Leaf sometime not Charging at home, AV EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graffi

For the last two weeks when we get home and plug the Leaf into our 2 year old AV EVSE it will have the three lights that it is connected, but will not start charging. When unplugging and plugging in again it will start. Sometime once, or even 6 or 7 times before it will start. A few days ago I took it into the dealer and they found a service bulletin on it and followed the steps, just a software update. They also had a brake recall software update that was done. They kept it overnight to check charging and all was well.

When I brought it home all was well. The next day I had to plug it in twice to charge. Last night I tried many times but no charging, so I use the phone app to start charging and it worked.

Does anyone had an idea what the problem is? Could it be our AeorVironment EVSE:

http://store.evsolutions.com/av-home-ev-charging-stations-c13.aspx

or the Leaf? Oh, and I did get the warning light that there was something wrong with the Battery system. The dealer was able to read the code and then follow the instructions. However, we still have the issue.

The three lights referred to are the lights on the EVSE that shows the unit working and connected to the Leaf. These are the lights that are on when the charge is complete but still connected.

When it is plugged in and does not charge none of the blue dash lights are on.

The warning light referred to is the one that indicates "EV System Warning Light." Page 2-16 of the Owners manual directs us to "Contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer."

Tonight after I pulled it into the garage it started charging as soon as it was plugged in. Tomorrow? Who knows.

I assume the trouble light on the EVSE is not on.

When you first plug in, do you hear a beep or a relay clunk? If not and with no lights showing on the car's dash, means the car does not recognize it is plugged in.

Most likely you have a broken pilot line that sometimes conducts and sometimes doesn't. The break is probably at a point in the cable that gets the most strain or flexing. There is another thread on this forum discussing this.
You can check the continuity between the pilot pin in the plug and its termination in the EVSE. If that is the cause, the cable and plug can be replaced. Alternatively, if the break is in the plug, you may be able to repair the wire at that point.

Back