Leaf maintenance for leasing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm close to year 2 on my LEAF and I've spent $0 on maintenance (not including new tires that I got a few weeks ago). I intend to spend nothing on maintenance all the way through my lease.

Looks like they did rotate the tires. :)

Also, the printout reads:
"6090 PERFORM 1 YEAR BATTERY INSPECTION
0.30 NEED TO REDUCE USE OF QUICK CHARGING"

Anyone know what that 0.30 means?

As for doing too much quick charging, before leasing I told the sales rep that I don't have access to a carport, driveway or garage, & thus wouldn't be able to charge the vehicle at home.

He told me, "just get the quick charge package and you can charge it 2 or 3 times a week at the local supermarket (which has a Blink CHAdeMO charger), and it only takes 30 minutes or less each time." That's what sold me on the car, & now I'm being told I quick charge too much?

Do they punish folks at the end of the lease who rely too much on DC fast charging?

Keep in mind that a car salesperson will tell you *anything* they think you will believe in order to make a sale. People are regularly told that the car has a 100 mile range. As for being penalized for that battery report at lease end, no. Don't worry about it.

from reading about the OEM tires here, sounds like I may be putting on a set of Ecopias before returning my Leaf at 36k. Mine is the SV with the 16" wheels. Only 255 miles and 3 days on it so far, so I have a ways to go.

Tirerack says this tire has a 65k warranty. Has anyone managed the 36k with the required 1/8" left?

Second question, the dealer told me these were "run flat" tires, in other words they would get you to the nearest tire dealer for a repair. I see no description of that feature on Tirerack.

John

Sigh... Another clueless dealer! Nope, not run flat! More like often flat... :lol:

Jwedd said:
Second question, the dealer told me these were "run flat" tires, in other words they would get you to the nearest tire dealer for a repair. I see no description of that feature on Tirerack.

Jwedd said:
from reading about the OEM tires here, sounds like I may be putting on a set of Ecopias before returning my Leaf at 36k. Mine is the SV with the 16" wheels. Only 255 miles and 3 days on it so far, so I have a ways to go.

Tirerack says this tire has a 65k warranty. Has anyone managed the 36k with the required 1/8" left?

John
Ecopia is NOT a run flat. Ecopia will burn up and come apart like most tires if you continue driving after air loss.

For best life get the pressure up to the max and keep it there. Go a little slower on curves. Especially mountain drives and long sweeping cloverleaf highway ramps etc.
Have read one report over 70k but was mostly highway miles.

Also keep in mind that many of us suspect that the OEM Ecopias are inferior in quality to the ones you can get at retail. So I would not infer anything from Tire Rack's website about the factory-supplied tires.

Nissan should have supplied run-flats in lieu of leaving out the spare and giving us the tire goop that ruins your TPMS sensors. But apparently there is no such thing as an all-season low-rolling-resistance run-flat in the size the Leaf uses (at least the S and SV). You can only opt for 2 out of 3.

thanks for the heads up on the tires. I'll try to keep it in the ECO mode as much as possible. I actually got a "WHOA" out of my wife on freeway on-ramp in the normal mode :D. From 0-40, this is likely the fastest car I've had the pleasure of driving for more than a few minutes.

I did not notice any tire goop, nor any 12V air pump, in the tool kit. Dealer also said free 36k roadside assistance was another possibility for a tire problem. That sounds like at least a couple hour sit listening to the radio.

John

Jwedd said:
...I did not notice any tire goop, nor any 12V air pump, in the tool kit. Dealer also said free 36k roadside assistance was another possibility for a tire problem. That sounds like at least a couple hour sit listening to the radio.

John
There should be an air pump and associated can of goop in the tool compartment on the left side of the hatch; I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't there.

Veteran LEAFers recommend against using the goop because it will likely clog the tire pressure sensor and they are very expensive to replace. So, some of us carry a tire plug kit and pliers, to do our own temporary repair. The pump supplied with the LEAF should be sufficient for inflating the tire (without using the goop). If the tire is not repairable (or weather conditions are unpleasant) calling for a tow is the remaining option.

It is also helpful to have a flashlight for doing the repair at night and a tire pressure gauge. But in the absence of a tire pressure gauge the LEAF should have the "Easy Fill Tire Alert" (mine does):
TPMS with Easy Fill Tire Alert

When tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure warning light illuminates.
This vehicle provides visual and audible signals to help you inflate the tires to the recommended COLD tire pressure.
Vehicle set-up:
1. Park the vehicle in a safe and level place.
2. Apply the parking brake and push the P position switch on the selector lever.
3. Place the power switch in the ON position. Do not place in the READY to drive mode.
Operation:
1. Add air to the tire.
2. After a few seconds, the hazard indicators will start flashing.
3. When the designated pressure is reached, the horn beeps once and the hazard indicators stop flashing.
4. Perform the above steps for each tire.
• If the tire is over-inflated more than approximately 4 psi (30 kPa), the horn beeps and the hazard indicators flash 3 times. To correct the pressure, push the core of the valve stem on the tire briefly to release pressure. When the pressure reaches the designated pressure, the horn beeps once.
• If the hazard indicator does not flash within approximately 15 seconds after starting to inflate the tire, it indicates that the Easy Fill Tire Alert is not operating.
• The TPMS will not activate the Easy Fill Tire Alert under the following conditions:
— If there is interference from an external device or transmitter.
— The air pressure from the inflation device is not sufficient to inflate the tire
Assuming, of course, that one doesn't ruin the TPMS with goop... But I consider a tire pressure gauge standard equipment for any car I own.

Be aware that the Nissan suggested pressure seems to be much too low for LRR tires. Most of us run 40 psi or higher.

The goop and compressor (built in) are in a side compartment in the cargo area. As for tire wear, the power mode you use matters some, but the tire pressure matters more. 40-42psi seems to really help.

thanks! I haven't actually checked my pressure in the 3 days since purchased. I'll get them up to 42 psi first thing in the morning. I'll get a plug kit and carry it with me.

On the phone right now with MetLife insurance, they are having a stumbling block in their system: "how many cylinders on that car, sir?" They aren't set up for zero cylinders, LOL.

John

I usually do my maintenance based on mileage on car instead of age of car. I am leasing my Leaf and am approaching 15K miles at 17 months. Planning to do the recommended tire rotation , brake check (done at tire rotation), and change of in-cabin filter on my own. Will need to have the dealer do the battery check. My first battery check at 7.5K miles was free. Is the second battery check, suggested at 15K free?

Is there a penalty accessed by leasing company if the services are not done according the manufacturer's recommendations? Or does this present a problem only if a warranty issue comes about?

your battery check maintenance may be different than mine. The 2013 manual says 12k and 24k, both are free. It needs to be done at 36k also (not free), but that is when I give it back.

John

Can someone please tell me where to find in the lease terms or in the below manuals about the mandatory annual battery check and any other "required" maintenance ?

Owners's Manual: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf
Service and Maintenance Guide: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

Thanks.

sudhi said:
Can someone please tell me where to find in the lease terms or in the below manuals about the mandatory annual battery check and any other "required" maintenance ?

Owners's Manual: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-owner-manual.pdf
Service and Maintenance Guide: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

Thanks.
Fine print at the bottom of the 15K miles/12 month page in the maintenance manual.

Hi,

my dealer is telling me that I need to do maintenance according to the handbook. he is implying that I should purchase a prepaid maintenance package with them. 900 bucks!
however that seems totally bogus. As far as I can tell, there is no maintenance, just rotate tires and change an in-cabin filter. The battery check is done for free at 12 and 24 months.

So he says I can lease without the prepaid package but asks me "how will you get the maintenance done? it has to be at a dealer we are going to save you money with this package!"

I don't get it. What maintenance is there that has to be done at the dealer? Rotating the tires? Changing the cabin filter?

seems like crap to me.
The part of the contract he is quoting says

You agree to maintain this vehicle at your own expense. you agree to follow the owner's manual and maintenance schedule and to make all necessary repairs and replacement of parts, which includes maintaining adequate records of the vehicle maintenance. Failure to properly maintain this vehicle in accordance with the owner's manual and/or maintenance schedule may result in charges in addition to excessive wear and use charges

nothing in that says it has to be done at a dealer. does the handbook require it to be done at a dealer?

Does anyone actually check this stuff when you return the car??
advice would be appreciated.

I'd like to avoid this 900 dollar fee.

The maintenance should be done and documented, but having a dealer do it is optional. I suggest you ask for competing prices from several dealers. The cabin filter replacement, BTW, is not mandatory. Mine was about halfway dirty when replaced at one year / 8K miles.

It is basically illegal for maintenance to be required to be done by a dealer for warranty purposes. Definitely do not pay for a "maintenance" or "service" package. There is almost nothing to be done on the Leaf. In general, maintenance can be done by anyone, including you, just try to keep some kind of record.

Back