April Deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talked to Nissan and they explained that VIN's are issued at the factory in Japan about 30 days before the cars expected delivery date so going on that I'd assume my car is still in Japan. Hope they test it for radiation. Should I buy a Geiger counter? Only slightly kidding.

healy100 said:
As I understand it VIN numbers aren't issued until the car arrives at the dock and I have a VIN so what's with the over one month wait?

VINs are stamped and stickered all over the cars. They absolutely are assigned at the factory.

But the assignment of a VIN to a customer (coincident with the opening of Carwings) has been a post-arrival in Long Beach event. At least to this point.

JimK said:
I’ve been watching this forum long enough to observe that everyone gets jerked around in the final delivery phase. My date started at week of Apr. 15 then 4-18, 4-15, 4-19, and today 4-22. I have a warped desire to get my Leaf on 4-20, that will be exactly one year from when I reserved it!
My date moves have been fairly similar to yours (see sig). I agree 4/20 would be cool, to mark the 1-year thing. My youngest son's hoping for 4/26, 'cause that's his birthday. But my absolute favorite date is: As soon as possible!

boyodublin said:
Ditto!!
These people (Nissan) are crazy!!

Remember the earthquake and tsunami have disrupted not only the ships headed across the water, but also plants, supply chains and operations in general. I'm pretty sure some Leafs even already the port in Los Angles or on the way at the time of the disaster may be a bit delayed as a result.

The entire industry is dealing with supply chain issues. There are many stories about plant stoppages due to missing parts. This isn't just the Japanese, but the Detroit OEMs as well.

LonghornLeaf said:
boyodublin said:
Ditto!!
These people (Nissan) are crazy!!

The entire industry is dealing with supply chain issues. There are many stories about plant stoppages due to missing parts. This isn't just the Japanese, but the Detroit OEMs as well.

These cars (with Vins and assigned delivery dates) are already in the U.S. -- sitting in a huge parking lot in Long Beach.

Unless you want some wacky accessory like the Eco Design package (for which one poster here reported a risk of delay) there are no known issues of delivery delay related to parts availability. See Brendan's post here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2213&start=520

Got a call from my dealer just now, my Leaf is IN!!!!

We were planning to pick it up tomorrow, since my wife has the day off, but the dealer wants me to come by tonight to do the bulk of the paperwork as they would like to have it on the March books. Then do the official delivery appointment tomorrow as planned.

My question is this:
Since my wife wants to drive it before agreeing to actually buy it, and she can't go tonight (I can, she can't), is there a problem with this? I mean, if I do all the paperwork, does that lock us in completely? Or when we go for delivery tomorrow can we still back out (in the very unlikely event that my wife freaks out about something)?

blorg said:
Got a call from my dealer just now, my Leaf is IN!!!!

We were planning to pick it up tomorrow, since my wife has the day off, but the dealer wants me to come by tonight to do the bulk of the paperwork as they would like to have it on the March books. Then do the official delivery appointment tomorrow as planned.

My question is this:
Since my wife wants to drive it before agreeing to actually buy it, and she can't go tonight (I can, she can't), is there a problem with this? I mean, if I do all the paperwork, does that lock us in completely? Or when we go for delivery tomorrow can we still back out (in the very unlikely event that my wife freaks out about something)?

I picked mine up yesterday on a lease. I know that the lease paperwork states that there is no "cooling off period" in CA for a lease.

My impression is that if you sign on the dotted line, you're done and it will be hard to back out at that point.

Given your comments, I'd ask the dealer if the car is able to be driven tonight, even though it is not completely prepped. In fact, I drove min with the plastic over all of the seats and the car still needing to be washed, etc, and then they got it all prepped while I did the paperwork. I had no problem with doing that.

Either that, or maybe they have another LEAF that she could drive around the block, a demonstrator, one that belongs to an exec there, etc.

I'd just call the dealer and tell him your problem. I'm sure he'll work with you to satisfy both of you. After all, you're doing him a favor by helping him to meet his March numbers.

BlueSL said:
These cars (with Vins and assigned delivery dates) are already in the U.S. -- sitting in a huge parking lot in Long Beach.

My only point is that the Leaf is not the only vehicle which Nissan is trying to manufacture, ship and distribute. Some cars WILL sit in a lot longer when there are other issues to solve.

signing on the dotted line is significant, but if your wife is not there to sign also then the paperwork is not really done until she takes the test drive and then she also signs. I think they just want to get all the information typed into the computer because that is the longest task. By giving them your license and insurance and loan information a day ahead, they can put it all into the computer and be prepared for when you come in to sign, so you are not locked in.

On top of that, the no cooling off period does not begin until you take the car off of the lot. As long as they still have possession of the car, the deal can be unwound. They won't like it, but it is the way the law works in CA. WA may very, and I have no idea of how you may be effected.

blorg said:
My question is this:
Can't speak for WA but in CA if you sign the paperwork it is FINAL. No cooling off period etc.
If you sign you may as well bring it home.

Thanks for all the input. Regarding my wife signing, while the vehicle will practically be hers, it will be registered in MY name. So I'm the one that will be doing all the paperwork, but she is the one making the decisions.

I'll talk it over with the dealer. I agree, if there's any doubt in my mind, it's no skin off my back to wait until tomorrow since we can't bring it home tonight anyway. I don't mind helping him out to put it on the March books (plus it gives me the chance to see the actual car) but I need to reserve the right to back out tomorrow if necessary.

I'm not sure what the lease rules are in Washington. I know that for BUYING a car there is definitely a cooling off period, I guess I didn't expect a lease to be different.

(granted, all of this is basically insignificant because she already has test driven a Leaf and is 99.9% sure she wants it, but she just doesn't want to really lock in that decision permanently until she's seen it and driven it herself in person)

From what I understand, there is no cooling period for either lease or purchase of a car in WA. Once you sign the documents and take possession, it's yours.

The cooling off period is for things like health memberships, door to door sales, and a bunch of other things. Car sales or leases are not subject to the cooling off period.

Who needs the stress? The dealership won't fold if this car doesn't make it into March...just tell him it's not convenient for you, and sorry it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

planet4ever said:
For what it's worth, I just got a new excuse from CS as to why dates are slipping. The fellow told me a lot of cars are held up in Customs, and can't be unloaded.
Makes sense - normally we'd have a slew of Carwings / "week of" notifications within a couple days of a ship unloading, but now it's been about a week.

I bet that they are holding them up in customs to check for radiation even though there's no way these cars were exposed since they left port before the quake. Stupid bureaucracy.

Mine has been "Week of 18th" for three days already...
I am crossing my fingers, PLEASE no "double VIN#" or stuck at custom that type of mayhem.

Question: For people having "double VIN#", when they click on "Owner's Portal", it shows up 2 VIN# under "MY VEHICLES" of the Nissan Owners page?

I got the call !! My Cayenne Red LEAF came a day early!

The first LEAF in West Texas!

Since my local dealer wasn't certified for LEAF yet, a dealer in Lubbock took delivery this morning, then trucked it up to Amarillo (about 125 miles) this afternoon. They apparently had local TV coverage of the arrival of the first mass market 100% electric car. It may be a shock to the oil patch here.

I picked it up this evening. It took a couple hours at the dealer to go over all the technology and how to do everything. I wanted to just sign the paperwork and start driving; the whole process took a couple hours. It was the first one for everyone involved, and it took a while.

Next stop - a visit to Cadillac Ranch to pay homage to automotive history.

AmarilloLeaf said:
.....Snip.....

Congratulations! We need to see a Leaf picture against those Caddy's.

Reddy (and waiting in Pending for my new Leaf)

AmarilloLeaf said:
I got the call !! My Cayenne Red LEAF came a day early!

Since my local dealer wasn't certified for LEAF yet, a dealer in Lubbock took delivery this morning, then trucked it up to Amarillo (about 125 miles) this afternoon. They apparently had local TV coverage of the arrival of the first mass market 100% electric car. It may be a shock to the oil patch here.

I picked it up this evening. It took a couple hours at the dealer to go over all the technology and how to do everything. I wanted to just sign the paperwork and start driving; the whole process took a couple hours. It was the first one for everyone involved, and it took a while.

Great to hear, Amarillo. Too bad they don't make a LEAF in yellow to match your name and locale.

Keep the good fight going down there in the oil patch!

Back