2014 May Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 3117, Total 12053

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a X reservation... When I was invited to see the proto some months ago, the rep there indicated that it was 80% the Model S platform and that the four wheel drive unit could basically bolt on to a S should they decide to offer it in that model in the future... Originally the X was going to be available in both 2 and 4 wheel drive versions...

lorenfb said:
It's claimed to be a 4 wheel drive, so hardly the MS platform.
"10,000 reservations and the volume production date is still a year away."

Lorenfb is trying hard to somehow get convinced that X is a vaporware and the whole Tesla revolution will fizzle out. There were many 'Lorenfbs' at this stage of the game a year before Model S hit production:

'Oh! it will never see the light of day'
'Musk, is scam artist and he will take your money and run away'
'They will make a few hundred, may be touch four figures and then the ponzi scheme will start unraveling'
'After the initial adopters dry out, maybe a few hundred, there won't be any takers'
'Most of the reservation holders will cancel when the time comes to pony up $100K'

yada yada yada. 50K Model S on the road now, and going strong. Interestingly there are more Model X reservations at this stage, a year prior to release compared to Model S.

lorenfb said:
Right, and many still buy the TSLA stock at over $200 when all financial metrics indicate otherwise.
A lot happens in a year. So dream on!
Have you shorted TSLA ?

mkjayakumar said:
Interestingly there are more Model X reservations at this stage, a year prior to release compared to Model S.
And then there are those of us who are very interested in purchasing the Model X but not in committing to a reservation. Our preference will be to purchase a Tesla loaner at a bit of a discount (still considered a new vehicle) or perhaps pick up a used one with some cosmetic damage. I'd prefer used, but then again, the resale value on the Tesla S continues to be quite strong. A purchaser who qualifies for the full tax credit might be better off going with a new vehicle, at least for the first year or two.

To my family, the Model X is more compelling than the Model S because of the larger passenger space and AWD (due to our usually-snowy winters and CA chain requirements for 2WD). I'd also prefer more headroom than the Model S offers. Crossovers like the Model X are popular because so many people find them to be practical and comfortable. I'm not really sold on the falcon wing doors because we have no garage and our cars get covered with snow, but that's not a major concern. I could easily see Model X sales eclipsing the Model S.

BTW, I converted my Model S reservation to X (once 40 kwh was confirmed not to offer supercharging) - so I too have an X reservation. But unlikely to buy ...

GRA said:
Just to keep things in perspective so we don't get too giddy, while monthly PEV sales hit a (estimated) new high of 12,053, that was out of 1,606,264 total sales, or a yearly rate of 16.77 million. So we're up to 0.75%, which is nice, but there's still a long way to go. All AFV sales for May can be found here:

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/06/04/may-2014-green-car-sales-numbers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While that is true, the 1,606,264 sales were of light duty vehicles, which includes small trucks. If we remove the truck sales, the montly cars sales are 773,916, so the new number is 1.56%. It has been over 1% since about May of 2013, but I wasn't always able to get to real numbers. Thanks to Wards Automotive, we now can.

I'm hoping we can get to 2% of new cars sold by years end.

Gary

garygTx said:
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/06/04/may-2014-green-car-sales-numbers/
While that is true, the 1,606,264 sales were of light duty vehicles, which includes small trucks. If we remove the truck sales, the montly cars sales are 773,916, so the new number is 1.56%. It has been over 1% since about May of 2013, but I wasn't always able to get to real numbers. Thanks to Wards Automotive, we now can.

I'm hoping we can get to 2% of new cars sold by years end.

Gary[/quote]

Nice work. It will be good when there are EV Trucks and non-compliance SUV Evs, too. It will be interesting to see if the same percentages will apply.

evnow said:
BTW, I converted my Model S reservation to X (once 40 kwh was confirmed not to offer supercharging) - so I too have an X reservation. But unlikely to buy ...
You paid $5K for a reservation but are unlikely to buy?

DanCar said:
evnow said:
You paid $5K for a reservation but are unlikely to buy?
Hmmm ... yes. Considering how important Tesla is to EV movement (and in hindsight how well my small investment in TSLA has done) I have no problem giving Tesla a $5k interest free, unguaranteed loan.

evnow said:
Hmmm ... yes. Considering how important Tesla is to EV movement (and in hindsight how well my small investment in TSLA has done) I have no problem giving Tesla a $5k interest free, unguaranteed loan.
If it is a hot product you might be able to sell your place in line.

davidcary said:
I believe reservations are $5000 so not insignificant.<snip>
Has any car ever had $50 million in deposits a year from volume production?
The ~1,300 signature reservations were $40,000.

eju69mw.png

Back