, so as to not unnecessarily fill the QC charge space, and to also offer minimal relief, if the QC has a long line, or is out of order.

leaf_temp_gauge.png

i personally think that a $2.50 per charge fee structure is very reasonable, but guessing to get that price you will need to buy a bundle of them making it essentially a non time based subscription which as long as we are given ample time to use the charges would be very acceptable to me.

as far as people "wanting" to get their money's worth. there will always be that no matter what. i work in a customer facing job and some people dont care about paying $20 for a service, others bitch about the dollar in taxes for the service. so, ya you will run into people who wont stop until they have 100% but that will be rare as long as the price is reasonable.

edatoakrun said:
Sorry if I was unclear. And sorry, in advance, for the long comment that follows.

I don’t think $2.50 is a bad thing, and in fact, may be too low to support the infrastructure costs, even for only 10 kWh of charge, and even when the system will be in constant demand, in the future.

The problem, IMO, is the flat fee structure, as well as the cumbersome prepayment method, not the $2.50.

There are many way to pay for a charge, and I’ll just list a few of the features I’d suggest are desirable.

Pay by any convenient method, which for unattended vending machines, like QCs, would probably limit payments to any debtor or credit card.

Membership fees, prepayments, tokens, fobs, and all other barriers to a fast, simple, and efficient transaction, serve no useful purpose, only delaying and adding costs, to the transaction.

The fee itself, should be determined by the volume of the fuel purchased. In the case of electricity, the number of kWh, metered at the QC, multiplied by the cost per kWh.

Again, this would encourage BEV drivers to purchase only the amount they need, to reach their cheaper, off-peak charge source, or their next “fastest-rate-of-charge“ QC en route, rather than slowly topping-off, and hoarding the “free kWh”, in excess of their needs, as a flat fee encourages.
I wouldn't have a problem with the cost of a charging session being based on the amount of electricity that I consume. I'm guessing that there are laws that are getting in the way. I believe that only the power companies are allowed to sell electricity. The flat fee may be an attempt to implement a uniform plan that won't go afoul of the law across all states.

The price of $2.50 per session seems to be a good pricing point to me. It will allow the EVs to travel across the country for less than the price of gas for a person driving a Prius. This will be a good selling point for EVs in general.

I do think you are overly concerned that people will spend the extra time to top up to 100%. As I understand it to get the last 20% a person would have to wait around for another 40 minutes. We're talking about hanging around for almost an extra hour to get the last 50 cents worth of charge. Heck, if I see someone doing that when I need a charge I'll offer them four bits to leave and let me use the station! :)

HighDesertDriver said:
Thanks for posting even these four videos. The surprise for me was that the Oregon "Electric Highway" QC facilities have been placed in such varied and obscure locations.
I believe it was a combination of legal limitations on what can be at rest stops (which would have been my first choice) plus there's nothing to do while charging at a rest stop (which is why I changed my mind). It's basically come down to who's willing to allow them in and where's the power available. For the EV Project, I understand they don't cover the whole cost of installation either - the site has to pick up some of it, which is probably a significant factor in why they're rolling out so slow.

Luft said:
The price of $2.50 per session seems to be a good pricing point to me. It will allow the EVs to travel across the country for less than the price of gas for a person driving a Prius. This will be a good selling point for EVs in general.

That price point is only possible with free flowing government cash. And lots of it.

TonyWilliams said:
Holy crap, $2.50? So, I've physically put 24.85kWh in my car, so that would be about 10 cents per kWh. I know you guys have cheap hydro power up there, but there is NO room for anything else, like paying off the investment (unless it was a typical government handout), maintaining it, accounting, taxes , INSURANCE, employees, and there has to be demand fees up there too (just not as nutty as our's in San Diego).
In fact, the AV stations are going in with federal money - these first few from stimulus money, the rest from DOT money, though it might be stimulus related, which makes the $2.50 viable. A full tank fill up is going to be *very* rare. Even when I push the range to go to Portland in a single bound, the 80ish% fillup is about 15kWh. I expect the non-subsidized prices to be double that (as I discussed at the end of the trip report, though that was added a few days after the fact).

As for encouraging topping off - that would double the length of the stop as well as being hard on the batteries. Pennywise and pound foolish, and for not very many pennies gained. You'd probably be better off all the way around moving over to the L2 charger for the top off (which I've done a couple times when I had something to do before moving on).

I don't see any discussion of prices on the AV website; you can still fill out a form there to get the fob from the looks of things. It'll be interesting to see when they tell me to put some money on mine...

Back