Changing the minds of peers on week 1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

My area (Lansing/Mason Michigan) is full of republicans, conservatives, and 'country folk'. Almost everyone I know around here owns a hunting rifle or gun; 60% of the guys I work with are avid hunters & fishermen. Lots of pick-ups, mustangs, and suv's.

I got my 2013 SV tuesday and it has attracted alot of attention from everyone I come into contact with. People have felt the need to drop by my office all week and make comments like 'so I hear you bought a tree hugging mobile huh?' and 'what are you doing? isnt that un-american to buy a forigen car and not buy gas (sarcasim)?' Some people have also expressed how unfair they think it is that I get a 7500 tax credit to 'subsidize my car' and since I am not buying gas that I am not paying my fair share in taxes for the roads. I anticipated such comments; I just laugh at their jokes and listen to their concerns and not take them personally.

Once I let them tell their jokes or voice their concerns I remind them that I am the same guy that I was last week who drove a 2003 Ford Taurus. I dont really bother addressing thier comments directly; I really dont have to. I explain to them why I bought the car. I tell them I got it because A) I wanted a new car B) EV's cost less per mile to drive than ICE's. I tell them it was mostly an economic decision - the car almost pays for itself in fuel savings. I could have found 'normal' cars at the samy car paymet but I remind them I would also have at least $100 in gas a month to pay for

I tell everyone the story about how the dealership where I purchased my Leaf is 68 miles away. Because I was going to turn my old Taurus in I did not fill it up on Monday like I normally do; when it came time to drive to the dealership on tuesday my low fuel light turned on. So, knowing my car gets 20-25mpg highway I put 3 gallons of gas in costing me $10.80. I then inform them that I drove the Leaf 68miles home in less than 1 charge and to charge it back to full that it night it cost about $2.25.

Once I tell them that story I see them thinking... they usually smile and hit me with the same 20 questions 'how far can it go?' 'how long does it take to charge?' 'what kind of maintance does it have?' "what if you run out'?

Then, before I know it people want to go for a ride. One guy even bought me lunch when I drove him around. Once I give them a ride they are impressed and say its a really nice, cool, car. They all say the same thing 'this does not feel like an underpowerded cramped econobox at all'.

2 of the 'car guys' on my team admit it could compete with their 'sporty' ICE cars off the line. I think we will be lining up at a red light in the near future to make some direct comparisons. I also found several people keep coming back making more jokes, then asking more questions. Each time they leave I can tell they have been enlightened.

What I have found is that most people didnt even this car was available let alone for such a low price. I find myself turning into an EV embassader of sorts. My boss spends at least 1 hour a day in my office asking me about the pervious day's driving and charging experience. People are really paying attention to my facebook posts and what I have to say about the care; how far I drove that day and what my battery charge level is. People want me to keep posting; they keep asking questions.

So in one weeks time I feel like I have changed the minds of several people around me just through sharing my reasons for getting the car and sharing my experience. Showing them that yes, I can drive fast all day, chage up at night using a regular outlet, and do it all over again the next day.

My next 'trick' that I am going to show people around me is how I can do a 106mile round trip in 1 day. Taking my son to his grandfathers house for the afternoon (charging as we visit).

The very first question I always get is "What about when the battery runs out"? The perception out there about these pure EV's is that they just die unexpectedly like a TV remote. I give them an easy answer that works every time: "What happens when you ignore your gas gauge and run out in the middle of the road?: You're stuck there, waiting for the cops to come. If you ignore that same fuel gauge in the EV, it gives even more precise warning that it's low, AND when it's all out it will go into turtle mode and give me 25mph for 10 minutes so I can park where I want and wait for my kids to come, instead of the cops.

- I'm not actually sure how long I can drive on turtle, I don't actually want to push it.

i have been driving the LEAF for two years. I look around at all the ICEs and wonder: what are they thinking?

i never go to a gas station
when i want to go more than 70 miles, I take my ICE
even without solar, i go everywhere within that radius, including my daily commute for less than 2 cents a mile.

CMYK4Life said:
My boss spends at least 1 hour a day in my office asking me about the pervious day's driving and charging experience.
Sounds like it's time to get back to work and quit yakking! :lol:

Seriously, this is very cool. My observation has been that many conservatives are interested in EVs, and even in protecting the environment. (Shouldn't it be "conservative" to want to "conserve" our limited natural resources?) Most of the antipathy toward EVs, in my opinion, has been generated by talking heads and by politicians full of hot air.

And congratulations on your new LEAF!

RePo said:
The very first question I always get is "What about when the battery runs out"? The perception out there about these pure EV's is that they just die unexpectedly like a TV remote.
This is undoubtably the most common question I get asked as well. I think people are used to battery operated gadgets like electric drills and flashlights and such that do not give you any sort of feedback on how much power you have remaining. Even many gadgets of the 1990's that offered such a gauge were often inaccurate (cell phones come to mind) and thus would often just die unexpectedly. When I actually show people the car, I show them the battery gauge, I show them the GOM (no, I don't usually explain how it can often show a wide variety of estimates.. I only go into that if they are really interested in more detail) and I'll show them the range circle on the navigation map, along with charging stations. People suddenly realize that it isn't all that much different from a gasoline car in this regard, except that the range is shorter and the refill time is longer. But at that point I think people realize they aren't just going to be driving down the highway and suddenly have the car slow down and die on them.

When I see negative articles or comments written about EVs one of the most common statements I see is that if electric cars ever catch on, "you'll see them all over the sides of the highway, dead and out of power. " And again, I believe this attitude comes from the same line of thinking, which is that a person will not have any idea how much further they can drive before they run out of juice.

they learn pretty quickly how to work, play and live while plugging in their phones and toothbrushes and, voila, these tools work well.
but you didnt have to plug in your landline or your old toothbrush.

I have the answer when they say you "how unfair it is that I get a 7500 tax credit to 'subsidize my car' and since I am not buying gas that I am not paying my fair share in taxes for the roads...", it's most unfair that they can drive with a car that emits carcinogenic gases and when they gas buy send money to countries enemies of America like Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, and all the americans must pay a war in Middle Est to protect the oil interests and that it's really expensive.

A person with a hugge ICE SUV who drive for highway or downtown with only a person it's not a american defender, it's a enemie because they buy too much oil from american's enemies.

And I am not a "eco-tree democrat", my political orientation its republicans in my country (I'm not american and don't live in America, I'm from Europe).

CMYK4Life said:
My area (Lansing/Mason Michigan) is full of republicans, conservatives, and 'country folk'. Almost everyone I know around here owns a hunting rifle or gun; 60% of the guys I work with are avid hunters & fishermen. Lots of pick-ups, mustangs, and suv's.
considering that I am a conservative ''country folk' who loves his guns and is pro life I take huge offense of your condescending/most ignorant characterizations you've made. people of all stripes can and do appreciate the EV cars, are early adopters of new technology and apparently are much more open minded than you are

apvbguy said:
CMYK4Life said:
considering that I am a conservative ''country folk' who loves his guns and is pro life I take huge offense of your condescending/most ignorant characterizations you've made. people of all stripes can and do appreciate the EV cars, are early adopters of new technology and apparently are much more open minded than you are

Sorry for offending you. The people around me harass me about this car and the fact that I dont hunt or own guns. I have developed a thick skin about it and just smile and laugh with them rather than give them the satisfaction of showing them I am frustirated. I advise you do the same.
This was just a story about my personal experience so far; Not an attack on people who live in the country and own guns; I said nothing about the pro life pro choice debate.

simma donna

i remember driving a beat up Toyota Corona back in the 70's when going to high school in MI. it was a relatively intolerant place and my Asian heritage did not help.

In Jan, 2009, I went to see the unveiling of the 2010 Prius for the Detroit Auto Show. we were invited by Toyota for a special preview. during my whole time there, I only saw one Prius and that one was owned by another person invited to the show. IOW, there was not a single sighting of a Prius by a true local the whole 3 days I was there and yes, I was looking...

I got on the plane, flew back to WA, got into my car and sat in traffic leaving Seatac in my Prius along with a few dozen other Priuses. the difference could not have been more obvious.

I'm another Michigan LEAF owner. I live out on the edge of the country, shop in the Ann Arbor area, and work in the Detroit area (a little mix of everything). It means I cover a lot of area in my limited range electric car, but it also means it leaves a lot of room for me to be an equal opportunity offender.

The UAW workers are frustrated because I'm passing them in a foreign car.
The conservatives are puzzled because there's a green car with gun stickers on the back window.
The liberals are equally confused and pissed that THEIR symbol is being used to promote such offensive barbarism.
And I'm confused because I bought a subsidized car, I'm a libertarian, and my last car wasn't a Prius, but a V8 sedan!

The thing people can't seem to understand is why I would want to go from an unlimited range Ford Crown Victoria to a limited range Nissan LEAF. They can't get over that range issue. They don't seem to understand how plugging in is actually more convenient than filling up. But the one thing that gets them thinking is when I say this:

To drive my Crown Vic to and from work every day costs me $400/mo.
To drive the LEAF costs me $40/mo.
In one month, I'm spending almost 1/2 what I would spend on a tank of gas.
The LEAF payment is $325/mo.
So I'm getting a brand new car PLUS electricity to get me to/from work for less than what it cost to just fill up a used cop car without cruise control, without remote start, without heated seats, without heated steering wheel, without XM, without SatNav, without bluetooth, etc...

It really gets people thinking when I mention how much gas sucks, because that's one thing everyone can agree upon.

Also, having them take it for a test drive in the parking lot is an eye opener. A lot of these people have never experienced the sensation of being propelled without explosions happening under the hood.

Congratulations. Keep giving them real information (low cost, smooth, quiet, 50-80 mi highway range, ease of charging overnight, prewarm timers, etc.). Take people to lunch in your car every chance you get. Eventually the realization will take and even the most pessimistic person will realize (contrary to certain AM radio trash talkers) that EVs are real cars, better than ICEs for in-town driving, and not only for the greenie-weenies. "Batteries Included, No Oil War Required"

^^^
kubel's made some amusing posts here such as what was quoted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=212981#p212981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For some reason, he removed "The perplexion on peoples faces..." I remember seeing it when it was still up.

(And, no, I don't really care to get sucked into a gun debate online... I sometimes take a peek every now and then.)

kubel said:
I'm another Michigan LEAF owner. I

The thing people can't seem to understand is why I would want to go from an unlimited range Ford Crown Victoria to a limited range Nissan LEAF. They can't get over that range issue. They don't seem to understand how plugging in is actually more convenient than filling up. But the one thing that gets them thinking is when I say this:

To drive my Crown Vic to and from work every day costs me $400/mo.
To drive the LEAF costs me $40/mo.
In one month, I'm spending almost 1/2 what I would spend on a tank of gas.
The LEAF payment is $325/mo.
So I'm getting a brand new car PLUS electricity to get me to/from work for less than what it cost to just fill up a used cop car without cruise control, without remote start, without heated seats, without heated steering wheel, without XM, without SatNav, without bluetooth, etc...

It really gets people thinking when I mention how much gas sucks, because that's one thing everyone can agree upon.

Also, having them take it for a test drive in the parking lot is an eye opener. A lot of these people have never experienced the sensation of being propelled without explosions happening under the hood.

I agree 100% once I made that connection there was no way I could get it off my mind. After a month of reading and figuring out my cost savings running several scenarios. I took a test drive at the Ann Arbor dealership and that was all I needed; I was like 'where do I sign?!'

Bottom line is; haters gonna hate. All who adhere to logic and reason convert (at least in principal).

Back