LEAF to get 6.6kW charger in 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw an interesting statistic in the latest issue of Popular Science. They went back and looked at the first year the Prius was on the market which they listed as 2000. It sold 5,562. The Volt in its first year (2011) sold 7,671. The LEAF in its first real year (2011) sold 9,674. Thus, a lot of naysayers ought to remember that new concepts take time and the LEAF is doing very well. It has outsold the Prius by 74%!

ERG4ALL said:
I saw an interesting statistic in the latest issue of Popular Science. They went back and looked at the first year the Prius was on the market which they listed as 2000. It sold 5,562. The Volt in its first year (2011) sold 7,671. The LEAF in its first real year (2011) sold 9,674. Thus, a lot of naysayers ought to remember that new concepts take time and the LEAF is doing very well. It has outsold the Prius by 74%!
The first 'year' of Prius sales in the U.S. was August-December 2000, so you shouldn't use that, any more than you should judge Leaf/Volt 'first-year sales' by only December 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius#Sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FairwoodRed said:
Engineer has a prototype that he built and brought to a Bay Area Leafers meeting. I got to see the Nissan Engineers gawking at it :0
Did anyone take a photo or video of the Nissan engineers' reaction? That has got to be priceless :)

Some current speculation/info on 6.6kW charger upgrade: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075283_want-to-upgrade-your-leaf-charger-to-6-6-kw-it-might-not-happen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeD said:
Some current speculation/info on 6.6kW charger upgrade: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075283_want-to-upgrade-your-leaf-charger-to-6-6-kw-it-might-not-happen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's ok. I'm perfectly satisfied with the 3.3 Kw charger in my 2011 Leaf. However, I can certainly see where some people could benefit from the upgrade. I guess in my situation the only place I really have access to an L2 EVSE is in my own garage. I would think the biggest benefit of the upgraded charger would be for charging away from home. On the rare occasion I charge away from home, I'm typically using L1 anyway. I've used a public charging station twice in the last year. Then again, that is probably because there are so few of them around the area.

There have been some occasions where we were out in the Leaf in the morning and early afternoon, came home, and then were going out again in the early evening or late afternoon. With the 3.3Kw charger, there was simply not enough time to charge up the Leaf sufficiently at home for the next outing and thus we took the ICE. With a 6.6 Kw charger, there would have been plenty of time...

adric22 said:
I'm perfectly satisfied with the 3.3 Kw charger in my 2011 Leaf. However, I can certainly see where some people could benefit from the upgrade. I guess in my situation the only place I really have access to an L2 EVSE is in my own garage.

TomT said:
.....With a 6.6 Kw charger, there would have been plenty of time...

For me a Quick Charging station within 10 miles would be even better then the 6.6 kW charger. (edit: That is up and running)

I do a lot of range extension in the UK charging at 32A while away from home. In the Tesla a morning or afternoon charge while undertaking some activity has a serious impact on the practicality of the car. I'm sure this will be true for the 2013 Leaf.

While it would a be nice upgrade it wouldn't make Leaf any more usable to me. I've only needed it on a few occasions to charge it to full again, but then I only have 1 hour and that's not going to be enough even at twice the speed.

No argument there but after 14 months of ownership, I'm still waiting for one... I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nissan really screwed up by not requiring U.S. dealers to have one like they do in the EU.

camasleaf said:
TomT said:
.....With a 6.6 Kw charger, there would have been plenty of time...
For me a Quick Charging station within 10 miles would be even better then the 6.6 kW charger. (edit: That is up and running)

Would it not make more sense to locate all chargers up front starting in 2013? I always thought the charger's location behind the back seat practically screamed TEMPORARY! especially since this also probably allows freeing up the space used by the hump.

It would have made the most sense to incorporate the charger in the inverter ala AC Propulsion, but apparently they didn't want to license the patent...

MikeD said:
Would it not make more sense to locate all chargers up front starting in 2013? I always thought the charger's location behind the back seat practically screamed TEMPORARY! especially since this also probably allows freeing up the space used by the hump.

TomT said:
I hope he just choose his words poorly since, if this is true, I believe it will be a serious mistake.
Agreed. He probably doesn't want to give too much away. If they have it as an "option", probably 90% of people will opt for it, meaning more parts to stock and more complexity to support both chargers.

camasleaf said:
It's comparing apples to oranges. Time spent at the QC is wasted, while time spent at home is useful. I'd rather get things done around the house while getting a charge instead of having to leave an extra half hour or so early...and that doesn't include the very real possibility that I might have to wait for someone in front of me to finish. A 6.6kW charger would also make opportunity L2 charges much more useful.

However, I do agree that we might as well concentrate on QCs since we aren't likely to ever see an upgrade.

TomT said:
I hope he just choose his words poorly since, if this is true, I believe it will be a serious mistake.

KeiJidosha said:
So the word from Mark Perry on the 6.6kW charger for 2013 appears to be "Option".

Why ? I think it is ok to be an option. I can see it being offered only in SL and not on SV (just like QC). I think it makes perfect sense to even de-content current SV if that means a lower introductory price.

Back