Charging cable from the ceiling?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Computerizer

As I was plugging in my LEAF when I got home today, picking up the plug from the cradle, unwinding the cord, and carrying it across the garage floor to plug into the car... it occurred to me that it'd be really nice if the cord was just hanging from the ceiling of the garage right where the front of my car ends up, and I could just pull it down a couple feet and snap it in.

It doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to come up with some sort of mechanism for this. Has anyone else done something like this?

You mean something like this?

http://evsellc.com/garage-overhead-ev-charger.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something in between those two. I already have an EVSE so I don't want to buy a new one that mounts directly on the ceiling. I just want to run my 25' cord up the wall, across the ceiling, and down to the car, a lot like that "home grown" solution -- except that I can't reach the ceiling (it's over 9 ft high), so I wouldn't be able to hang the nozzle up like that. I was thinking more of it being in a reel that can retract up a couple feet when I'm not charging.

Computerizer said:
Something in between those two. I already have an EVSE so I don't want to buy a new one that mounts directly on the ceiling. I just want to run my 25' cord up the wall, across the ceiling, and down to the car, a lot like that "home grown" solution -- except that I can't reach the ceiling (it's over 9 ft high), so I wouldn't be able to hang the nozzle up like that. I was thinking more of it being in a reel that can retract up a couple feet when I'm not charging.

I looked at that early-on but it turned out that it really wasn't necessary in my location. What you're probably looking for is something like a "tool retractor", and then fashioning some appropriate way to attach the cable or handle. You'd want to be sure that an accidental "retraction" wouldn't cause a problem or stress the connector. Might not be a bad idea to run the idea by an electrician.

example:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUBBELL-Tool-Retractor-6HH09#productReviewTabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll bet you can come up with a pulley system and make it drop within your reach. My cord is only 15' long so I could never do that. My EVSE is deep into my garage, on the driver's side wall, near my entry door into the house. I have to avoid tripping over the cord when it's in use, to go down the basement stairs (in front of the car).

One drawback to the ceiling hoist - unplugged status on PlugShare!?! :eek:

Nubo said:
I looked at that early-on but it turned out that it really wasn't necessary in my location. What you're probably looking for is something like a "tool retractor", and then fashioning some appropriate way to attach the cable or handle. You'd want to be sure that an accidental "retraction" wouldn't cause a problem or stress the connector. Might not be a bad idea to run the idea by an electrician.

example:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HUBBELL-Tool-Retractor-6HH09#productReviewTabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah! That would do the trick. I could probably come up with a way to safely attach it to the nozzle... I'll have to investigate.

Thanks for the link.

Computerizer said:
If you can't reach the ceiling you could use some sort of elongated hook or rope or bungee cord. If you are looking for "elegant" that's one thing, but if you just want something utilitarian that keeps the cable out of the way when not in use it doesn't have to be fancy. A bungee cord of appropriate length suspended from the ceiling could be hooked around the J1772 "nozzle" to secure it when unplugged, much as I do with my bicycle hook on an eight foot ceiling (which I can easily reach).

One suggestion: whatever you use, position it above the charge hatch position when the car is parked. That way the cord will be out of the way as you walk around the car whether charging or just looped up unplugged.

If you do go with some sort of reel device be aware that the cable can get hot and should not be left coiled while charging, so that the heat can dissipate.

Good idea, like air hoses and grease guns.

I'm still waiting for someone to start be-otching about how EVs are a tripping hazard. Shouldn't be long. Lawyers follow immediately.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Good idea, like air hoses and grease guns.

I'm still waiting for someone to start be-otching about how EVs are a tripping hazard. Shouldn't be long. Lawyers follow immediately.

It's a legitimate concern for any electrical cord that's draped over a walking area. I wrapped mine in yellow tape for visibility, which I think is enough for us, and it's only my junk past that point. :lol:

file.php

There are of course products that can be placed over or attached to the loose cord to minimize tripping hazard and/or damage to the cord.

Nubo said:
It's a legitimate concern for any electrical cord that's draped over a walking area. I wrapped mine in yellow tape for visibility, which I think is enough for us, and it's only my junk past that point. :lol:

There are of course products that can be placed over or attached to the loose cord to minimize tripping hazard and/or damage to the cord.
But why not just suspend the cord from the ceiling and skip the whole tripping hazard/cord damage in the first place? I've been surprised that more people haven't come up with my solution to the problem. Go figure.

Okay, I ended up making a hack of a solution for this. I have two small J-hooks with long threads. I put one directly above the charge port of the car, and another near the intersection of the ceiling and the wall above where the EVSE itself is mounted. I had some long twist-ties laying around (though a thick string would work for this too), and gently tied the cord to the hook in the corner, then to the one right above the car, so that the cord came down just a little bit below the charge port on the car. Then I added another set of long twist-ties that comes down from that same hook and has a small loop at the bottom end, a few feet above the car. This small loop is perfect for me to clip the little latch thing on the nozzle to when it is not in the car.

I'll try to get some sort of pic of it and post it later (it's sort of hard to really see, though).

We can install a commercial cord reel system on any EVSE, but they are very expensive. The best bet is to use a long bungee such that the handle hangs low enough to reach, and still will stretch long enough to reach the inlet without too much stress.

-Phil

Teco has something similar with retractible cord on the ChargePoint installation at the Manatee Viewing Center. It is setup similar to the gas hoses at the gas stations.

They have huge solar panels on stilts in the parking lot (very convenient for shade :lol: ) There is a hook on the underside of the solar panel that has a retracting cable setup, the chargepoint cable has something that looks like a velcro band about 2 feet from the plug. When you take the plug out of the chargepoint cradle, the cable releases and lets you plug into your car. The hoses are not on the ground so you can actually walk under them if necessary. When you are finished, remove from the car and return the plug to the cradle. The cable retracts and the chargepoint hose pulls up so it is level with the chargepoint station.

I'll take a picture next time I'm by there.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but just had to share how I'm doing this.

I'm using a retractable dog leash, with an EVSE sitting on the rafters in my garage, and an eye bolt mounted above the rafters. I can lower/rise the plug within seconds, plus I don't have any stress on the J1772 connector (a problem I had with bungees etc), very cheap and works well.

I have 2 pics, somewhat hard to take pics of, but after I get my LEAF, will try to redo this. The white component is just a weight. I plan on getting a bigger unit from Harbor Freight, so it might be able to retract just by pushing the button (right now, I push the button while holding the J1772 plug, let it roll up some of the leash, lock, pull the cable, rinse/repeat). It's extremely easy to use, and the EVSE is still in really good & clean shape because of this.

prius_cord1.jpg

prius_cord2.jpg

Back