Level III charging a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lifetime of driving ICE cars has brainwashed us on the subjects of "fill-up" and "top-off".

I doubt I'd ever want to charge over 80% while on the road, at whatever charge method.

Why would you, when it's slower, and probably more expensive and increases battery wear?

Every day I will wake up to a "full tank" (unless I decide not to purchase a home EVSE) from the cheapest and most convenient fuel source.

On longer drives, I will only charge enough to get me home, or to my alternate overnight charge destination.

On longer drives, I would (hope and) expect to L3/DC charge to 80% or less, in about 15-20 minutes (depending on the state of charge when I begin) as convenient.

That will be the best charging plan to make a several-hundred mile trip, IMO. Longer drive than that, you probably want to rent or fly-until BEV range improves.

smkettner said:
garygid said:
Perhaps even slower yet as it approaches 100%.
It will be helpful to see some real data for the 70% through 100% QC.
If L2 is just as fast for the top off you may as well switch power cords and let the next in line use the L3
I highly doubt that the charge rate will ever drop below what it would be charged on a L2 connection. It's very likely that the onboard BMS uses the same charge algorithm regardless of it's maximum power capability.

If you've seen some of the power draw charts thanks to those who have TEDs hooked up to their EVSEs, you'll see that even on L2 the power starts tapering off as the battery gets full.

linkim said:
Does anyone know if the battery is air cooled with the fan during QC? I can imagine that after a long drive in AZ or other hot regions, the battery pack will be quite warm. In this situation, is there a temperature at which the battery cannot be QCed? My 2002 Prius battery cannot be charged (regen or ICE) if it gets too hot.
Per the service manual, the battery compartment is sealed and pressurized (very low pressure though). I don't know off hand what the pack temperature limit is before it won't accept charging...

AndyH posted page VC-97 of the Service Manual, where it days that QC will not be performed if the battery temperature meter is in the too hot (red) zone, OR in the too cold (blue) zone.

Posted elsewhere were the corresponding temperature ranges of each "bar".

JimK said:
Now for a practical question; if someone made an adapter to go from the J1772 level 2 EVSE to the Leaf’s DC charge port how much would people pay for it?

Using a boost mode converter you should be able to get at least 6600 watts into the DC charging port. I have enough information about the level 2 EVSE protocol; I just need to get info on the CHAdeMO CAN buss commands to access how difficult it would be to design an adapter or a level 3 charger. Note: the AeroVironment EVSE-RS limits the current to 30 amps (7200 watts @ 240v) although the 40a service required could supply 32amps by code.

If it is small enough, $1000-1500.

If you can make it a 2 way unit, charge the car or power the house, $2500.

I got my Leaf a few days ago and it would be great to have something like this.

Back