LEAF doesn't have an Interior trunk release

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be a very difficult install.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. About 400 people drown in their cars per year. Perhaps the fear of drowning in my car is unrealistic, esp since many of those deaths probably include alcohol. But it makes me anxious knowing that I can't help my dog aside from rolling down the rear window. I also need to help my child buckled in his car seat, so the dog will come 2nd. Maybe my dog's instinct will be to jump out the window, but it would be nice to have an option to open the hatchback before the car is submerged.

I am the same as you, My biggest fear is my animals will be killed by something I did or did not do, It would ruin me.
I trucked with my dog and I was always worried that something would happen. Even now that I am retired, I worry when we leave our animals at home for a day, that the house might ketch fire, and I don't worry about the house and its content, but would only care that my animals make it out safe.
In a bad accident, it is highly unlikely that a cable operated latch would still work. If you are afraid of either you or your animals being trapped, there are "escape hammers" that can shatter the tempered side glass with one blow. Side glass is different than windshield glass (in most all cases) and shatters into little cubes when struck. The trick would be securing the hammer to hand, where you could find it in a bad accident.

In a bad accident, it is highly unlikely that a cable operated latch would still work. If you are afraid of either you or your animals being trapped, there are "escape hammers" that can shatter the tempered side glass with one blow.
Ah good to know. From what I read, the hammer can probably be used on rear glass as well. A plan helps me sleep at night (when tiny problems become big ;).
I assume there are no data for how often an interior hatchback/trunk release is necessary to avoid loss of life. If there is, it's likely miniscule.... or so I tell the reptilian part of brain.

Cornbinder makes a critical point here: "The trick would be securing the hammer to hand, where you could find it in a bad accident."

I read all the time about folks who buy these sorts of devices and then keep them tucked away in their glove box or elsewhere in their vehicle.

If you have an accident that requires you to quickly remove yourself from the vehicle, there's a good chance that your airbags will have deployed (right into your face), your seatbelt may have locked, you will be stunned if not in shock (especially if your car rolled or slammed into a few immovable objects), and your general problem-solving abilities will be highly impaired.

Self-extraction tools that aren't accessible from your seat are likely to be inaccessible to you in the moments after a bad accident.

If you have an accident that requires you to quickly remove yourself from the vehicle, there's a good chance that your airbags will have deployed (right into your face), your seatbelt may have locked,
Seatbelts don't "lock" they may, if newer car have "pre-tensioners" that fire to pull the belt tight. To be sold in the US the belt release must be able to be released under full tension.
I have tested this (unfortunately) in a roll over. I ended up upside down being held in place by my seatbelt. I was nauseous and felt sick from the rolling G force, but merely had to release the belt in the normal way and fall to the roof and crawl out.
In all my driveing, it was the one "total" I had, I also was a tow operator way back when and saw the results of not being buckled in.
I remember the 1st seatbelts, my Dad installed them before they were mandated. You had to lift a buckle, much the same as aircraft belts are or were the last time I flew commercial. Car belts today just require you push (not pull like the old ones) and they pop loose.
Air bags inflate and rapidly deflate, likely before you are even conscious of what just happened.
If the accident is bad enough, most of the side windows will be shattered or blown out, making the tool not needed.
It isn't a pleasant experience, and one most will try and avoid going through again.

Cornbinder - I recognize that the airbags deflate. I also know that getting "punched" in the face is disorientating, especially if you add all the other noise/impacts/etc. associated with a crash.

Also, regarding the seatbelts, I guess I didn't choose my words very carefully. I wasn't trying to say that the belt can't be released, I was saying that the belt will be pulled very tight across your body, making it difficult to move or reach objects in your vehicle until you unbuckle.

I have personally come upon multiple accidents over the years where the driver was stuck in their car. Not because they couldn't get out, but because they were in shock and not in the proper frame of mind to even unbuckle their seat belt.

Some folks react very calmly after stressful situations (e.g., quickly unbuckling your seatbelt after a rollover and getting out of your vehicle). Many people don't. That's all I was trying to say, and by extension suggest that keeping an emergency crash hammer/tool in the glove box might not be the best idea.

Drew, I agree, being disoriented is the biggest issue in a crash and being buckled in. I just wanted to point out that it is far better than being thrown from the vehicle because someone was too afraid of not being able to release the belt to wear one. Your chances of surviving go way down if your are not buckled.

Your chances of surviving go way down if your are not buckled.
100% agree. My parents ingrained this in us when I was a little, to the point that I even (annoyingly) buckle my seatbelt from reflex when getting in the car for non-driving reasons (e.g., to change out the insurance paperwork in the glovebox, clean the inside of the windshield, etc).

100% agree. My parents ingrained this in us when I was a little, to the point that I even (annoyingly) buckle my seatbelt from reflex when getting in the car for non-driving reasons (e.g., to change out the insurance paperwork in the glovebox, clean the inside of the windshield, etc).
You know your parents message sunk in when you find yourself looking for the seatbelt in a movie theater!

Back