Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
not sure I can call this a bug or not but it is something I had not seen before.

But this morning, I started out with Hx of 103.83 which is a number that has been static a few days now but does change regularly almost every day but generally only once a day or so. but earlier this afternoon, i happened to glance at LEAF Spy and now I am up to

104.87%20Hx%20reduced.jpg

which seemed strange to me since my ahr had not changed and normally they seem to move up and down together.

so a few minutes later I look again and this

105.03%20Hx%20reduced.jpg

so I snapped this pix just before turning it off when I got home

105.06%20Hx%20reduced.jpg

has anyone seen this before? keeping in mind, LEAF Spy had been running uninterrupted this entire time
Not a bug. The Hx value is just read from the Leaf. What is displayed is what was read.

We don't really understand what it means so don't know what makes it change.

Berlino said:
Turbo3 said:
Berlino said:
The graph of negative temperatures works down to about -3°C, but not if it's any colder.
Can you post a screenshot of the problem?

Yes, here are examples on both sides of -3°C:

UdaRVdE.jpg
YM4XjJJ.jpg
Thanks. That helps.

I can reproduce the problem and it looks like a bug in the graphing routine I picked up. Probably caused by zero not being on screen.

Turbo3 said:
I can reproduce the problem and it looks like a bug in the graphing routine I picked up. Probably caused by zero not being on screen.

I just came back from a ride and temps of -3.2°C displayed correctly, with the end points of the graph being -4°C and +1°C. Then the temps dropped to -4.1°C and there was just a solid blue screen. You could just barely make out the points being 0° and -5°.

Yes there is definitely a bug in the graphing routine with handling negative numbers. But since it is not my code it will take me a while to decode how it works and where the bug is.

If there are any Basic4Android coders out there you are welcome to lend a handle to find the problem in the Charts.bas routine. It is used in many of the B4A charting examples from the B4A site.

Turbo3 said:
I will change the scale to fix that problem in the next release.
Do you know why you have such a large variation in cell temperatures?

Thanks! JeremyW was correct. I was doing QC at Vacaville, CA and the temp raised to high 70F. After 20 miles of 60~65MPH highway driving, I QC again at Davis, CA in order to get home and that causes the temp diff raised above 10F. The highway driving did not raise the temp, but did cool down few degree lower. It's cold winter now and the battery cools down overnight fast. The battery would be at LBW when I get home, so I think that should be somewhat ok for the battery. On the other note, I actually see the AH/Hx both gone up a little. The AH raised from 58.3 to 58.8 now and wonder if those QCs did something to this ...

I have found the issue with the Charts routine that caused a problem when displaying large (>=10) negative temperatures.

Here are some screenshots with the fix applied. Also added a thick zero line and auto scaling for up to a 30 degree difference between high and low temps. Fix will be in next release of each version of Leaf Spy.

ex3p.png
t8sp.png

On settings lost it seems I lost it between 1 beta update and kept it with other 2...
The only difference was that I launched the app right after update away from leaf when I lost the settings, then when connecting to leaf it asked about chosing new bluetooth connection and after that all settings were lost.
I did not change anything else (SD card/uninstall/whatever)

Turbo3 said:
UkrainianKozak said:
More feedback on brake screen/latest beta.
After updating to the latest stability improved for brake screen, I can now routinely drive with it enabled.

1. All custom settings are reverted to defaults after updating.
2. The status line feels unequal for accelerating/braking: when braking you see the spread between regen and wasted energy, but when accelerating or decelerating without pressing on brakes regen is not shown. It would be cool if regen would be part of the status so you can tune your coasting to as close to 0 as possible (no regen and no accel)
3. Need to come up with some reasonable graphing, currently I don't see a value in the main graph when you are stopped in traffic, you get basically brake pedal position, so with 0 speed you see some graph of basically how hard you are pressing on brakes while you stopped, and in heavy stop- and-go traffic you mostly see varying red area that you get at 0 speed. My gut feeling is adding speed to the graph as some kind of conditional parameter will provide more usable data, so at least when you stopped you should get constant line.
Thanks for your feedback.

1. Your custom settings should not have changed. The app looks for the setup file and if it finds it it is loaded. Any chance you uninstalled the previous version then installed the new one. I will need to do some testing to see if I can reproduce the problem. But the code is really only two lines (test file exists if yes load file) and has not changed. So has everyone had this problem with past versions?

If you changed the install location say from internal memory to SD card that might cause the problem if the previous version was installed to internal memory and you switched to saving the new version to SD card (Play Store option if I remember correctly). When installed in the new location there would be no setup file on the SD card. One should use the move option in android app settings to first move the old app which will move the app plus any data files.

2. The brake screen status is only for brake pedal braking. It has nothing to do with acceleration or deceleration by the motor if the brake pedal is not active. For that you would look at the Motor KW graph. What is shown is the blend between friction braking and motor braking when the brake pedal is being pressed.

3. My latest version stops graphing if no regen is present and only major brake pressure is detected for more than 1/2 second which would mean the car has stopped moving. The result is mostly green/red graphs with only small sections of only red and no graphing while stopped (if brake is pressed with moderate pressure).

with the new dongle,my spy pro works,........but.........

if i use the brake screen,all other parameters freeze,odo,soc,temp,eveything .
it needs to start the app without braking screen,to make it work again

My AHr and Hx readings changed everyday from August to October, then remained static for most of November. During the first week of December they once again moved everyday, but since then have not changed.

May someone remind me how to reset those readings to make sure they're refreshed?

xado1 said:
with the new dongle,my spy pro works,........but.........

if i use the brake screen,all other parameters freeze,odo,soc,temp,eveything .
it needs to start the app without braking screen,to make it work again
As I have said before, while on the Brake/Motor screen the ELM is placed into listen mode and no other data can be read from the Leaf. When you switch off the Brake/Motor screen it will take about 10 seconds to switch out of listen and read a fresh set of values from the Leaf. This of course assumes the ELM has not locked up.

In listen mode you will see a status of "Connected 167" where 167 is the listen state and when reading from the Leaf the state number will cycle from state 16 to 67. If you have checked the "Hide Connect Sts" in Settings/Screen you will not see the state number.

If you start the app in brake mode just select another screen while the app waits for the connection to be made. If you start the app and it immediately says state 167 then the ELM is hung and needs to be unplugged/replugged.

Berlino said:
My AHr and Hx readings changed everyday from August to October, then remained static for most of November. During the first week of November they once again moved everyday, but since then have not changed.

May someone remind me how to reset those readings to make sure they're refreshed?

mine did the same thing. its either a major bug in the updated software or simply cooler temps really really stabilizes the pack. guessing its the latter since my ahr/Hx do change every once in a while. it has just gone from 1-2 times a day (in Summer) to maybe once a week

DaveinOlyWA said:
Berlino said:
My AHr and Hx readings changed everyday from August to October, then remained static for most of November. During the first week of November they once again moved everyday, but since then have not changed.

mine did the same thing. its either a major bug in the updated software or simply cooler temps really really stabilizes the pack. guessing its the latter since my ahr/Hx do change every once in a while. it has just gone from 1-2 times a day (in Summer) to maybe once a week

Mine still changes on a daily basis, but not nearly as much as it does in the summer. I think the colder temps slow down the differences in the readings.

vrwl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Berlino said:

Mine still changes on a daily basis, but not nearly as much as it does in the summer. I think the colder temps slow down the differences in the readings.

Vicki; don't know what kind of weather you normally get and do have relatives near Dallas who had some pretty cold weather a few weeks back but my batt temps have been in the 40's pretty much all the time. as far as the occasional time the ahr/Hx has changed in the past 5-6 weeks? only right after a fast charge that gets batt temps at least to the upper 50's

Turbo3 said:
Not a bug. The Hx value is just read from the Leaf. What is displayed is what was read.

We don't really understand what it means so don't know what makes it change.

Has anyone noticed at what Hx value the Ah Capacity drops from it's max 67.3620Ah value?
I had a 2013 loaner for a while last year and I saw the Hx drop from about 111% to 105% over several weeks of driving (warm summer driving at that..) but the Capacity stayed pegged at 67.3620.
Also some have reported 2013s with capacities in the 59-60Ah range wile others (as noted) are pegged at 67.3620 and charge to 284 Gids.. Is there a thread tracking this?

Berlino said:
GregH said:
others (as noted) are pegged at 67.3620 and charge to 284 Gids

I charge to 284 Gids now with AHr 66.05, which makes me think some people with 67.x approach 290 Gids.
Could be.. but I watched the 2013 rental finish charge a few times and it pegged at 284 and stuck there.. I think there was a max on the SOC as well.
Has anyone ever seen more than 284 Gids on a 2013?

vrwl said:

My AH actually dropped during fall/winter as I lost my first bar in Dec.

Back