July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
evnow said:
Volt hasn't been supply constrained for a couple of months now.

They released about 1000 dealer demos into the market back then.. are there any Volts in your part of the world available for sale at MSRP?

December Leaf sales in Japan: 1,230
http://logsoku.com/thread/kohada.2ch.net/auto/1326350280/ID:nGEBXrHz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure the Focus and Mitsu sales will be posted here if we can find the reported sales numbers when the month ends next Tuesday but here is one prediction I came across for pure BEV sales in '12 ...

"Pike Research predicts overall BEV sales will hit about 30,000 in 2012, out of an expected total of 13 million vehicles sold in the US."

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=236871

The funny thing would be for Ford to announce that they DOUBLED or TRIPLED prior month deliveries of their EV by selling 16 or 24 cars for the month, the roll out I'm sure will be slow but I know that the 'token' 8 cars were a bit of a push on their part to be able to say that they sold EV's in 2011.

I also came across this blog ... sorry if it's someone here as I simply can't read all the stuff out there but it does chronicle some of the other makes and models that once they get into sufficient numbers may be worth adding as well. Kudos to putting this together ...

http://www.evfinder.com/evsales_2011.htm

Saw this today:

Zero-emission highlights

In October, Renault began sales of the Kangoo Z.E. small van, named International Van of the Year 2012. Corporate clients have so far ordered more than 15,000 Kangoo Z.E. for fleet use. In December, Renault began sale of the Fluence Z.E., an all-electric luxury car based on the conventional Fluence sedan.

In spring of 2012, Renault will launch the Twizy zero-emission urban commuter vehicle. In the second half of the year, Renault will launch the ZOE zero-emission subcompact.

Nissan sold more than 22,000 Nissan LEAF family hatchbacks in 2011, making it the best-selling electric vehicle ever. Nissan began selling the car in December 2010. In 2011, the Nissan LEAF won the World Car of the Year, Japan Car of the Year and European Car of the Year awards.

More than 80 percent of Nissan LEAF owners in the United States had never previously owned a Nissan. Nissan is expanding LEAF availability to all 50 American states and more European countries in 2012.

The Alliance is the only automaker with a full family of zero-emission cars that can be charged with purely renewable energy. The Alliance plans to sell a cumulative 1.5 million zero-emission cars by 2016 across all brands.

So 22,000+ total global LEAF sales last year.

http://blog.alliance-renault-nissan...osts-record-sales-2011-third-consecutive-year

More than 80 percent of Nissan LEAF owners in the United States had never previously owned a Nissan.

That powerpoint bullet has to look good in the boardroom. Likely little or no cannibalization going on, drawing new customers to the brand.

Kane said:
December Leaf sales in Japan: 1,230
http://logsoku.com/thread/kohada.2ch.net/auto/1326350280/ID:nGEBXrHz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can the OP add these numbers to the tally?

Low numbers for sure. An expected slingshot effect futon higher than normal Dec sales to the "broke after xmas"lull.

Sees what happens fir g Feb now that we have an extra day

evnow said:
Jan is a slow month for auto sales.
Volt sales may also have been affected by the Hamtramck shutdown as well. No Volts were made in January to give the factory time to set up for the CA emissions Volts (first stoppage) and to setup for the battery modifications (second stoppage).

LTLFTcomposite said:
More than 80 percent of Nissan LEAF owners in the United States had never previously owned a Nissan.

That powerpoint bullet has to look good in the boardroom. Likely little or no cannibalization going on, drawing new customers to the brand.
This describes me. Never had a Nissan. Never had a new car before. I never believed I'd ever buy a new car. Nissan has pulled off something no other automaker has done, in my case. Wonder if there are any others who would not ever have bought a new car if not for the LEAF (or some other EV). Nissan got to me because they were the first with a reasonable, affordable, mass-produced EV.

Rusty said:
Volt sales may also have been affected by the Hamtramck shutdown as well. No Volts were made in January to give the factory time to set up for the CA emissions Volts (first stoppage) and to setup for the battery modifications (second stoppage).
I don't think so ... Volt has built up a large inventory.

I think with Volt the best explanation is that - December was a special month because of tax considerations and the resulting large fleet sales.

With Leaf - obviously they need to start selling a lot more to hit 20K this year.

But not apparently for most everyone else: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/business/chrysler-and-ford-car-sales-improve.html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
Volt - 603
Leaf - 676
Jan is a slow month for auto sales.

evnow said:
Rusty said:
Volt sales may also have been affected by the Hamtramck shutdown as well.
I don't think so ... Volt has built up a large inventory.
The battery modification definitely kaboshed any sales of Amperas. The European folk have been complaining their cars are sitting there ready to go, but all sales are on hold until the kits arrive and are installed. And the holiday stoppage together with the January shutdown has delayed any new custom orders deliveries.

But otherwise I agree with you that sales were probably slowed because the exigent tax issue came off the table in January (which I would presume would affect Leaf sales as well), and because many people are just now ordering the CA emissions Volt. It wouldn't surprise me if Volt sales stay soft until CA deliveries start, expected March-ish.

http://nissannews.com/pressrelease/3229/202/nissan-north-america-sales-up-10.4-january

Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) maintained momentum from a strong 2011 finish with January sales of 79,313 units versus 71,847 units a year earlier, an increase of 10.4 percent. Nissan Division sales rose 12.5 percent for the month to 72,517 units. Sales of Infiniti vehicles decreased 8.2 percent from the prior year, 6,796 units.
Deliveries of the all-electric Nissan LEAF totaled 676 in January, marking 10,369 U.S. sales for the world’s best-selling electric car since its December 2010 launch.

It'll be interesting to see if this low sales trend of the Leaf continues despite the roll out to more states. If it does, perhaps we'll see some price cuts, incentives or decontenting.

Despite the strong yen that's killing Japanese automakers, I'm quite annoyed at the '12 price increase and forced features (CWP and QC port on SL). Battery heating and insulation is worthless in CA and many other states.

cwerdna said:
It'll be interesting to see if this low sales trend of the Leaf continues despite the roll out to more states. If it does, perhaps we'll see some price cuts, incentives or decontenting.

Despite the strong yen that's killing Japanese automakers, I'm quite annoyed at the '12 price increase and forced features (CWP and QC port on SL). Battery heating and insulation is worthless in CA and many other states.
I think the CWP is quite useful in many parts of California. The heated wheel and seats most anywhere, but I think the Leaf would be ideal as a Lake Tahoe local car (AWD would help for winter), and the battery heater would come in handy there if you didn't have a heated garage or kept it outside. It's only 70 miles or so completely around the Lake with little elevation gain or loss and slowish max. speeds, plus thin air to decrease drag. The problem is getting one there right now by any method other than towing or trailering.

tps said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

This describes me. Never had a Nissan. Never had a new car before. I never believed I'd ever buy a new car. Nissan has pulled off something no other automaker has done, in my case. Wonder if there are any others who would not ever have bought a new car if not for the LEAF (or some other EV). Nissan got to me because they were the first with a reasonable, affordable, mass-produced EV.

It's the same for me. First Nissan and first new car ever. If not for the Leaf I wouldn't have considered Nissan at all, nothing else in their lineup even remotely interests me.

BTW, 210 Leafs were sold in Norway in January. Since the US has 62 times as many people as Norway, it's comparable to selling 13,000 Leafs in a month in the US ;)

Leaf marked share in January was 1,9% over here, the 13th most sold model of all.

jkirkebo said:
BTW, 210 Leafs were sold in Norway in January. Since the US has 62 times as many people as Norway, it's comparable to selling 13,000 Leafs in a month in the US ;)

Leaf marked share in January was 1,9% over here, the 13th most sold model of all.
That is a good number - that is probably close to what they sold in California.

cwerdna said:
Yes - if they want to sell 20K per year - they need to sell some 1,650 per month. That is almost 2 1/2 times what they delivered in Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back