How disappointed should I be that Nissan did not include liquid battery cooling on the Leaf E-Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
jlsoaz said:
LeftieBiker said:
If you mean me, I live in the Upper Hudson valley, roughly between Albany and Saratoga Springs.

So, IIRC, there are some spikes into some uncomfortably hot temps, and there is humidity. I don't know if humidity is also a factor for batteries... perhaps it impacts, to varying degrees, efficaciousness of different cooling approaches.
Humans care because they use evaporation to cool down. Radiators, heat pumps and batteries use conduction and convection, none of which are affected by humidity.

So, I've been wondering, air cooling (fan driven or vehicle-motion-based or completely passive) of a battery pack with humid air has the same efficaciousness as air cooling with dry air?

Also, as a second-order matter, does the pack work harder in a humid situation (all other conditions being equal) to keep the vehicle occupants cool?

jlsoaz said:
LeftieBiker said:
Hi - I'm not sure where in upstate NY that poster is from...

If you mean me, I live in the Upper Hudson valley, roughly between Albany and Saratoga Springs.

So, IIRC, there are some spikes into some uncomfortably hot temps, and there is humidity. I don't know if humidity is also a factor for batteries... perhaps it impacts, to varying degrees, efficaciousness of different cooling approaches.

First, you would now be hard-pressed to find a region that isn't far North, and doesn't get 'spikes into uncomfortable hot temps'. Second, the only effect that higher humidity has is it keeps the nighttime temps higher than they would be otherwise. My car, BTW, spent 90% of the hottest weather in a garage that is air conditioned to about 77F max, and is usually cooler.

jlsoaz said:
SageBrush said:
jlsoaz said:
Humans care because they use evaporation to cool down. Radiators, heat pumps and batteries use conduction and convection, none of which are affected by humidity.

So, I've been wondering, air cooling (fan driven or vehicle-motion-based or completely passive) of a battery pack with humid air has the same efficaciousness as air cooling with dry air?

Also, as a second-order matter, does the pack work harder in a humid situation (all other conditions being equal) to keep the vehicle occupants cool?
I just answered your first question :roll:

Yes to your second question. Dehumidification is energy intensive. Look up heat of vaporization to understand why.

jlsoaz said:

Very nearly. Humid air might actually work slightly better than dry air at the same temperature, as water vapor has a higher heat capacity than oxygen or nitrogen. The effect will be small though, as even with a dew point of 30°C the water vapor fraction is less than 5%.

Titanium48 said:
jlsoaz said:

Very nearly. Humid air might actually work slightly better than dry air at the same temperature, as water vapor has a higher heat capacity than oxygen or nitrogen. The effect will be small though, as even with a dew point of 30°C the water vapor fraction is less than 5%.

Ok thanks, makes sense.

LeftieBiker said:
First, you would now be hard-pressed to find a region that isn't far North, and doesn't get 'spikes into uncomfortable hot temps'. [....]

hi -

If I recall (and I'm not sure efficiently how to research this) you were at some point met with a claim that the area you are in has some sort of equivalence (in terms of battery degradation impact on a non-liquid-cooled pack) to a different area with a similar average temp but (I'm guessing) fewer spikes). It's possible that I misunderstood, or mis-remember, but if not, then my point was, and is, simply to get across that I question if it's valid to claim an equivalence in impact.

my new Ioniq is air cooled from the car interior. Well we will see how it works in temperate Southern California.

If I recall (and I'm not sure efficiently how to research this) you were at some point met with a claim that the area you are in has some sort of equivalence (in terms of battery degradation impact on a non-liquid-cooled pack) to a different area with a similar average temp but (I'm guessing) fewer spikes). It's possible that I misunderstood, or mis-remember, but if not, then my point was, and is, simply to get across that I question if it's valid to claim an equivalence in impact.

That may be something that WetEV wrote. He writes a lot of things with which I don't entirely agree. Essentially, I live in a climate that is common to much of Southeastern Canada and also to new England - but with fewer coastal storms. I do NOT live in an unusually hot part of New York. ;)

WetEV said:
Looking back at my logs, I had a 160 mile trip in my 2014 in early January. Mostly freeway. Three QCs. Peak battery temperature of 90F. Outside temperature in the mid 40F range.
Any idea what the charge rates were? If I use the 25kW ones at the dealership the battery doesn't heat up much. If I use one of the 50kW chargers around the city the battery will heat up a significant amount. The other day I went from 13% and 50*F to 90% and 95*F.

WetEV said:
LeafSpy logs the battery temperatures and ambient temperature.
Good to know. Do you use drop box to keep your logs?
*Edit*
I don't see temperature when I view trip logs and my log does go back to 11/2018.

WetEV said:
How often do you DCQC?
A couple times a week. Once in a while I need to do it 2-3 times a day.

LeftieBiker said:

That may be something that WetEV wrote. He writes a lot of things with which I don't entirely agree.

Temperatures can't be just averaged, as capacity loss isn't linear with temperature.

Tsiah said:
WetEV said:
Looking back at my logs, I had a 160 mile trip in my 2014 in early January. Mostly freeway. Three QCs. Peak battery temperature of 90F. Outside temperature in the mid 40F range.
Any idea what the charge rates were? If I use the 25kW ones at the dealership the battery doesn't heat up much. If I use one of the 50kW chargers around the city the battery will heat up a significant amount. The other day I went from 13% and 50*F to 90% and 95*F.

EVGO 50kW. Your car is newer, isn't it?

Tsiah said:
WetEV said:
LeafSpy logs the battery temperatures and ambient temperature.
Good to know. Do you use drop box to keep your logs?
*Edit*
I don't see temperature when I view trip logs and my log does go back to 11/2018.

Yes, I use DropBox.

Using LeafSpy to view the logs and you will not see all the fields. Upload to a computer one of several ways. Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or .... Or use a spreadsheet or a plain text editor on your phone. If an Android, you can use Google Sheets, or load Microsoft Excel or something else.

The nice thing about uploading is you can extract from multiple days and generate graphs like Reported SOC vs time. Or traction battery temperature and ambient temperature. Or see how your 12V battery is doing. Harder to do on a phone.

Tsiah said:
WetEV said:
How often do you DCQC?
A couple times a week. Once in a while I need to do it 2-3 times a day.

That's a lot. I've retired, mostly, and gotten rid of a gas car, and now find I'm doing a lot more DCQCs. I take longer trips about once a month or more. I 'm up to 117 DCQCs, most of those in the past year and a half. That's over 2 a month.

WetEV said:
EVGO 50kW. Your car is newer, isn't it?
Some of the units must be limited. All the ones at the dealerships are 25kW. There's only 3 I know of within 100 miles that are 50kW.
It's a 2016, 30kW battery

WetEV said:
Yes, I use DropBox.

Using LeafSpy to view the logs and you will not see all the fields. Upload to a computer one of several ways. Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or .... Or use a spreadsheet or a plain text editor on your phone. If an Android, you can use Google Sheets, or load Microsoft Excel or something else.

The nice thing about uploading is you can extract from multiple days and generate graphs like Reported SOC vs time. Or traction battery temperature and ambient temperature. Or see how your 12V battery is doing. Harder to do on a phone.
Nice, I'll check it out.
WetEV said:
That's a lot. I've retired, mostly, and gotten rid of a gas car, and now find I'm doing a lot more DCQCs. I take longer trips about once a month or more. I 'm up to 117 DCQCs, most of those in the past year and a half. That's over 2 a month.
I'm at 124 since October 2017. 7 per month average.

WetEV said:
jlsoaz said:
WetEV said:
[....]I note that you are in a climate where liquid cooling wouldn't make any measurable difference in battery life.

Hi - I'm not sure where in upstate NY that poster is from but may I ask what are you basing this sort of claim on? Is there any empirical data .... ideally across different EV manufacturers, chemistries and pack architectures...that you know of on these matters?

Does the data you are citing or your own research take into account driver practices or the combination of driver practices and occasional weather extremes?

I've posted the one piece of robust empirical data I can think of which is from the 2012-2013 PluginAmerica study papers by Tom Saxton. There must be more out there, but offhand I don't know where it is.

There are journal papers discussing the topic of the potential gains from active cooling in different climate including a broad range of possible driver practices, and I should and have not acknowledged them as sources. It has been almost a decade since I was reading such journal articles, and I'm not sure I can find the exact sources I've read. Likely far more in depth than you want. Likely behind paywalls as well. Lots of new stuff as well:

Might start with this: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63531.pdf see figure 11.

So, grabbing a few minutes to continue the discussion:

the document you cited:

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63531.pdf
Will Your Battery Survive a World With Fast Chargers?
Published 04/14/2015

- It looks like figure 11 illustrates that in Seattle, there is little battery capacity saved, or projected to be saved (are they projecting 10 years, or do they have 10 years' of empirical data?) with their versions of passive and active cooling and with DCFC being the issue causing hot temperatures and so standing in for high ambient temperatures. Indeed, this point seems worth mulling over.

- There is this statement which I think needs to be heeded:

While the nearly negligible impact of DCFC usage on battery
capacity fade may be surprising to some, it is important to point out
that DCFCs are used quite sparingly in our driver histories. Most
drivers use a DCFC less than once per month (Figure 6), and when
they are utilized, they typically charge the battery less than 60%
(Figure 9). Further, recent tests where DCFCs are used twice per day
to charge Nissan LEAFs driving in Phoenix have shown that the
difference in capacity loss due to fast charger use (as compared to an
otherwise identical case using Level 2 charging) after 50,000 miles of
driving is less than 3% [31].

To me, this casts some doubt on whether this was a really valid test of DCFC, but still, I don't want to pooh-pooh the value of the link. Hopefully over time we can gather quite a few others and out of this a modern understanding will emerge that is closer to helping us understand the choices available to 2019 automakers.

On the old Leaf links that were provided in other parts of the thread, I do think it sounds like some good understanding was achieved during the early days of study and cooperation between drivers and automaker-engineers and others, to understand what was going on with the Gen1 and some subsequent Leafs, but this understanding seems to have been more focused on just the Leafs. Ultimately what I think is needed is more (much more) along the lines of what you've provided here, which compares various approaches, including liquid cooling, and gets at the key questions around what are the benefits and what are the drawbacks of the cooling, in different geographies, use-cases, etc.

On Seattle versus "upstate NY" (with further clarification that was offered in this case, I think Albany/Saratoga Springs area)
- I am not very experienced with weather and climate data, but even just a glance shows that there is some (what seems to me) decent-sized variance in all-time summer monthly record highs among different towns, and between those towns and Seattle.
- maybe it's too far out into the weeds, but I'm wondering if high average humidity might actually help (perhaps in a small way) passive air cooling.

A goal here for me (both for personal buying but also for industry analysis) is to understand, going into gen3 and so-on, whether, or to what extent, I think it might be a flat-out mistake for an automaker to offer passive or active air-cooling, and to understand this, part of the matter is to compare with liquid cooling (the link you provided does this, somewhat, but some of the other links provided elsewhereI'm not so sure).

As discussed, it's possible to argue that it's not a flat-out mistake but simply a matter of serving different markets and customer needs. One of several reasons I cringe when I see this argument is that I think an important principle in the vehicle business in North America as it plays out is that once a vehicle is let loose in the wild, it is quite possibly going to be subjected to all manner of conditions, even just on a very occasional long trip to another set of climate conditions, or in the hands of a 2nd or 3rd or 4th owner. While one can debate the wisdom of over-engineering a vehicle (and dramatically bumping the up-front price) so that it is likely to have great durability no matter what the abuse, I am hypothesizing that it's best to engineer an EV with the idea in mind that ultimately it will probably not always be kept (by owner practices) within a safe-for-the-passively-cooled-battery-longevity set of conditions.

I bought my LEAF used from a car dealer who bought EVs off 3 year lease and sold them in N. California. He liked to mention that all of his LEAFS had 12 bars capacity. The first LEAF he offered me was 57 Ahr, a car that came from Georgia. I balked and asked for a car that had been leased in the bay area and ended up with my car that started out at ~ 61 Ahr after 3 years in Silicon Valley. After the dealer and I talked further he decided to no longer buy LEAFs from the SouthEast. About a month after my purchase I received an email from him saying that he had been using the GA car and that morning it lost its 12th bar. For him it was a big deal because it no longer commanded the price of a '12 capacity bar' car.

One more point: the dealer admitted that selling LEAFs was a labor intensive business because he had to spend hours on the phone with most customers to answer the most basic of questions. Expecting American consumers to know what geographical locations are good for a LEAF is far fetched.

As for Arizona ? LOL

SageBrush said:
I bought my LEAF used from a car dealer who bought EVs off 3 year lease and sold them in N. California. He liked to mention that all of his LEAFS had 12 bars capacity. The first LEAF he offered me was 57 Ahr, a car that came from Georgia. I balked and asked for a car that had been leased in the bay area and ended up with my car that started out at ~ 61 Ahr after 3 years in Silicon Valley. After the dealer and I talked further he decided to no longer buy LEAFs from the SouthEast, About a month after my purchase I received an email from him saying that he had been using the GA car and that morning it lost its 12th bar. For him it was a big deal because it no longer commanded the price of a '12 capacity bar' car.

One more point: the dealer admitted that selling LEAFs was a labor intensive business because he had to spend hours on the phone with most customers to answer the most basic of questions. Expecting American consumers to know what geographical locations are good for a LEAF is far fetched.

As for Arizona ? LOL

Excellent/useful, thanks writing this out.

- maybe it's too far out into the weeds, but I'm wondering if high average humidity might actually help (perhaps in a small way) passive air cooling.

NO. Any small increase in heat carrying ability with humid air is more than offset by the higher nighttime temperatures that result from humid weather. Cool nights (below 70F) are critically important for passively cooled EVs to be able to cool down to safe pack temperatures. That is one thing we've seen over and over here: Leafs not cooling down much overnight because of mild-but-warm nighttime temps.

jlsoaz said:
SageBrush said:
I bought my LEAF used from a car dealer who bought EVs off 3 year lease and sold them in N. California. He liked to mention that all of his LEAFS had 12 bars capacity. The first LEAF he offered me was 57 Ahr, a car that came from Georgia. I balked and asked for a car that had been leased in the bay area and ended up with my car that started out at ~ 61 Ahr after 3 years in Silicon Valley. After the dealer and I talked further he decided to no longer buy LEAFs from the SouthEast, About a month after my purchase I received an email from him saying that he had been using the GA car and that morning it lost its 12th bar. For him it was a big deal because it no longer commanded the price of a '12 capacity bar' car.

As for Arizona ? LOL

Also keep in mind that my story is for the 24 kWh LEAF. There are many good reasons to think that the 40 kWh, not to mention the 60 kWh LEAF battery will perform worse.

SageBrush said:
jlsoaz said:
SageBrush said:

As for Arizona ? LOL

Also keep in mind that my story is for the 24 kWh LEAF. There are many good reasons to think that the 40 kWh, not to mention the 60 kWh LEAF battery will perform worse.

Such as???? Not being a smart ass. I want to know this kind of stuff as we are seriously considering a 2020 EPlus to replace Angela’s smart ED.

Additional info. We are in the interior of B.C. and have noticed no appreciable loss of range in our 2016 SV.

I believe that he is saying that the 40kwh and 60kwh packs will degrade worse than the later 24kwh packs, because of poor heat dissipation resulting from their higher energy density, combined with no TMS or the QC-only TMS of the ePlus. This may not be a big problem for you where you live, unless you need to do more than one DCFC in a day.

LeftieBiker said:
I believe that he is saying that the 40kwh and 60kwh packs will degrade worse than the later 24kwh packs, because of poor heat dissipation resulting from their higher energy density, combined with no TMS or the QC-only TMS of the ePlus. This may not be a big problem for you where you live, unless you need to do more than one DCFC in a day.

Yah. DCFC is rare for us except on two 1800 km trips per year. One down to Palm Springs and one back. We travel max 600 km per day and usually less. So minimum one DCFC per day and maybe two on these trips. Destination charging overnight at hotels. We take a break about every two hours, walk the chihuahua, fill the coffee cup etc. Usually about fifteen minutes. So probably a series of short DCFC’s, maybe a half hour lunch break in there.

Thinking the Eplus Leaf will work well for us and our life style and type of travel. We haven’t ruled out the model 3 Tesla but an EV without Chademo in these parts is a limited use vehicle as Chademo (and CCS) are considerably better built out here and growing much faster than the Supercharger network. Comments welcome.

Back