Monthly Electricity Cost/MPG Equivalent

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaslessInSeattle said:
.................................................................................................. lifetime in gas savings. At first I was worried about the battery replacement cost, but now that there are folks putting near 50K on this car without seeing any battery degradation, I'm optimistic that the battery will easily hit the 150 K mark before needing replacement....................... Looks like we might have a winner after all..................!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are there people in the forum that have nearly 50k on their LEAF already??

I talk to people interested in the LEAF, trying to convince them how efficient the car really is and how the limited range isn't an issue for commuting and daily use. I sight our over 16,000 miles in a year and how we love the LEAF, with its efficiency, low (almost no) maintenance (other that tire rotation), vacuuming, and car washes.

Unfortunately, media FUD has influenced their perceptions and they aren't quite ready to jump in and buy an EV.

You guys want to talk about media FUD.. Try driving a VOLT everyday. If at least one person does not ask me during my day if I fear for my life while driving it that it will spontaneously erupt in flames my day is not complete anymore. :lol: The only upside is that vehicles never follow to close behind me, and they stop usually far off my bumper.. That is about the ONLY good thing to come out of it though. Can go on forever about the damage the media has done. Especially to the Volt. It will be good to get my Leaf as most people do not even know what they are in my area.

This month I drove 1500 miles, at an equivalent of 120 miles per gallon based on the formula at the start of this post. I expect that number to get much better as we escape ATL winter (dense air/wet roads/energy-sucking heater), because I'm typically only seeing 3.5miles/kwh at 70-75mph on my 50mile commute. That'll be 4.0 as spring/summer arrive, pushing me toward 140mpg equivalent in a hurry. Oh, and if gas prices continue to rise, might see 200mpg-e this summer!!

My long term average is = 253 mpg. But I drive on level terrain, ECO mode exclusively, never need the heater, never on the highway and like an old lady.

Calculate what that electricity costs compared to the cost of gas at $4+ per gallon in the "average" car and people will start listening to us.

I don't know what the motoring public thinks is acceptable combined city/hwy mpg (because my other car is a hybrid), but if you use the figure 25 mpg and 1,200 miles per month, that would be 48 gallons. At $4, the gas cost alone would be $192, plus oil changes and tune ups. Subtract what the electricity costs (for me $27 using this mileage and my average m/kWh of 5.2), and $165 per month savings (nearly two grand a year) is worth bragging about.

I'm running at 4¢/mile, wall to wheels >> I have a DaveinOlyWA meter setup for my 240 Volt, 16 Amp, EVSE Upgrade unit:
evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

My cost per mile is higher than what others have been reporting because electricity is fairly expensive here—13¢/kWh—and my driving environment is much more challenging than most.

N1ghtrider said:
dgpcolorado said:
I'm running at 4¢/mile, wall to wheels
That's $49 per month for 1,200 miles, compared to $192 for an ICE at 25 mpg. You are saving $1,728 annually, not counting oil change and tuneup savings. Great work! :D
I don't usually drive that much—600 miles/month is typical—but the 25 mpg comparison is pretty close to what I get in my Jeep Cherokee on average, so the savings are pretty significant. And due to get more so if gasoline prices keep rising.

the 25 mpg comparison is pretty close to what I get in my Jeep Cherokee on average

That sounds more like the MAXIMUM gas mileage of a Jeep Cherokee. From http://www.fueleconomy.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (for 2001 cherokee):
14 mpg city, 18 mpg highway.

ml194152 said:
the 25 mpg comparison is pretty close to what I get in my Jeep Cherokee on average

That sounds more like the MAXIMUM gas mileage of a Jeep Cherokee. From http://www.fueleconomy.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (for 2001 cherokee):
14 mpg city, 18 mpg highway.
Those numbers are likely for "stomp-and-steer" automatic transmission cars.

Two things: I have a very rare '96 Cherokee with standard transmission and I live at high altitude, where all cars get better mileage, for obvious reasons.

I got 23-25 mpg on a 2300 mile trip to Oregon in December (cold weather, some snow and ice, cruise set at 65 most of the way on dry pavement) and I've done 28 mpg in both directions across the mountains to Boulder (~330 miles each way). I routinely get 23 mpg locally unless in 4WD in snow or on serious Jeep roads (which are in abundance around here). I've never had a car where I haven't beat the EPA numbers by a substantial margin. Part of it is where I live and part is being an easy-does-it driver with 400K miles of driving experience in manual transmission cars.

DesertDenizen said:
My long term average is = 253 mpg. But I drive on level terrain, ECO mode exclusively, never need the heater, never on the highway and like an old lady.

I think we need to start banning Arizona folks from these discussions! :D

For me it would be 135mpg equivelant on my 3 day journey with the Leaf. $0.03 wall to wheel average getting between 3.81-4.01mi/kwh.

For the Volt I am sitting at $0.03/mi wall to wheels as well with a MPG equivelant of 119mpg. My 20 gas miles for the month kind of killed that number sadly. EV only I am at 127mpg, and in gas my average is a real 27mpg. Total cost is $27.36 over 841.4 miles for February.

Over 2000kwh usage in a month! Geez! I thought my 1200 was high, and was really debating the having 2 electric cars. I don't feel so bad now though. :lol: We try to keep our usage for the house @ or below 1000, and the usage for the Volt around 200-300. Guess depending on where you live though you need the A/C.

I never trust what the car computer says. I measure miles driven and gallons used to refill the tank and I'm always a few mpg's less than what my Prius computer reported.

For the LEAF I've got a dedicated meter in my garage and I keep records for mileage and the meter reading monthly. I installed the meter 30days ago and it reads 252kWh, I charged a few times at work for another 27kWh and drove the car 897mi. over that period. So my wall-to-wheels is 897/279 = 3.21 mi/kWh, not so great considering the car says 3.8mi/kWh, but I was over 4.2 when it was warmer so that should improve.

To drive my Prius that far would use 19gal (897/47) so I still save a bunch of money $66(19gal*$3.50/gal) vs $31(279kWh*$0.11/kWh). Tack on two oil changes and that's only $500 per year savings over the Prius, but the Prius probably has the lowest cost of driving you can find. There is some savings from the lease payment and while that was significantly offset by the higher insurance cost, it is still measurable but I don't get the car in three years, so I am calling that a wash.

Our power here is about 11 cents/kWh. I tell people driving the LEAF is like getting gas for 66 cents a gallon.

Roadburner, re the Volt preconceptions about fire, is that how you arrived at your screen name? :lol: Nonetheless according to my backl-of-the-envelope calculations a gas car is 10 times more likely to go up in flames than a Volt. Admittedly that is based on statistics that likely include a bunch of old poorly maintained POS cars, but there's no need to examine the evidence too deeply, the naysayers certainly don't.

N1ghtrider said:
Roadburner440 said:
Over 2000kwh usage in a month! Geez!

That 2,615 is low kWh usage for me due to the cool weather this winter. We top 3,000 per month in the summer months :cry: due to running central air all day.

And I was fretting over the 600KwH month I just had - way up from my nominal.

I figure I've got to get about a quarter in before I have a chance of a decent average per-day impact of the LEAF. I've been taking a typical day (dashboard) mile/kwH dividing by the miles of the day, adding ~10% for charger loss, then calculating a "day's driving cost" from that.

No my screen name actually comes from me growing up in a Mopar (Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth) household. It was always my dream to own a 440 V-8 or Hemi powered car. I actually achieved this dream I have had since I was a child in 2007 when we purchased our brand new Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Hemi. It was a blast to drive, but sometimes dreams are best left at that.. 2008 when gas prices shot through the roof it was a miserable time. Ironically when we traded it for the Prius it was the happiest day of my life. It was fun while it lasted. We go on far more vacations now, and anytime we just want to go drive somewhere to check it out or just for the heck of it we do now.. With the Volt it has gotten even worse, and I am sure with the Leaf well you know... Back in the 90's when I was a kid I remember looking at people that had the EV1's, and Rav4EV's and thinking how gutless those vehicles must have been, and how boring their lives were not driving a V-8. I have more fun driving my Volt I think than any car in my entire past. The Leaf does not have the same thrill if you will, but it is still very responsive, and handles decently well. My wife loves it, and that is really the ultimate test. She does not like the Volt as the steering is to "tight," it is to low to the ground, and she finds it to have to much take off for her liking. She really enjoyed the Leaf, so that will be her car.

I see you guys all the time saying how the Leaf's energy meters are wrong.. I know the mi/kwh is the cars batt to wheels reading. Not wall to wheels. The Volt gives you NONE of this information. You just get a total kwh consumed, and EV miles. The Volt's readings are actually extremely accurate. When I was metering the car it would be maybe 0.1kwh off. If the Leaf's systems are off calibration then I may need to figure another way of reading its electric consumption. I track that stuff through excel spread sheets that I use for my own purposes, and to show people the true cost of driving an EV. Having inaccurate data skew this would be bad.

I'm enjoying 124mpg-e this winter in ATL, and that is at 70-75mph on the highway for 50 miles/day plus generally 10 miles/day at 40mph locally. I'm never in ECO mode, and have used the heating as needed. Looking forward to improvements once the heavy winter air is thinned, and once I swap the energy-hog heater for the way-more-efficient AC. And if gas prices continue to rocket, the mpg-e is going to get stupid-high in the summer. Oh, all my calcs are based on Carwings data, and I assume 87% efficiency from meter to vehicle (based on some post I read here a long time ago). Hopefully that 87% factor makes my Carwings info close enough to reality.

sorry, cant do this "equate fumes to charge" comparison. not good enough to me especially when its jumped 30 mpg in the past 3 days WHILE THE CAR WAS PARKED.

so will stay with the pennies per mile thing. but if you insist; i got an equivalent of 84 mpg in my Leaf using 2003 gas prices

Got my first utility bill after having the car now for a month and guess what, I LOVE THIS CAR. I don't have time of use rates but my bill last month was $125.00 and this month's bill is $123.00. That is with charging 2 weeks with 120 EVSE and the last 2 weeks with 220 EVSE upgrade. I typically charge every 2-3 days to 100%.

My dad was so surprised that he is considering trading his paid off 2005 Lexus RX for a Leaf. He is 84 and they mostly do gas, bank, grocery drives.

Ian. B

Back