Driving range display 'changes' after NTB11038 Svc Campaign

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Instantaneous Miles per kWh" (or mpe, miles per edie) bar gauge normally reflects your present speed and power usage.

However, AFTER doing any Regen, it "sticks" at 8 mpe until it thinks that the Regen'd energy has been used up.

Just got #202 back from Weseloh Nissan. Gabe the service advisor took great care of us and Tim, the Technician, has no trouble doing the update. It was their first LEAF service and we sat around and chatted for the hour and a half service. A nice group of guys that like the LEAF as much as I do. I felt like our car was in very good hands.

We dropped the car off with 3046 miles, two bars missing and 81 miles remaining. Gabe took a quick spin in the car after service and gave it back with 3047 miles, three bars missing and 81 miles remaining. The new software does seem to modify the SOC bars.

Is it possible that modification shifted some charge from the low end reserve of the pack, so when we charge it next time we'll get more range?

Long4Leaf said:
I was thinking something similar. Allow the display to be toggled between "last mile average", "last 5 mile average", "last 10 mile average", "average since you reset your mi/kWhr".

Something like that. Then it allows me to estimate when driving conditions change but are expected to be that way for a while AND when driving conditions change but is expected to be temporary/averaged out.

Of course now you're getting into the "tech-savvyness" of the user. What's the old saying, "simple answers for simple minds", lots of folks can at best deal with a single number even though it doesn't tell the whole story. For the dweebs at the other end of the spectrum you could display spreadsheets and graphs of energy consumption history. That's what the "Advanced" button is for :)

It's a usability challenge for sure.

Hello,
My $.02, I think when you power on the car it should calculate the range using the overall efficiency (dash display) not the CW efficiency. Then as your trip continues it counts down the miles as it accumulates a "current" efficiency then begins to modify the range with that calculation.

garygid said:
The "Instantaneous Miles per kWh" (or mpe, mikes per edie) bar gauge normally reflects your present speed and power usage.

However, AFTER doing any Regen, it "sticks" at 8 mpe until it thinks that the Regen'd energy has been used up.

That's quite a bit of regen I had then:)

DarkStar said:
Gonewild said:
Wow, I just checked my Carwings to see if it is charged and ready for my drive to work today. And normally I have 109 to 124 or so mile starting range but today I have only 81 miles that should make the 76 miles RT to work. But that must be do to the software change.
I noticed the exact same thing this morning. My RT is 56 miles though so I'm in good shape. When I hopped in the car and put it in ECO mode though the dashboard displayed 110 miles, still lower than the usual 120 miles I saw pre-update.

I'm betting this is just them resetting what the range display has 'learned' previously. My test on the way in this morning got flubbed thanks to a SIG-alert that gave me better economy than normal (phoey) so we'll have to see what tomorrow holds. This is also why I stuck to talking about SOC vs. range in the original post.

sdbonez said:
I'm betting this is just them resetting what the range display has 'learned' previously. My test on the way in this morning got flubbed thanks to a SIG-alert that gave me better economy than normal (phoey) so we'll have to see what tomorrow holds. This is also why I stuck to talking about SOC vs. range in the original post.
Good point. I guess I'll see how it evens out over a few days of commuting!

IBELEAF said:
So, I am reading 70 range after the update and full charge. Anyone else getting this too?

No one will get the same value. Drive the car and the number will change. Charge and it will change again, your range should not change once you start using it again.

Ok here is my view of the new software. MY RANT.
First in all my range posts I have said I drive 76 miles RT to work. I arrive at work with 5 bars missing and at a SOC of 67% and 59%. When I get home I have 1 bar over the 2 red bars and 19 to 24 miles left at always made me feel good. I got home with only 10 miles left and still not low battery warning as before around 19 miles.

Now the second day in a row I have only 50% SOC 5 bars but was on the 6 bar longer then other days. Yesterday I drove fast then normal to work so I thought it was on me so today I drove the under 60 mph speed. But I got to work with 50% SOC again.

I think they changed not only the display but the usable SOC by near 10%
I WANT MY OLD VERSION OF SOFTWARE I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BUT UPGRADED BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO HAVE THE AC ISSUE.

. Unless the whole time the display was miss leading me in to a false sense of comfort?

IBELEAF said:
So, I am reading 70 range after the update and full charge. Anyone else getting this too?

I got a lower number of 96 in D and 107 in ECO today. In the past I had in the 120's in ECO until I got on the freeway and it drops fast to about 100 or so.

Gonewild said:
I think they changed not only the display but the usable SOC by near 10%
I WANT MY OLD VERSION OF SOFTWARE I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BUT UPGRADED BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO HAVE THE AC ISSUE.
. Unless the whole time the display was miss leading me in to a false sense of comfort?

So, that makes two of us now that look like SOC is impacted by 10%. And yes, Gonewild - that's what I was thinking - that I was being mislead into a false sense of comfort previously (but who knows - turbo2ltr's figures seem to dispute this) but at the same time, it appears turtle mode's engaging later in the game now...

I never got to turtle mode just low battery. I think they did reduce the usable battery to save on warranty replacement.

Oh I doubt I could get the dealer to rollback the version to what I had before. I never should have changed it if I was not having any problems. I guess I got if it not broke don't fix it until it is. Now I am torn was it just a minor change or did they really reduce the range on ME?

Back