2019 Nissan Leaf SV Battery Dead 40,000 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is supposed to charge 4 min out of every 24 hrs when it sits. I have witnessed this function happen. Whether that is enough to keep it charged, will depend. Esp if there is something left on (OBD dongle, light etc), as with any car it is possible to drain the battery in all the ways mentioned. The RAG (roadside assistance guide) from Nissan says to pull the HV disconnect between the seats, and after waiting 10 min disconnect the neg 12 volt lead when the vehicle is stored. Any vehicle I have that doesn't get driven in a month (or expected to not be driven) gets the battery disconnected. The risk of a critter damage on the wiring and possible fire from same. I have a few antiques that sit over the winter. I also have a 3 season road car that I don't drive in the winter, it has the same battery that the Leaf uses (gp 51R) and will deplete the 12 volt if left sitting all winter also.
4 min charge every 24 should do better than mine which has a ICE engine and will not do anything, although it is much older (40 years old) so has less key off loads than a modern car. Any car made in the last decade or so has more gadgets that draw a little power all the time and wouldn't fare much better if at all.
To sum up, I'd say if you plan on long term storage to follow the advice from Nissan in the RAG guide, or put a maintainer on the 12 volt, that will prevent the HV battery from needing to try and charge while sitting, It would wake up, see the 12 volt doesn't need a charge, and then re set the 24 hr timer. It will not save you from critter damage, but would allow but would prevent what you had happen.
Having said all that, many have reported going more than 2 months and not having a problem. If since you did, I would be looking for a draw and not just saying the 12 volt is defective.

It is supposed to charge 4 min out of every 24 hrs when it sits. I have witnessed this function happen. Whether that is enough to keep it charged, will depend. Esp if there is something left on (OBD dongle, light etc), as with any car it is possible to drain the battery in all the ways mentioned. The RAG (roadside assistance guide) from Nissan says to pull the HV disconnect between the seats, and after waiting 10 min disconnect the neg 12 volt lead when the vehicle is stored. Any vehicle I have that doesn't get driven in a month (or expected to not be driven) gets the battery disconnected. The risk of a critter damage on the wiring and possible fire from same. I have a few antiques that sit over the winter. I also have a 3 season road car that I don't drive in the winter, it has the same battery that the Leaf uses (gp 51R) and will deplete the 12 volt if left sitting all winter also.
4 min charge every 24 should do better than mine which has a ICE engine and will not do anything, although it is much older (40 years old) so has less key off loads than a modern car. Any car made in the last decade or so has more gadgets that draw a little power all the time and wouldn't fare much better if at all.
To sum up, I'd say if you plan on long term storage to follow the advice from Nissan in the RAG guide, or put a maintainer on the 12 volt, that will prevent the HV battery from needing to try and charge while sitting, It would wake up, see the 12 volt doesn't need a charge, and then re set the 24 hr timer. It will not save you from critter damage, but would allow but would prevent what you had happen.
Having said all that, many have reported going more than 2 months and not having a problem. If since you did, I would be looking for a draw and not just saying the 12 volt is defective.
Thanks for the input. After my first experience of draining the 12 V battery, I now keep it on a maintainer and all is fine since we do this every winter. My son-in-law, who also has a 2018 Leaf, had the same thing happen at the airport after ~ 2 weeks; dead 12 V battery that had to be jumped. I don't know if we're flukes or there's something wrong with the extended 12 V battery maintainer algorithm. Neither of us trust our Leaf to be left unattended for more than a week or so.
Steve

The only time I have ever had a problem with the 12 volt battery dying after not using the car for a few days was shortly after I got my Leaf Spy and left the dongle plugged in. Apparently the dongle uses enough juice to run the battery down all by itself if you don't drive the car every day or so. I did have to replace the factory battery after just under 4 years - I got a Napa Proformer 6551 at a reasonable price. The Napa store told me the factory batteries are not really the best quality, and they were surprised mine lasted as long as it did.

I wonder if software was changed from 2018 or later? I haven't read his happening on 2020's or later but this is something very difficult on this forum to count and verify. And if there was an improvement or change, why weren't MY effected owners notified to go in for an upgrade (or bug fix in this case)?

I wonder if software was changed from 2018 or later? I haven't read his happening on 2020's or later but this is something very difficult on this forum to count and verify. And if there was an improvement or change, why weren't MY effected owners notified to go in for an upgrade (or bug fix in this case)?
Since my son-in-law nor I trust our 2018 Leafs to maintain the 12 V battery during our absence, neither of us leave ours without a maintainer so I don't know if anything has improved or not?

I finally heard back from the dealer regarding my car. Apparently the battery was not bad. Rather there was an issue with the software that the dealer could not diagnose or fix. Someone from Nissan had to come out. Currently they are testing the battery to be as certain as they can that it does not have a discharge of battery like it was. I should get my Leaf back tomorrow. Which is a relief because I really don't like pumping or paying for gas when my Leaf would be charging on my solar power.

Back