Electric charge door release fix -

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbscw

2017 S model - Traction Battery replaced at 35K by dealer. Now 3 years later at 62k, the algorithm projects about 140 mile range...I'm satisfied with my wonderful leaf.
A few years ago, my Charge port door stopped working. Dealer service looked at it and estimated 1500... Too rich for my blood, but one of the mechanics took some pictures of the two wires that connect to the solenoid under the bonnet release cover....they were bitten through....(apparently by rodents, I hear the insulation is based on a vegetable ingredient like soy or such) The service desk person said he couldn't leave the charge port open ......"for safety reasons!" Asshole......
I took it home, took the nosecone and plastic grills off an hour and repaired the wires. It worked great for a couple years, and happened again. I haven't repaired it yet, I just leave the door unlatched.
If it gets closed, >Open the hood: there is a small hole in the cover above the latch assembly, where I can put a 1/4"x12"rod to activate/push the release lever that the solenoid activates...and 'POP' it opens. I'm lazy.... its either the wires again, or a fuse that has stopped a few other pesky items..( I installed a small powered base speaker, but it seems to have affected some things) I haven't been curious enough to find the fuse problem in a couple years now...I love the car, but now- my trip odometer resets every start, and my 3 charge lights no longer signal. The service manager says " oh yeah, youve got a bad ECM, it happens all the time...!" Sure...all the time...like I trust what the service manager says!! Ha! But thanks to the pictures the mechanic showed me! I realized that I can work on my electric car for some things.
Rodents eat the wires. Either out a cover on the exposed wires or I'm going to put a $15 dollar manual cable pull under my dash. That's not hard for me.. I'll run the cable around the engine and through the firewall into the cabin, maybe 8'-10'. Choke control cable or cable release from Pep boys ir a hardware store..

Back