Hood Latch Does Not Release

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

Our 2012 Nissan Leaf (35,453 genuine miles) has a hood release that no longer works. Most of the miles were accumulated in Palo Alto, CA, where excessive corrosion ought not be an issue. My quick assessment is that the cable has snapped; I feel no serious resistance on the cable when I attempt to 'tug' on it at the lever below the dash.

Is this a major problem? Is it one where I should rely on the local dealer, Colonial Nissan of Charlottesville, VA, or can any competent local mechanic fix something like this. At 80 I'm tempted to take down my 'shade tree mechanic' shingle for anything but the simplest of tasks.

thanks,
baumgrenze

1) The latch eventually worked it self open. Clearly it needs lubrication. What is the best long term solution. My tool kit is much reduced after a move. I can give it a shot of 3-in-1 for the interim.

2) I believe I put this post in the wrong place. If that is the case, will the moderator please move it where it belongs?

I will follow up after more research and patience.

thanks
baumgrenze

I'll move it tonight. You are right in thinking that oils like 3 in 1 or any oil with a solvent isn't the best approach. I lube a lot of things like that with new synthetic motor oil in a squirt can.

baumgrenze said:
1) The latch eventually worked it self open. Clearly it needs lubrication. What is the best long term solution. My tool kit is much reduced after a move. I can give it a shot of 3-in-1 for the interim. ...

That should be ok for the mechanism's moving bits. For the post on the hood that gets "captured" by the lock, I'd suggest cleaning followed by a thin coat of grease.

Not on Leaf specifically, but I have recalled cases where hoods didn't seem to pop-up after a tug on the handle. Sometimes a quick whack to the top of the hood near the front edge would make it pop up.

Thank you all for your contributions. Special thanks to Moderator LeftieBiker for patience with a senior citizen who still wants to do what he can (and is still testing the limits of an aging body with great reluctance.)

Back