Driving range display 'changes' after NTB11038 Svc Campaign

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
bowthom said:
I have reset both simultaneously and after a while the dash unit is ~.15 m/kWh less than the display. I haven't tested why but it is probably driven by different distance figures. IE: odometer vs GPS or...............
That is the reason for disparity.

However, this reason would make the display have a lower m/kWh readout. GPS cuts corners so it becomes same power over less distance. Odometer always reports more distance than carwings data downloaded.

Interesting article on all cars electric: 5 Reasons Why You’ll Want the 2011 Nissan Leaf Software Update
http://goo.gl/0mf0d
In reality however, Nissan has re-engineered the ‘fuel gauge’ to better mimic a gasoline car, giving a true reserve capacity.
Sigh, was giving the user a a somewhat accurate state of charge display really that difficult Nissan? If I wanted "the ‘fuel gauge’ to better mimic a gasoline car" I would have bought a gasoline car.

The concept is just too simple...give us a numeric percent readout where 0% means the car won't go, and 100% means it won't take any more charge, and make it as granular and linear as the hardware allows. They would be amazed at how many people would immediately and easily be able to judge how far they could go given such a capacity readout. The computer between our ears is MUCH better than anything they're likely to come up with.

My stats, post-upgrade:
In general a loss of two more bars in a daily commute of 42 miles highway. We have not seen the alert go off AT ALL even though the car has been down to 1 bar and 5 miles left (I have no explanation for this... I may have to try to drain the battery just to see if I get any alert at all). The technician told me that a much larger "reserve" is saved for the very bottom of the charge pyramid. But this makes no sense to me... if we get no alert until all the bars are drained, how am I to make a reasonable estimate of how many real miles are left in "reserve?"
Nissan's main problem in the last year has been information dissemination. Why did I have to find out about this SOC change (apart from the cryptic line in the e-mail about accuracy) from my own experience and these forums?

Josh

barsad22 said:
My stats, post-upgrade:
In general a loss of two more bars in a daily commute of 42 miles highway. We have not seen the alert go off AT ALL even though the car has been down to 1 bar and 5 miles left (I have no explanation for this... I may have to try to drain the battery just to see if I get any alert at all).
I would definitely do a controlled test of this near home the next time you get down that far. I have consistently gotten the low charge warning at 8-9 miles range remaining since the update was applied. Others have reported the same. Your 5 miles left with no warning seems odd.

TT

ttweed said:
...I have consistently gotten the low charge warning at 8-9 miles range remaining since the update was applied. Others have reported the same. Your 5 miles left with no warning seems odd...
Wouldn't that depend on how it has been driven? If it's based on battery level, that a longish uphill, or a lead foot, might drive the range down without tripping the low batt warning.

I guess I've been buying the wrong gasoline cars... The last three of mine had extremely accurate guages right down to the last few tenths of a gallon and the last few miles of calculated range...

Spies said:
In reality however, Nissan has re-engineered the ‘fuel gauge’ to better mimic a gasoline car, giving a true reserve capacity.

davewill said:
ttweed said:
...I have consistently gotten the low charge warning at 8-9 miles range remaining since the update was applied. Others have reported the same. Your 5 miles left with no warning seems odd...
Wouldn't that depend on how it has been driven? If it's based on battery level, that a longish uphill, or a lead foot, might drive the range down without tripping the low batt warning.
Possibly, which is why I would test it if I was getting no warning at such a low range, by driving close to home until it came on (or range indicator went to "--" just to see if the warning system was working at all. I know I used to get the first low battery warning at 17-19 miles before the update, and now it's 8-9 miles.

TT

The displayed miles at the "Low Battery" warning should vary a lot with your recent driving style and conditions. The warning seems to be triggered by the same (internal) SOC value, which now corresponds to somewhere in the lowest (last) "bar".

Have people, driving with NO bars, gotten the "Very Low Battery" warning?

Also, it seems that the displayed "miles remaining" value, for a given SOC, are now calculated differently (old 17 is new 7, or some such).

So, a given SOC now displays fewer bars, and "calculates" fewer miles remaining, more or less to match the fewer displayed bars, it would seem.

Basically, with the new "hidden" reserve, you get no useful information that will help you judge the chances of getting to a charge station (like home). I guess Nissan thinks that will keep most folks further from empty ... an effective "loss" of instrumented capacity. But, it's sill there if you want to try and use it "blindly".

Myself, I prefer the fully-instrumented SOC, but ...
I count the sequencing seconds at signal-controlled intersections, so I MIGHT not be typical! :lol:

This is why I have not yet, and may never, get the "upgrade". It hides a significant portion of the information that I use to make an intelligent decision on range and recharging...

And yes, I count the seconds too!

garygid said:
Basically, with the new "hidden" reserve, you get no useful information that will help you judge the chances of getting to a charge station (like home). I guess Nissan thinks that will keep most folks further from empty ... an effective "loss" of instrumented capacity. But, it's sill there if you want to try and use it "blindly".

Myself, I prefer the fully-instrumented SOC, but ...
I count the sequencing seconds at signal-controlled intersections, so I MIGHT not be typical! :lol:

After the update my DTE is about 6 to 10 miles lower than earlier (for the same distance traveled + m/kwh).

I've gotten the low battery light twice. Both were with around 6 to 5 miles estimated range displayed and one bar. Haven't got the very low battery, eventhough Carwings said I had 0% battery (car still showed 1 bar) at start of charging. ;)

Another thing I noticed with the C firmware. The last 3 or 4 bars have more miles associated with each bar. My top bar consistently goes away within 6 to 7 miles of driving. When I get to the last 3 bars, I typically have 27 to 30 miles of estimated range and it seems to hold up as I continue to drive. I usually end up at home with two bars and 17 to 21 miles of range estimated, so each bar is approximately 9 to 10 or so miles.

Bassman said:
Sometimes it doesn't change the firmware version being shown, but the update is the C version if you look at the dealers paperwork.
The version on the screen is for the navigation system, not the VCM (vehicle control module). The only way to poll that version number is with a CONSULT III+ (or maybe over CAN-bus with some secret code)...

sdbonez said:
garygid said:

Whew... and I thought I was crazy for doing the same - glad I've got company now :roll:
Oh, no. You're quite crazy. There's just two of you. ;)

Back