EVConnect not funny anymore at -15C

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerther

I know this has been said over and over but I can't comprehend how people could be happily coping with this app. At best it works 3 times out of 4 and it's annoying but like most of us, I find it manageable. But recently we've had 5 days of -15C weather here and I haven't been able to remotely start AC. Not once. It's failure every time. Maybe Nissan will eventually fix this, but then maybe not! Who knows! I wish I could just buy a remote starter like on any ICE car and just be done with it but nope! If the app does not work, then it's nothing, like it's 1985.

This isn't funny anymore.

AFAIK, the ONLY tiny thin ray of light on this situation is OVMS, but there is no support for 2018+ models and development for them has all but stalled. If there was a crowdfunding for this, man I'd be SOOOO in.

Now I'm certainly not alone in cold climate with a LEAF. How are you dealing with that? You go out in slippers every morning to manually start the car before you've had coffee, making sure it's charging so it'll heat? (because yeah, fully-charged/not-charging and plugged = fan only, no heat) Or do you ask the app to start the AC and pray? Or you all have heated garages? Really, how do you all deal with this?

P.-S.: I'm not telling about that time last week at work where I couldn't get the SoC from the app for the whole day, only to find at the end of the day that the charge had failed early. I had to find a QC (slow as hell at -15C) so I could get home, and then trash all my plans for the evening.

1705931319741.png

The app frequently tells you the wrong info regarding climate and charging.

I validate the EVSE activity using an energy monitor on my home's electrical service panel.

I use the buttons in the Nissan app until I see the monitor report the usage I'm expecting.

If the Nissan app fails to connect, there is no choice other than manually activate switches at the car.

Attachments

• chrome_20240122095626.png
    chrome_20240122095626.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
@cornbinder89 Interesting. The timers are a bit annoying to manage (buried into a menu, no "one-time" option), but still, that's one step forward for trips I can plan ahead.

@Chad The app's been down for 5 days here. So that'd be the "out in slippers at -15C before coffee" option for you then? ;)

It would be, but the app is turning on my charge and climate despite reporting that it did NOT.

I'm running the app under Android 11, and I never "exit" the app, I leave it running in the background. I connect my phone at home via wifi, but I get similar results on cellular.

Yeah that happens to me as well, more often than not. It's a lottery, more or less. Very frustrating.

Here this time the app itself is not to blame: all attempts I made using Nissan's owner portal in the last 5 days have failed as well. I'm really tired of wasting time on this mess and I'll ditch it first occasion.

I can register an account on the US portal with a fake US address, but I cannot (well, don't want to) add my vehicle since I need to send a proof of ownership, at which point they'll most likely see I entered a fake address.

My test of the Canada portal suggests that the portal is working, but you may be having issues with your specific account.

I have called the Nissan help line in the past and got support from a live human. Got the number from the app.

I'm just speaking from memory here as my wife drives our (2014) Leaf SV much more than I do and I've only played with the timers once or twice, but I think if you set up timers in the menu you can override them with one of the buttons by your left knee. So, if you need the timers the majority of the time you set them up and you're good. When you need to charge or heat or whatever immediately, you use the hard button to do that. But, as always, check the manual or someone with direct knowledge.

Yeah timers are generally a good feature but my trips are mostly not planned.
When you need to charge or heat or whatever immediately, you use the hard button to do that.
So that'd be the "out in slippers at -15C before coffee" option for you too then ;P

I agree the app is weak. I often use it to time cooking for when my wife will be home. Might have to click the "where is my car" thing in the app many times before it finally connects and tells me.

-15C is common here in the winter, even -23C is not uncommon and I don't think we have had a regular problem with the app not starting climate control when asked in the morning.

It is often slow to reload the car data and show that the heater is on, or that the car is charging when we decide we need to force it outside of the regular charging schedule.

All that said, it is way better than the cr@ppy Toyota app. The only thing I can presumably do is start the climate control and mostly that doesn't work. The old app had a lot more features and worked. No idea why they decided to break it. I just go to the bedroom window and hit the A/C button on the fob. The turn indicators flash and the car beeps so I know it worked. Doesn't need any internet/cell/whatever the apps use to connect to the car.

All that said, it is way better than the cr@ppy Toyota app. The only thing I can presumably do is start the climate control and mostly that doesn't work. The old app had a lot more features and worked. No idea why they decided to break it. I just go to the bedroom window and hit the A/C button on the fob. The turn indicators flash and the car beeps so I know it worked. Doesn't need any internet/cell/whatever the apps use to connect to the car.
What? There's worse? 🤯

Man I wish there was an AC button on the leaf fob. Wouldn't that be great? A dream come true.

So what do you do when the LEAF app does not work? "Slippers outside before coffee" for you too?

Last edited:
I know this has been said over and over but I can't comprehend how people could be happily coping with this app. At best it works 3 times out of 4 and it's annoying but like most of us, I find it manageable. But recently we've had 5 days of -15C weather here and I haven't been able to remotely start AC. Not once. It's failure every time. Maybe Nissan will eventually fix this, but then maybe not! Who knows! I wish I could just buy a remote starter like on any ICE car and just be done with it but nope! If the app does not work, then it's nothing, like it's 1985.

This isn't funny anymore.

AFAIK, the ONLY tiny thin ray of light on this situation is OVMS, but there is no support for 2018+ models and development for them has all but stalled. If there was a crowdfunding for this, man I'd be SOOOO in.

Now I'm certainly not alone in cold climate with a LEAF. How are you dealing with that? You go out in slippers every morning to manually start the car before you've had coffee, making sure it's charging so it'll heat? (because yeah, fully-charged/not-charging and plugged = fan only, no heat) Or do you ask the app to start the AC and pray? Or you all have heated garages? Really, how do you all deal with this?

P.-S.: I'm not telling about that time last week at work where I couldn't get the SoC from the app for the whole day, only to find at the end of the day that the charge had failed early. I had to find a QC (slow as hell at -15C) so I could get home, and then trash all my plans for the evening.

View attachment 3107
Just saying my Tesla Model 3 works every time. I still have my 2014 Leaf and it has completely stopped working if course.

They don't care. EVs will completely put STEALERSHIPS out of business. The model is just not sustainable.

Back