AV charging station. Any issue to report?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsf

I keep on running into posts from people reporting charging problems. Often the Blink charging station seem to be in the picture...
Has anyone who got the AV EVSE encountered problems such as:
- car not charging when it was supposed to.
- Amber light of death

Just curious...

Mine has never failed to charge properly. I believe I have seen one post where the AV EVSE was defective and had to be replaced. Other than that, no charging problems have been reported for the AV unit to my knowledge. I consider it to be pretty bulletproof, and would go for the same charging dock today.

I purchased mine "Cash & Carry" and "temporarily connected it to an existing circuit when I picked up the LEAF in June. It has worked flawlessly, but I found out that it will instantaneously trip a two-pole GFCI breaker (hooked it to my 20-ampere air compressor circuit). I had to replace the breaker with a non-GFCI breaker until I get a chance to install the new sub panel for the garage.

There is nothing wrong with the AV unit, it just verifies proper ground connections by injecting a small current onto the ground conductor (green wire). The current it injects is enough to trip a GFCI breaker. As with all EVSE units, the AV has built-in ground fault protection. Since the AV unit is supposed to be hardwired to a dedicated circuit, it is not designed to work with upstream GFCI protection on garage receptacles.

Gerry

Back