Driving range display 'changes' after NTB11038 Svc Campaign

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Does anyone know how long the upgrade takes, the actual work part once the tech gets the car?
From "in the service bay" to "software updated?" About 30 minutes... The other 15 minutes was waiting for a service technician to be ready to take care of my car and them washing it afterward.

I took my LEAF into my PD last week to have the update completed. It took a total of 2.5 hours. The tech says he went "by the book" and didn't cut any corners. He said his instructions included ensuring that the lead acid (i.e., accessory) battery was fully charged before running the update. I equate this with flashing a bios on a computer; the instructions normally tell you to be sure the power stays on and if a laptop, be sure the battery is charged. Apparently, he had to wait some time for the accessory battery to charge before he could proceed. The actual software upgrade took less than 30 minutes. Add time to chat, wash the car, and give the service advisor (and parts department employee) a test drive, and you've got 2.5 hours.

I love my LEAF. What other car would a service advisor and parts employee ask for a test drive in a customer's car :lol:

The tech at my dealership told me that the instruction sheets they use go one step at a time, and at the end of each step is a message telling them to call Leaf tech support if they have problems. So, even though this guy is probably a great tech on cars in general. That made him look at the upgrade process,(mine was his first) as suspect. As if at each step, one might expect to run into trouble.

Randy3 said:
I took my LEAF into my PD last week to have the update completed. It took a total of 2.5 hours. The tech says he went "by the book" and didn't cut any corners. He said his instructions included ensuring that the lead acid (i.e., accessory) battery was fully charged before running the update. I equate this with flashing a bios on a computer; the instructions normally tell you to be sure the power stays on and if a laptop, be sure the battery is charged. Apparently, he had to wait some time for the accessory battery to charge before he could proceed. The actual software upgrade took less than 30 minutes. Add time to chat, wash the car, and give the service advisor (and parts department employee) a test drive, and you've got 2.5 hours.

I love my LEAF. What other car would a service advisor and parts employee ask for a test drive in a customer's car :lol:

It would be faster to put the 12V battery on a charger. Much easier.

EVDRIVER said:
Does anyone know how long the upgrade takes, the actual work part once the tech gets the car?

It took total of 15 minutes from the moment I gave them the keys. I asked not to wash the car.

Seeing is believing.... 34 minutes...and they were slow with the paperwork (I think it was more like 20mins max)

leafac.jpg

Since this wasn't supposed to be the "how long it takes for the dealer to do the update" thread, I'd like to know if anyone is noticing what my wife has been seeing--after the update, she says the bottom 3 bars of the SOC display seem to last significantly longer, especially the last white bar before you go down to the two bars with red tails. She has never actually been down to the lowest bar yet, but swears that third bar from the bottom lasts twice as long as it used to. Any similar experiences? Anyone else pushed down to and past the low battery warning yet and measured mileage?

TT

Yeah, it's devolved a bit, but I think the first 5 pages or so covered it pretty well. As for your question of anybody taking it to empty, yes. I did, on page 11: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=83944#p83944

Not sure how you missed that, you only had to wade through 11 pages to find it. :lol:

GeekEV said:
Not sure how you missed that, you only had to wade through 11 pages to find it. :lol:
Yah, I said "anyone else" because I remembered your report and jason98's story on p. 15, but I'd still like to hear if anyone else has measured any difference in the actual range of the last 3 bars of charge on the display compared to pre-update behavior. We rarely get down that low, but if there is more of a "reserve" there now, it would be nice to know how much, in case we push the range out of necessity some day. Your report of getting 14 miles after the low battery warning and 1 bar left was a useful datapoint, I'd just like to hear more "range per bar" reports, especially starting from the time the display drops to 3 bars left. My wife is convinced they "padded" that last white bar before you drop into the red ones a lot, but I'm not sure if it wasn't just the way she was driving that got her more range than usual out of it. She drives the car more than I do, and has only been into that bar a couple times since the update, but she swears it seems to last "forever" compared to the other ones.

TT

Hello,
This morning, post P1213 update, I noticed Carwings (online) no longer agrees with the dash display (however it does inside the car).
Dash shows: 83 miles in drive, 91 miles in eco & 70 miles w/ CC on.
iPhone / online Carwings shows: 76 miles with CC off & 63 on @ 83% charged (80% timer set)

I don't ever remember seeing this discrepancy before. :roll:

garygid said:
The "Instantaneous Miles per kWh" (or mpe, miles per edie) bar gauge normally reflects your present speed and power usage.

However, AFTER doing any Regen, it "sticks" at 8 mpe until it thinks that the Regen'd energy has been used up.

Gary,
How does the cumulative read out, which is part of the TRIP Instantaneous Miles/kWh read out in the dash differ from the one in the Nav--under the Energy Display?

Forget all these erroneous estimates... as a matter of fact once you get comfortable with your regular daily commute you'll stop looking at the range estimator just like in a gas car...

These are two different mi/edie averages, each with its own independent reset.

No, no idea why ... unless they designed in such a way that the Nav screen/functions could be an option.

If they are showing the same thing, there is a problem; because mine differ currently. The dash says 4.7 and the Nav says 5.1.

hmmmmmmm

I have reset both simultaneously and after a while the dash unit is ~.15 m/kWh less than the display. I haven't tested why but it is probably driven by different distance figures. IE: odometer vs GPS or............... because of averaging. Maybe the dash unit sees only averaged power usage and the display counts all those extra tenths. OR maybe the display uses the more recent power average while the dash accumulates since reset. Whateva!

bowthom said:
I have reset both simultaneously and after a while the dash unit is ~.15 m/kWh less than the display. I haven't tested why but it is probably driven by different distance figures. IE: odometer vs GPS or...............
That is the reason for disparity.

Back