Battery Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
I seriously doubt there will be any warranty for gradual and normal loss of capacity even if severe.

Doesn't make sense - if the capacity suddenly becomes say 40% within 3 months - what will they do ? There has to be a capacity based warranty ... what we don't know is the remedy that Nissan would employ.

Down to 40% in the first three months would not seem gradual or normal to me.
Down to 40% by the end of the warranty period may well not be covered. JMO

If one cell is the problem, causing the 40% decreased performance, it should be considered faulty, IMO.

However, if you only use 50% of your charge each day, then refill, how would you (or the LEAF) know that one cell would limit your LEAF's performance if you tried to use 80% of the "range" (charge)?

Pro-rated. It does not matter where the issue is, you can measure the kwh used and check capacity

EVDRIVER said:
Pro-rated. It does not matter where the issue is, you can measure the kwh used and check capacity

If you have a car with a Diesel ICE, do you usually rev it up to max revs and leave it there for a while, just to test it works in accordance with the manufacturer's warranty?

Norway said:
EVDRIVER said:

If you have a car with a Diesel ICE, do you usually rev it up to max revs and leave it there for a while, just to test it works in accordance with the manufacturer's warranty?

Not sure how that is a realistic comparison. Pack health is a key feature of an EV, if you own one or know people who do they absolutely check their capacity over time. If your range declines over time you will check it, if you drive 10 miles a day you may but you also may not care since you only drive 10 miles. If you use the majority of the pack at times you will know it is changing and on a car with limited range this is important.

evnow said:
Anyone really worried about battery warranty could lease. You can buy your next EV ...

ps : I'm always amazed at people who worry about small things and completely miss the big picture, like Peak Oil.

I'm always amazed that people underestimate my ability to worry about multiple things at once. :D

Norway said:

Absolutely! And with a big grin on my face! :lol:

Chelsea posted this sometime back. Nissan sent this in an email to her.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=11970#p11970

"Another cool feature of the dash display I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the battery capacity gauge. The SOC display on the far right has 12 blue and white bars, each indicating about 2 kWh, but the matching 10 white and two 2 red bars to the right of those SOC bars aren't just a fixed legend, but are an active display of battery pack capacity that will vary in the short term due to extremes of temperature and in the long term as the pack ages.

When the top two capacity bars don't light anymore, the pack will have lost nearly the 20% of capacity that Nissan figures would indicate end of life, at least for EV service.

Nissan hopes to develop a secondary market for the "80% packs" for use as backup batteries and in off-grid wind and solar systems. Trade-in value would reduce the net cost of a replacement pack for EV owners."

smkettner said:
I cannot even imagine trading batteries at 80%. I am not sure how low I would tolerate.... have to see the replacement cost.

Well, that all depends on many factors, right? I mean, let's say you're 3 years down the road, your pack is now at 80% but Nissan says replacement isn't covered under warranty because it's "normal" (Nissan dealers have a reputation for trying to get out of any warranty repairs).

Now you're looking at either keeping your existing pack with an [estimated] 80 mile range, or "trading in" for a new pack which could very well be a better pack by then, more reliable with double range, for a couple thousand dollars.

It all depends on the cost, trade-in value (which obviously affects the cost), and what options and stats are available for the new pack.

I fully expect the Leaf to be upgradable as the battery technology improves down the road. At least I certainly HOPE so, otherwise resale for the gen 1 will be dismal in a short amount of time.

I bought a new Leaf 2 days ago, the dealer told me that in order for them to honor the warrantee on the battery I had to pay $260 every 6 months to have the battery serviced, and if I missed having the battery/car serviced even once then the warrantee is no good.

does anyone know anything about this?

ElectricLeaf said:
Yes. It's a lie.

You must have your battery checked once each year for the battery warranty to be honored. The first two checks are included in the price of the car. After that, it's on you. The details are in the warranty book which came with your car.

I would find another dealer to service my LEAF if I were you...

ElectricLeaf said:
I bought a new Leaf 2 days ago, the dealer told me that in order for them to honor the warrantee on the battery I had to pay $260 every 6 months to have the battery serviced, and if I missed having the battery/car serviced even once then the warrantee is no good.

To maintain the battery warranty requires an annual battery check which the first two are complimentary. Should say so right in your service schedule book. So the first thing I suggest is to find another dealer to service your Leaf.

As the others said: Run as fast as you can to a different dealer! That dealer is a lair and cheat! You only need a battery report annually and the first two are free!

Please do let us know what the name of the dealer is and where you are located.

ElectricLeaf said:

ElectricLeaf said:

This sounds quite odd. Could this be a "leak" of the roll out of the new battery warranty program ??

I bought my car from the Nissan of Elk Grove dealer in California,
and I think their misinformation about the battery was just an effort to try and sell me their inspection package.
their sales pitch was that if I pay $1100 for inspections upfront then I wouldn't have to pay the $260 every 6 months, and I would get a couple of years of free inspections on the end.
Which it sounds like I should get anyway.
I guess you have to kind of expect that from some car salesmen.

ElectricLeaf said:
... and if I missed having the battery/car serviced even once then the warrantee is no good. ...
They can't actually refuse to honor the warranty JUST because of missed maintenance. They have to prove that the missed maintenance caused the problem. Pretty hard to do. That said, of course you should have the battery checks done on schedule.

Back