Has anyone ordered a 2013 at a dealer yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

I've never placed a pre-order at a car dealer before, has anyone done a 2013 order yet? (SL in Metallic Slate with all the trimmings for me)

Do you have place a deposit? Is it binding? Do you still negotiate the price? If so, when (now, or after the car is in?)

Thanks.

I'm interested in this as well since I'd like to grab a 2013 as soon as humanly possible. :) I'm planning on stopping by my local dealer tomorrow to see what information I can get.

wantonsoup said:
I've never placed a pre-order at a car dealer before, has anyone done a 2013 order yet? (SL in Metallic Slate with all the trimmings for me)

Do you have place a deposit? Is it binding? Do you still negotiate the price? If so, when (now, or after the car is in?)

Thanks.

I've done this a few times in the past. Each time has been different mostly depending on the dealer. But everything is negotiable and is best to get those done up front before you place a deposit which most will require. Also don’t just walk in off of the street call ahead of time and ask for the internet sales manager.

So did anyone go to order a 2013? I'm curious how it went.

My concern about negotiating the price now is that if they get one in that's not EXACTLY what you ordered you have to do it all over again. My car purchases always take 6-8 hours. Don't want to do that more than necessary :lol:

I would not expect to put more than a $250-500 deposit, on a credit card, and it should be fully refundable or applied to the final purchase.

I've factory ordered vehicles with a $500 refundable deposit. You won't need to factory order a Leaf, there just aren't that many variations.

Great to see such enthusiasm, but remember patience often pays off. In Feb last year people paid MSRP or more, end of last year and now 10K less. For some few months maybe very important but I like to get great deal on things I buy.

I plan to get my house on the market soon, and I'll be homeless for a while after that... so I'm not ordering anything! I wish I could.

EdmondLeaf said:
Great to see such enthusiasm, but remember patience often pays off. In Feb last year people paid MSRP or more, end of last year and now 10K less. For some few months maybe very important but I like to get great deal on things I buy.
Everyone loves a good deal, but if you want a great deal go snatch up a 2012 with the fire sales going on there. 2013's are going to be around MSRP unless you want to wait a year. I've already waited eight months since deciding to buy a Leaf (and literally in the car driving to the dealership to buy a 2012 when I checked my phone at a light and saw something about the 2013 might have a heater upgrade) so this is super patient already for me. I already own an EVSE sitting in the box. I'm ready to buy, baby!

And as early as Jan/Feb 2011 people were getting Leafs for $1k under sticker. That seemed to have continued right up until the fire sale when they announced that 2013 would have improvements. So I think we might be in for years of waiting to get a significant discount on the car. I'm shooting for $1k under sticker price when I sit down to bargain. I have a trade also so that's more room to budge.

wantonsoup said:
2013's are going to be around MSRP unless you want to wait a year.
We got the Leaf when it first came out for good discounts. Why would we pay MSRP now ? Check with multiple dealers - you will always get a discount.

evnow said:
wantonsoup said:
2013's are going to be around MSRP unless you want to wait a year.
We got the Leaf when it first came out for good discounts. Why would we pay MSRP now ? Check with multiple dealers - you will always get a discount.
Thanks - will do. Only problem with the Leaf is that you can't buy from a dealer THAT far away unless you want to pay hundreds to transport it home. :cool: (I've been known to fly into a city, buy a car, and drive it 2-3 days back home! That wouldn't be fun in a car with an 80-100 mile range)

wantonsoup said:
Thanks - will do. Only problem with the Leaf is that you can't buy from a dealer THAT far away unless you want to pay hundreds to transport it home. :cool: (I've been known to fly into a city, buy a car, and drive it 2-3 days back home! That wouldn't be fun in a car with an 80-100 mile range)
Several people bought from out-of-state and had the Leafs flat-bedded.

I don't doubt it but given that it can cost hundreds or a thousand bucks to move a car (I've done it many times) the discount would have to be pretty great to make it worth the trouble. I don't see a dealer doing $2k off next month. But I suppose I'll try!

wantonsoup said:
I don't doubt it but given that it can cost hundreds or a thousand bucks to move a car (I've done it many times) the discount would have to be pretty great to make it worth the trouble. I don't see a dealer doing $2k off next month. But I suppose I'll try!
I think the easiest option is to check will all the dealers nearby. Where are you located, anyway ?

After much back-and-forth I've gotten my hands on a list of the 2013's that are on order by my local dealership (Leith Nissan in Cary, NC). They have 15 on order, with the first batch of 10 or so arriving in February, the rest in March. Unfortunately none of them are exactly what I want (SV + QC/LED, Black on Black), so I either have to step up the game and get an SL, or custom order something...

I don't know how flexible they are on price, since they said they would honor my VPP membership and I'd most likely end up paying less than invoice.

jimmyz80 said:
I don't know how flexible they are on price, since they said they would honor my VPP membership and I'd most likely end up paying less than invoice.
Well, I think anything below invoice is probably a good price for a MY13 now.

Bicster said:
Surely you guys mean MSRP, not invoice.

No, the VPP price is apparently is Invoice and then an added discount beyond that which changes over time. I'm looking at the VPP site right now, and for 2012s it shows $750 below invoice. They haven't updated it to include the 2013s yet.

In 2012 the difference between invoice and MSRP was $1,493. On 2012 I think VPP is doing an additional $750 off. So you're looking around $2,250 below sticker. But I doubt the number will be $750 for the 2013 models, probably closer to $100-300. Still $2k is nothing to sneeze at. I'm hoping to find a dealer willing to do $1k below sticker.

Bicster said:
Thanks; I thought VPP was a loyalty program. I just Googled it. :D

did someone say what VPP is. if so, I dont see it.
googling produced mixed results, indicating perhaps it is special pricing for Nissan employees and might include active military.

Back