July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TomT said:
Actually, it rarely gets cold enough in any of those places to even trigger the battery heater...

hill said:
have you heard of Mamouth? Mount Baldy? Lake Arrowhead? Shasta? Redding? South Lake Tahoe? Heck even death valley's record low temp was 15 degrees
... ok ... I'll stop now. I'd definately want the battery low temp package.
Having spent a night in Tahoe Donner where the overnight temp nearby went down to -37F and the -20F windshield washer fluid in my car's reservoir turned to slush, I would respectfully disagree that temps around Lake Tahoe rarely get cold enough to trigger the battery heater. Indeed, the all-time low for California, -45F, was at Wishon (or maybe Boca) Reservoir, just NE of Truckee. In winter, temps below zero (or -4F for that matter) are fairly common; the record low at the Lake itself is -29F. And Mammoth also gets down pretty low, as all that cold air pours down the slope of the Sierra. Probably not as low as Lee Vining Canyon (which is well known for its ice climbing), but plenty cold, although official temps of -4 and below are much rarer than Tahoe.

I did say "rarely" and those are certainly exceptions to the rule, as you noted... Without wind chill (and the battery does not care about windchill, just ambient temperature), -4 and -14 are still fairly uncommon in California... And also remember, it would have to stay at that temperature for some time to cold soak the battery to the heater trigger point since it has a fair amount of thermal mass...

GRA said:
TomT said:
Actually, it rarely gets cold enough in any of those places to even trigger the battery heater...

hill said:
have you heard of Mamouth? Mount Baldy? Lake Arrowhead? Shasta? Redding? South Lake Tahoe? Heck even death valley's record low temp was 15 degrees
... ok ... I'll stop now. I'd definately want the battery low temp package.
Having spent a night in Tahoe Donner where the overnight temp nearby went down to -37F and the -20F windshield washer fluid in my car's reservoir turned to slush, I would respectfully disagree that temps around Lake Tahoe rarely get cold enough to trigger the battery heater. Indeed, the all-time low for California, -45F, was at Wishon (or maybe Boca) Reservoir, just NE of Truckee. In winter, temps below zero (or -4F for that matter) are fairly common; the record low at the Lake itself is -29F. And Mammoth also gets down pretty low, as all that cold air pours down the slope of the Sierra. Probably not as low as Lee Vining Canyon (which is well known for its ice climbing), but plenty cold, although official temps of -4 and below are much rarer than Tahoe.

Looks like North American LEAF sales were 478 for Feb 2012. Up 613% year over year!!!

http://nissanmedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/attachments/NNA_February_Sales_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ENIAC said:
Looks like North American LEAF sales were 478 for Feb 2012. Up 613% year over year!!!

http://nissanmedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/attachments/NNA_February_Sales_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not looking good. First time they didn't mention Leaf in the PR. They need to be delivering 1,650 a month to get to 20k.

sales of 478 would seem to indicate a demand issue, not supply, though I do understand there is availability in one area, and no cars in other areas where people are still waiting.

It would be nice if there was a supply to all nissan dealers this spring and summer as gas prices rise. though I guess there are several CA dealers who have had ground stock for weeks.

Even as a Leaf owner I am not sure about future Leaf sales, who can be.

When people ask me how my car is working , I say fine, it does what it should do, gets me to work and back, and most places I need to go. when I ask them how much they spend in gas each month most dont know the number. for me it was about $240 per month. last month I spent $38 dollars on electricity to commute 1300 miles.

2nd confirmation of numbers

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120301/AUTO0103/203010417/1121/AUTO01/GM-says-Volt-sales-up-in-February" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MARCH 1, 2012 AT 11:42 AM
GM says Volt sales up in February
BY DAVID SHEPARDSON DETROIT NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Washington — General Motors Co. said sales of its plug-in Chevrolet Volt rebounded in February — with the automaker selling 1,023 units — up from 603 in January, and outselling Nissan Motor Co.'s all-electric Leaf.

The boost in sales came even after GM weathered a torrent of bad publicity as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigated the Volt for post-crash fire risks. The government closed its investigation in January without finding any safety issues.

Volt sales are still below the best-ever mark in December, when GM sold 1,529 units.

IMHO production capacity is not a issue here, I seriously thought that after sale open nationwide, no more RAQ needed, but this is not true. Nissan still wants people to RAQ and will build Leaf to order. Looks like many dealers will not have demo for a while and car to sell for a while. Once car is sold to dealer no longer Nissan can transfer that car to other dealer/state that is why previously opened states have unsold cars

I think its time for a mild refresh on the Leaf, shorten the cycle time.

Charcoal interior, some new exterior colors, new wheels, easy stuff for Nissan.

Maybe a sport model with 17" wheels and some nismo suspension.

some new commercials would be great too. How about a Leaf performance commercial!

Quickly pulling away from the light, sport model go thru the twisties.

otherwise it will take gas north of $5.00 pr to hit 20k sales in NA, even then it might not happen

I am thinking between 7k and 9k

Supply for the LEAF still seems low - only about 700 in stock across the nation according to cars.com. Less than 250 in stock 500 miles from So Cal. I imagine that with Nissan is spreading them then with worldwide sales - and that most of the cars in stock are demos. Local dealers only have a couple in stock - and those could be pre-orders.

Compared to the Volt, there's 4300 showing up in stock nationwide and 314 of them 500 mi from So Cal. 1 local dealer has over 10 in stock. Supply is definitely better with the Volt than the LEAF.

kmp647 said:
sales of 478 would seem to indicate a demand issue, not supply, though I do understand there is availability in one area, and no cars in other areas where people are still waiting.
Nationwide there are 693 LEAFs in dealer inventory. So that's under one month supply and that's very low in the auto industry. I'll be very interested to see the world wide sales figures.

drees said:
Supply for the LEAF still seems low - only about 700 in stock across the nation according to cars.com. Less than 250 in stock 500 miles from So Cal. I imagine that with Nissan is spreading them then with worldwide sales - and that most of the cars in stock are demos. Local dealers only have a couple in stock - and those could be pre-orders.

Compared to the Volt, there's 4300 showing up in stock nationwide and 314 of them 500 mi from So Cal. 1 local dealer has over 10 in stock. Supply is definitely better with the Volt than the LEAF.

Time to drop RAQ and start real nationwide sale.
kmp647 you very right also faster charger because QC is going nowhere and not '13 - now
4K monthly Leaf production capacity was announced 1 year ago if I am correct

Comparing Leaf to Volt I need to remember that Leaf is sold globally. So yes we need that global leaf sale #

Volt is mostly just USA

kmp647 said:
Comparing Leaf to Volt I need to remember that Leaf is sold globally. So yes we need that global leaf sale #

Volt is mostly just USA

Yes.. Another fact to consider is that the Volt is now available in all US markets.. The Leaf is just now opening up to those markets this month.

Nissan better have some other plans for that TN plant. As I stated before, they'll be lucky to sell 10,000 or them this year.

478 is a dismal number. Over 20,000 Cruze were sold, 23,000+ Focuses. The average consumer is not going to entertain a $38,000 sticker for a compact car that gets 70 miles of range.

Something missing from this list?

The JX is the first luxury vehicle to be produced in the state of Tennessee, and will be built alongside the Nissan Altima, Frontier, Maxima, Xterra, and Pathfinder at the Smryna plant, which has the capacity to produce 550,000 vehicles annually.

It wasn't a contest when the Leaf was outselling the Volt and it's not a contest now that the Volt is outselling the Leaf. Both GM and Nissan are going to have to learn how to sell these cars. They're more compliments than competitors and strong sales of one should help the other.

Initially the Volt was at a disadvantage because it was rolled out in states that were not as receptive to EVs and it wasn't eligible for a CARB rebate or HOV lane access. As GM moves towards allocating cars based on take rates, and as the new Volts are now eligible for HOV lane access and a CARB rebate, Volt sales should grow stronger.

palmermd said:
Something missing from this list?

The JX is the first luxury vehicle to be produced in the state of Tennessee, and will be built alongside the Nissan Altima, Frontier, Maxima, Xterra, and Pathfinder at the Smryna plant, which has the capacity to produce 550,000 vehicles annually.
Um... ESFLOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back