Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure hope not. your statement implies Turtle mode at 30% SOC?? i am thinking not

His battery was at 30% remaining, mine was at 70% according to my BT Android App.

fengshui said:
ELROY said:
Based on how weak the Spark felt on my extensive test drive in town, on the fwy (w/sport switched on), I decided not to get it. Also, its so much smaller and less refined. Do you happen to be in Ventura County? I would love to do a friendly 0-40mph race to see how much faster your car is.

I'm up in Santa Barbara with a Spark EV, if you want to try some weekend.

Would be nice to try. I probably won't make the 50mile trip to Santa Barbara...but if you are closer to Camarillo, definitely let me know. Would be awesome to test 0-30/40mph. With all that torque..the Spark should leave the LEAF. And I was flooring the Spark all around my test drive. Then drove back home in the LEAF. Maybe something was wrong with that Spark. The biggest obvious difference is I was carrying a heavy salesman during the test drive. 20-40mph felt very quick in the Spark though. But around town 0-30mph is what I have fun with at every intersection.

I've been perusing the Spark EV's owner's manual off and on, and thought I'd share some charging info. You can charge in three modes: Immediate, Departure Time (individually settable for each day of the week), and the most interesting one, Rate & Departure Time, which solves a problem that some people have complained about on the LEAF. Quoting:
"The vehicle estimates the charging start time based on the utility rate schedule, utility rate preference, and the programmed departure time for the current day of the week. The vehicle will charge during the least expensive rate periods to achieve a full battery charge by the departure time. Electrical rate information from the utility company for the charging location is required for this mode. Also, if the selected electric rate settings result in a very long charge completion time, the vehicle will start charging immediately upon plug-in. For example, if the electric rate table is set up with all 'Peak' rates and the rate preference is to charge during 'Off-Peak' rates only, then the vehicle will start charging immediately upon plug-in. . . ."

"To temporarily override a delayed charging event, unplug the charge cord from the charge port and then plug it back in within five seconds. A single horn chirp will sound and charging will begin immediately."

"To cancel a temporary override, unplug the charge cord, wait for ten seconds, and then plug the charge cord back in. A double horn chirp will sound and charging will be delayed."

Charging status dash light works opposite to the LEAF; solid green means it's charging, slow flashing green means it's plugged in but charging is delayed (i.e. on timer), fast flashing green means it has finished charging. Oh, and with either a solid green or slow flashing green, four horn chirps means there's not enough time to fully charge by the departure time.

And here's some info about the battery and charging practice:

"Do not allow the vehicle to remain in temperature extremes for long periods without being driven or plugged in. It is recommended that the vehicle be plugged in when temperatures are below 0 deg. C (32 deg. F) and above 32 deg. C (90 deg. F)to maximize high voltage battery life. In order to maintain maximum range, fully charge the battery [emphasis added] at each charge event. It is not recommended to partially charge the battery."

Elsewhere it makes clear that cell balancing is likely any time the car's plugged in (they call it conditioning, which I assume could include running the TMS), so leave it plugged in if you can.

Edit: Chevy needs to change the name of the gas Spark so we can just refer to the EV by that. Either that or we need a shorter nickname/acronym for the Spark EV. "SPEV" suggests itself, but sounds somewhat distasteful. Suggestions?

GRA said:
I've been perusing the Spark EV's owner's manual off and on, and thought I'd share some charging info. You can charge in three modes: Immediate, Departure Time (individually settable for each day of the week), and the most interesting one, Rate & Departure Time, which solves a problem that some people have complained about on the LEAF.
Well thought out. Not surprising that GM is ahead of the curve here. They are still the only manufacturer (with the Volt) that randomizes charge start times a bit to keep from overloading the grid. You can see how this would help the grid on the EV Project results in areas with TOU rates.

For example, in San Diego at 12am every day there is a huge spike in load (last report shows about 1 MW) due to LEAFs on timers that all start charging immediately at midnight. Interestingly there is also another smaller spike at 1am, probably due to the broken daylight savings programming on the metering system.

Good Job GM!

drees said:
GRA said:
I've been perusing the Spark EV's owner's manual off and on, and thought I'd share some charging info. You can charge in three modes: Immediate, Departure Time (individually settable for each day of the week), and the most interesting one, Rate & Departure Time, which solves a problem that some people have complained about on the LEAF.
Well thought out. Not surprising that GM is ahead of the curve here. They are still the only manufacturer (with the Volt) that randomizes charge start times a bit to keep from overloading the grid. You can see how this would help the grid on the EV Project results in areas with TOU rates.

For example, in San Diego at 12am every day there is a huge spike in load (last report shows about 1 MW) due to LEAFs on timers that all start charging immediately at midnight. Interestingly there is also another smaller spike at 1am, probably due to the broken daylight savings programming on the metering system.

Good Job GM!
Agreed; GM engineers seem to be really doing an excellent job. The only thing about the Spark EV so far that I feel is a mistake is the 3.3 kW charger from the Volt, and I imagine the bean-counters made that decision (although it does make things easier on the grid if there are EV clusters). So far, everything on the engineering side seems to be well thought out, and it's been a very long time since I could say that about an American brand car (even one built in S. Korea). We'll have to see how well they hold up, but I'm a lot more optimistic about the cycle and calendar life of a LiFePO4 battery with liquid-cooled TMS than I am about the LEAF's LiMn2O4 without it. I can only hope that some rental company will eventually have some locally, so I can try one for a day or weekend.

drees said:
For example, in San Diego at 12am every day there is a huge spike in load (last report shows about 1 MW) due to LEAFs on timers that all start charging immediately at midnight.
San Diego Gas & Electric's peak in the summer is 4,600 MW. I'm not sure 1MW qualifies as a huge spike in load.

GRA said:
The only thing about the Spark EV so far that I feel is a mistake is the 3.3 kW charger from the Volt, and I imagine the bean-counters made that decision (although it does make things easier on the grid if there are EV clusters).
A 3.3 kW charger with that size battery is not as terrible as some here make out. It will fully charge while you sleep. One good thing with the Spark EV is that you should get more miles/hour from L2 charging since the efficiency is about 25% higher (at least for highway driving).

GRA said:
Edit: Chevy needs to change the name of the gas Spark so we can just refer to the EV by that. Either that or we need a shorter nickname/acronym for the Spark EV. "SPEV" suggests itself, but sounds somewhat distasteful. Suggestions?

How about SparkE (Sparky)? :idea:

Title: Real-World Test Shows Chevy Spark-EV Has Substantially More Range Than Nissan LEAF @ 62 mph (w/video)
http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-chevy-spark-ev-has-substainally-more-range-than-nissan-leaf-62-mph-wvideo/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IIRC, Tony couldn’t use cruise control on the ’13 Leaf, since the model he used didn’t have one.
More importantly, we should all treat these as one test by an EV enthusiast. Not a real representation of “real world” – nobody drives at 62 mph for so many miles in the real world.
I’d put more weight on the EPA numbers of 84 for Leaf (and Spark ?) as being more representative of real world conditions (except in cold weather).
I disagree. I spend a lot of time in a car, and frequently want to drive long distances. I could Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM), except I don’t like burning oil, nor do I have one.
Or, I could know how far my vehicle travels at the posted 65mph speed limit, where a typical car actually travels 100km/hr ground speed due to speedometer error. The Spark-EV is unique in having virtually no error between indicated speed and ground speed.
It would be beyond rare when I would be driving city surface streets for 100 miles. But, freeways at steady speeds, I do that daily.
Both the steady speed range and the composite EPA data are useful, depending on where you are driving that day.
The 2013 LEAF-SL we tested did, in fact, have cruise control and we did use it. The 2013 LEAF-S did not, yet both cars finished in substantially the same range.

Hey, those moderators over on the GM-Volt forum are real pieces of ****. It looks like I'll get banned from that one!!!!

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49001-DC-fast-charger-option-to-cost-750&p=841545#post841545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Hey, those moderators over on the GM-Volt forum are real pieces of ****. It looks like I'll get banned from that one!!!!
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49001-DC-fast-charger-option-to-cost-750&p=841545#post841545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are several moderators there. Most just help with spam, keep threads, merged, etcs. It is true some are less tolerant of "directness" than others. I was actually trying to smooth in your various post even if there are some subjects we disagree on. I thought your Spark-EV testing and posting about it here, there, and elsewhere were calm and unbiased even tho I know you are not a GM fan. So thanks for that.

TonyWilliams said:

You need to stop using the F word.

LTLFTcomposite said:
TonyWilliams said:
darHey, those moderators over on the GM-Volt forum are real pieces of ****. It looks like I'll get banned from that one!!!!

That darn "F"nplug

LTLFTcomposite said:
TonyWilliams said:

Facts?

scottf200 said:
There are several moderators there. Most just help with spam, keep threads, merged, etcs. It is true some are less tolerant of "directness" than others.
Yet you made fun of my complaint of the gm-volt site as a "diatribe" without disclosing that you are a moderator on the gm-volt site.
There is no tolerance on that site for anything that is not pro-GM. And especially not allowed from non-Volt owners. WOP stated that plainly in a message to me before banning again. There is no willingness for them to admit mistake either as notes to WOP and even to you are either ignored or seem to get WOP even more upset. You don't own a Leaf, yet it's unlikely that someone would hold that against you here.
It's easy to post here and claim gm-volt is a reasonable forum, but being silenced there with little ability to respond to accusations does not make for an honest discussion.

scottf200 said:
... even tho I know you are not a GM fan. So thanks for that.

For the record, I have owned far more GM products than all my others cars combined:

1964 Chevy Impala - 3 on the tree w/overdrive - 283 V8 upgraded to 350/4 speed
1962 Chevy Biscayne - 3 on the tree - 235 six upgraded to 400 V8
1968 Chevy Camaro SS 396 - 4 speed manual
1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro - 350 - 4 speed manual
1970 Chevelle SS 454 (LS5) auto
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 4x4 4 speed manual
1980? Chevy Chevette
1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 - 5 speed manual
1989 Chevy Corvette - 350 - 6 speed manual
1989 Chevy 1/2 ton short box step side pickup
1993 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 454 V8
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1 - 6 speed manual
2000 Pontiac Gran Prix
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 club cab short box Z71
2001 Cadillac Catera
2004 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 Duramax diesel short box
2008 GM goes bankrupt, owned by taxpayers around the world, $50 BILLION from US treasury

GM promotes Frankenplug and tries numerous attempts to displace current DC charging infrastructure by cutting tax payer funding in favor of their own tax payer owned company's standard.

Builds a pretty good little EV that only is currently used for CARB-ZEV compliance.

TonyWilliams said:
scottf200 said:
... even tho I know you are not a GM fan. So thanks for that.
For the record, I have owned far more GM products than all my others cars combined:
1964 Chevy Impala - 3 on the tree w/overdrive - 283 V8 upgraded to 350/4 speed
1962 Chevy Biscayne - 3 on the tree - 235 six upgraded to 400 V8
1968 Chevy Camaro SS 396 - 4 speed manual
1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro - 350 - 4 speed manual
1970 Chevelle SS 454 (LS5) auto
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 4x4 4 speed manual
1980? Chevy Chevette
1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 - 5 speed manual
1989 Chevy Corvette - 350 - 6 speed manual
1989 Chevy 1/2 ton short box step side pickup
1993 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 454 V8
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1 - 6 speed manual
2000 Pontiac Gran Prix
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 club cab short box Z71
2001 Cadillac Catera
2004 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 Duramax diesel short box
I'm officially impressed. My car history is pretty limited by comparison. I've reviewed it lately with the wife and close friends because I'm trying to understand how my frugal nature and past long term car buying got me into a Volt and now a deposit on a Model X (will keep Volt for wife, kid gets her car).

dm33 said:
Yet you made fun of my complaint of the gm-volt site as a "diatribe" without disclosing that you are a moderator on the gm-volt site.
Anyone here at MNL for any length of time knows I'm a Ford fan who bought a GM Chevrolet Volt after a lot of research. I've been on that forum for 3+ years and moderator for 2.5 (or 2). Anyone can lurch there. If you didn't know I was a moderator there (mainly spam, thread management, etc) then that says something.

scottf200 said:
Title: Real-World Test Shows Chevy Spark-EV Has Substantially More Range Than Nissan LEAF @ 62 mph (w/video)
http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-chevy-spark-ev-has-substainally-more-range-than-nissan-leaf-62-mph-wvideo/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for reminding me of that thread. I've added my comment. Pls update your post with my comment. Also keep it updated so as not to be blatantly partial to one side :lol:

For the record - I do not consider test runs by enthusiasts to be more "valid real world" than EPA tests. Not that EPA tests are perfect - but they are better controlled.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I got banned at GM-Volt some months (years) back. BTW, Scott actually got that ban lifted (I no longer have the time to visit that forum, though). They tend to ban anyone who appears to be not ... hmmm ... "sympathetic" to GM.

They are definitely trigger happy over there compared to us. We have never banned anyone here (except for obvious spams) - though we have come close on a couple of occassions.

scottf200 said:
I'm officially impressed. My car history is pretty limited by comparison. I've reviewed it lately with the wife and close friends because I'm trying to understand how my frugal nature and past long term car buying got me into a Volt and now a deposit on a Model X (will keep Volt for wife, kid gets her car).

I'm sure I forgot a few. I currently have a 1950 GMC 4500 truck (228 six cylinder, 5 speed Fuller "rock crusher" no synchronizers, two speed differential) to haul the John Deere Model M tractor.

dm33 said:
Anyone here at MNL for any length of time knows I'm a Ford fan who bought a GM Chevrolet Volt after a lot of research. I've been on that forum for 3+ years and moderator for 2.5 (or 2). Anyone can lurch there. If you didn't know I was a moderator there (mainly spam, thread management, etc) then that says something.
[/quote]

Which is exactly how most moderation should be... not attacks on unpopular positions like the Frankenplug fiasco. The absolute arrogance demonstrated by some of these folks makes it clear that this really is going to be a war. I hope the CHAdeMO folks aren't too polite to figure that out.

It will give me great pleasure to figuratively jam a Frankenplug sideways where the sun doesn't shine.

So...Tony Williams owned a Chevy Chevette at one time? YIKES! :shock: Tony: what were you thinking??
BTW, back in the '70's, my wife and I looked at a new YUGO. But I decided not to buy one because the door handle came off in my hand when I tried to open the door. :oops:

Back